Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D Delivery Disaster, trying to resolve it with Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am posting this on this forum in hopes that someone at Tesla who cares about customer service and doing right by their customers reads this, or someone on this forum and help me get in contact with someone. I have tried dealing with the local service center and they are unwilling to make the situation right, that lead me to hire an attouney and I told him that I honestly do not want to proceed with a lawsuit but I was hopeful that he could speak to the Tesla legal department and get it resolved without litigation but he has tried for two weeks now and they will not return phone calls or emails. Next week he is going to have to take it to the next step and I really want to avoid all this. All I want is to get the new car I paid for, nothing more.

I ordered a P100D in late June, I signed all paperwork, paid what I had to pay, they took my car in on trade, and even had me put insurance on it before July 1st and the car was being shipped to my house from California. Honestly doing all that paperwork and paying and even putting insurance on it before you even get the car seemed odd and a little wrong since I was now already making payments on a car that I don't even have yet but that was the process. The car arrives at my house the second week of July and while it is still up on the flatbed I see issues and I tell the driver to leave it up there while I call the Dania Service Center who handled the delivery. I spoke to someone there about the issues and asked if I should send it back or take it. She told me to take it and to send her pictures so I had the driver drop the car off in my driveway, took the pictures, and put it in the garage.

First let me preface my description of the issues by saying that I am in the collision repair industry and own five collision repair centers in South Florida, so I know what I am looking at and know what it takes and how to fix the issues with the car. The car was completely covered in sand scratches from a DA. Someone wetsanded and buffed the car who was not qualified to do so. They were on every panel of the car and even the tail lights were scratched and need to be replaced. The car honestly looked like it was 5 years old and neglected but it was a new car with 5.2 miles on it. The only way to fix these sand scratches are to wet sand it again which I did not want done because it is going to remove more of the clear coat than has already been removed from when they did it the first time or repaint the car which I also did not want done. The trunk also had a dent on it. I can get into more details about the sand scratches and the issues with repairing them more and send photos if someone at Tesla wants to get back to me directly but they are so bad that they really cannot be repaired without repainting some panels.

The Dania Beach Service Center agreed from the pictures that it was very bad and agreed to take it back and get me a new car. They had it picked up the following week with the same 5.2 miles on it it had when they dropped it off and they ordered me another car. A few days after they called me and informed me that they just realized that my car had already been registered and she told me they could no longer take it back. I told her that they registered it in late June when I ordered it (no idea how she nor any of the managers at the service center didn’t know that if that is their process for new car delivery) and that the right thing to do is for them to figure out how to get me a new car because that is what I paid for but if I have absolutely no choice but to keep this one they have to give me a discount on the car. I wanted a discount on the car and I would handle repainting what needs to be repainted, repairing the rest of the paint, fixing the dent on the trunk, and replacing the tail lights. They called me back a few days later and told me "We cannot agree to your terms, what we can do for you is get this car as good as we can." I told her that wouldn't work for me and that I didn't pay $167,000 for a new car to get a car that that is "as good as they can get" and that will never be right and never be like a new car. I told her that I paid full price and I deserve a car that is like new not with damage and that needs to be painted and that if they are forcing me to take that one then I deserve a discount. She again said they could not and I said that I would have to explore other means to get this resolved.

Then I contacted an attorney and told him that I just want to get this resolved without litigation. I was hopeful that he would get in contact with someone higher up the chain of command, explain what happened to me and that they would obviously see how wrong it is and just get me another car but he has had no luck with really getting in contact with anyone. He says next week we have to take the next step and send certified letters so that they can't keep ignoring this. I really want to avoid all this, I just want I deserve. I paid for a new car and that's all I want. If that absolutely cannot be done I am willing to work something out with this car, give me a discount on it which will include the cost for me to repair it, reimburse me my payments for the two months that I have not had my car, and Tesla can wash their hands of this issue. I feel like I am being more than fair and I am only asking to get what I paid for. It is just not right that someone pays full price for a car sight unseen and one could get lucky and get a new car that looks like a new car should look or one could get one like mine with damage on every single panel, needs body work, and needs panels repainted. How can those two people pay the same thing for those cars and Tesla just ignore and avoid this obvious issue in their buying process.

I am not posting the pictures on here because I really don't want to bash Tesla or give them bad publicity I am just trying to get this resolved. I don't think that upper management at Tesla would agree with how this has been handled, I just think that my case hasn't made it to the right people. I know that upper management can't be responsible for the actions of all their employees at all their service centers so I am giving them the benefit of the doubt and hope someone in the company cares enough to reach out to me and resolve this.

I am not posting the pictures on here because I really don't want to bash Tesla or give them bad publicity I am just trying to get this resolved.

Hmm. Seems like you did a good job of it. Pictures would tell us volumes. Since you own 5 collision shops I am sure you have plenty of insurance adjusters taking photos. Why haven't you? I can assure you there are plenty of paint experts out on the forum that could judge the degree of your unhappiness. Till then it just seems like you went all the way with the effort to write the post, then did not really finish it with pictures.

I can't figure out why you did not refuse delivery. Seeing those problems with your expertise. Would have been a slam dunk in my opinion.

Why did you have car shipped to your home? Why not take delivery at Tesla?

Hmm. Seems like you did a good job of it. Pictures would tell us volumes. Since you own 5 collision shops I am sure you have plenty of insurance adjusters taking photos. Why haven't you? I can assure you there are plenty of paint experts out on the forum that could judge the degree of your unhappiness. Till then it just seems like you went all the way with the effort to write the post, then did not really finish it with pictures.

I can't figure out why you did not refuse delivery. Seeing those problems with your expertise. Would have been a slam dunk in my opinion.

Why did you have car shipped to your home? Why not take delivery at Tesla?

I'm trying to get someone's attention since myself nor the attourney have been able too. I waited almost two months before posting online, I think that is more than most people would have waited. Tesla told me they were going to do a home delivery and home orientation that's why it went to my house. I did not refuse it because when I called the service center they told me to take it and they would have someone pick it up. In restrospect I probably should not have but I honestly didn't expect them to avoid the issue like this. Never the less it got dropped off with 5.2 miles on it and it got picked up with 5.2 miles on it.

Yea, lets have some pics. Tesla is far from perfect but it would be good to see what is actually going on here.

I will next week, once they are on the internet they will forever be on the internet. I have never posted a bad review on the internet before and that wasn't my objective here, it was to get someone's attention in order to avoid the legal system. I have not been able to for almost two months and the local service center won't give me or the attorney anyone's contact information up the ladder. I know that no company is perfect and you can't control all the actions and decisions of all your employees, that's why I need to get in touch with someone else. I also know that some people online will criticize me but non of them would happy if they were in my situation.

Really confused by the whole process here. Parkland is only a half hour from Dania, isn't it?

You're an industry professional who gave them your old car and started paying for your new car weeks before you couldn't be troubled to drive a half hour for a normal exchange?

They didn't protect the car while shipping in thousands of miles?

You don't want bad publicity for Tesla, but you've done everything but post pictures?

Sorry to cast aspersions, but this is just not credible.

My response was supposed to be more humorous than anything. But pics would help a lot.
00d.jpg

Really confused by the whole process here. Parkland is only a half hour from Dania, isn't it?

You're an industry professional who gave them your old car and started paying for your new car weeks before you couldn't be troubled to drive a half hour for a normal exchange?

They didn't protect the car while shipping in thousands of miles?

You don't want bad publicity for Tesla, but you've done everything but post pictures?

Sorry to cast aspersions, but this is just not credible.

I bought it through the store in town center mall. The sales guy (who was great by the way) didn't offer that I could pick it up at the service center. He said they do home deliveries and that sounded great and convenient to me. As far as giving them my trade, I had no problem doing that because I have other cars and I have pretraded other times before so that was not a big deal. The only thing I had a slight issue with was paying for it before I got it but it was only going to be about a week and I wasn't too worried about it. I never thought I would end up in a situation like this. If someone at Tesla works this out I'll be the first one to say that they stepped up to the plate. Again, I don't think it's the companies fault, I think that this issue hasn't gotten to the right people and I'm about out of options.

Has Tesla offered to fix the paint? Do they acknowledge, that there is a problem with the paint?
Yes they acknowledged it and said that they were getting me a new car because they don't think it can be made like new (I know it cannot be). It could be made to look like new but not without wet sanding the entire car and repainting a few panels. At that point to me the car is not the same as a new one from the factory and they agreed. Once they realized they had registered it to me two weeks before they said they couldn't give me a new one and that they would get it as good as they could get.

I am sorry to hear about your problem.
I am not posting the pictures on here because I really don't want to bash Tesla or give them bad publicity I am just trying to get this resolved.
Whether you had posted photos or not makes no difference in terms of "giving them bad publicity". You have done that just by posting on a public forum like TMC, which is not run by Tesla but is privately operated.

Posting about your problem on TMC will not "get this resolved". You need to deal with Tesla. Sending an email to Jon McNeil, as you have done, is a good step.
Once they realized they had registered it to me two weeks before they said they couldn't give me a new one
I don't know the laws in Florida, but that is hard to understand. Seems like they could buy the car back and then deliver you another new car.
A DA is a dual action buffer, like an orbital. As in: the vehicle looked like someone took a dirty buffer to it and scratched/ swirled the paint, including the tail lights.
I find it implausible that anyone would use an abrasive tool on taillight lenses. Maybe the car was scratched in transport while going through a sandstorm?

Man, ya'll are sharks around here lately. This is the most civil "new-owner-pissed-about-quality" post I've seen in awhile. And he's not posting pics for a good reason. What are you all gonna do with the pics if you got them? How could seeing it put him in a better or worse position?

Dude was merely asking how to go up the chain, which for someone who doesn't frequent these forums, is a pretty hard task. Tesla's got the SVC walls built pretty high.

@OP you did the right thing, ping @JonMc he's the only guy HERE who could help you, short of everyone else here flapping their arms after you post the pics (which helps no one)

Man, ya'll are sharks around here lately. This is the most civil "new-owner-pissed-about-quality" post I've seen in awhile. And he's not posting pics for a good reason. What are you all gonna do with the pics if you got them? How could seeing it put him in a better or worse position?

Dude was merely asking how to go up the chain, which for someone who doesn't frequent these forums, is a pretty hard task. Tesla's got the SVC walls built pretty high.

@OP you did the right thing, ping @JonMc he's the only guy HERE who could help you, short of everyone else here flapping their arms after you post the pics (which helps no one)
You win the forum for today. :)

I am sorry to hear about your problem.
Whether you had posted photos or not makes no difference in terms of "giving them bad publicity". You have done that just by posting on a public forum like TMC, which is not run by Tesla but is privately operated.

Posting about your problem on TMC will not "get this resolved". You need to deal with Tesla. Sending an email to Jon McNeil, as you have done, is a good step.
I don't know the laws in Florida, but that is hard to understand. Seems like they could buy the car back and then deliver you another new car.
I find it implausible that anyone would use an abrasive tool on taillight lenses. Maybe the car was scratched in transport while going through a sandstorm?
My post is certainly a negative experience and is bad publicity what I am saying is that that is not the purpose of my post. My goal is for my situation to be heard by people so that maybe it can make its way to someone that can rectify my situation. Other avenues have not worked and I waited a long time before I took this route. Again I think after making over $5,000 in payments and still having no car and making no progress I have every right to be frustrated and look for other avenues to get this resolved and I think most others would feel the same way. Also I think that pictures do make it worse. Post die and are forgotten about but I feel like pictures are saved and keep getting recirculated. Not saying the post itself isn't bad but I feel pictures make it worse.

That can buy the car back from me but that would mean they would have to resell a car that has already been titled once so they would take a bigger loss on it and they apparently don't want to do that. If it had not been registered it is still a new car.

People use abrasives on tail lights all the time. You can use them to remove something from them or to restore them. It just has to be done properly and shouldn't be done in a new car because it will probably never be like new. The scratches on these lights weren't from the DA, it looks like someone rubbed it too hard trying to remove somthing. I have no experience with sandstorms and what damage from that looks like but I assume the car was still wrapped when they transported it from California. They told me it was unwrapped and detailed at the Orlando service center. The sandscatches on the paint are certainly from a DA and buffer.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones

Thank you @demundus, @PaulusdB, and @bonnie I knew this was going to happen. People have a hard time putting themselves in others shoes sometimes. It is what it is, I was expecting it and I'll take all the criticism in the world if it leads to me putting this behind me without litigation.