Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D loaners to all Model S/X in service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my 2 month old S75D in at the Orlando SC (tomorrow will be a week so far) to replace the onboard charger (was only charging at a max of 24 amps) and they initially told me they were sorry they were out of Tesla loaners. They wanted to give me a Mustang GT and having a young son my initial thought was that's not going to work with the child seat. I told them I needed something with 4 doors and then I got stuck on a work call. 45 minutes later when I was off the phone they told me that my "patience had paid off" and they gave me a loaded 2016 S90D. Later on I thought it was pretty silly to even offer a Mustang GT to a Tesla owner... I'm sure we all have different reasons for buying a Tesla, but to me a Mustang GT seems like it's on the complete other end of the car spectrum (gas guzzling, non-environmentally friendly, non-luxury, rough riding, etc.).

Reactions: eager0
I have my 2 month old S75D in at the Orlando SC (tomorrow will be a week so far) to replace the onboard charger (was only charging at a max of 24 amps) and they initially told me they were sorry they were out of Tesla loaners. They wanted to give me a Mustang GT and having a young son my initial thought was that's not going to work with the child seat. I told them I needed something with 4 doors and then I got stuck on a work call. 45 minutes later when I was off the phone they told me that my "patience had paid off" and they gave me a loaded 2016 S90D. Later on I thought it was pretty silly to even offer a Mustang GT to a Tesla owner... I'm sure we all have different reasons for buying a Tesla, but to me a Mustang GT seems like it's on the complete other end of the car spectrum (gas guzzling, non-environmentally friendly, non-luxury, rough riding, etc.).

Thats funny since the Mustang GT I traded in on my MS 75D had a better ride, better seats and never saw the inside of a dealer service bay. And it got 25MPG on the highway. I can think of a lot worse comparisons. My MS was in for service 6 times in 8 months.

Reactions: cartwright
FWIW, took my S into Bellevue on the 2nd and they were completely out of loaners. Ended up in a Chevy Impala - though that's my first ICE loaner in the 18 months we've had the car.

From what I could tell, they sold off all of their loaners (something about taxes and it being the end of the year) and had even sold the S from the showroom (there was just an X there). I picked the car up on the 3rd and it didn't appear to be any different. Though that was all a week ago, so not super sure how things are now. But if I had to guess, I'd assume they're still low on loaners.
Tesla doesn't claim to be production-bound on the S or the X for a while now, so it seems odd they would have to be selling off all the loaners and even showroom models, except maybe if there is a major refresh coming so they'd rather replace the fleet with newer model. Or, maybe they are cash strapped and don't want a large number of loaner vehicles tying up the cashflow.

If more owners refused ICE loaners and reminded Tesla of their new policy (top of the line Model S/X loaners for all), then perhaps that policy would get fulfilled sooner rather than later.

Or retracted, which would still be better than the inconsistent patchwork of experiences we have today.

For bonus points, AP-enabled owners should not be issued non-AP cars. Sooner or later, an owner is going to run afoul of the reversed stalks, with results deleterious to both them and to Tesla.

Does this mean some extra diligence on the part of owners to call first shortly before scheduled service? Yes it does. Does it require them to consider deferring service until an AP or non-ICE loaner can be provided? Yes it does. Will there be probable exceptions for spur-of-the-moment service needs? Probably.

Raising the bar is not always easy for glaring service deficiencies that are contrary to public statements. But if more owners don't request better, then they're not going to *get* better.

When I had my car in for service a couple of weeks ago, I was given a black Lincoln Navigator as a loaner. Good God!! Giving a Tesla owner a bus-sized vehicle that gets, literally, 15 mpg doesn't seem right. One can only wonder if they do it to reinforce customer appreciation for their Tesla.

I asked the service manager what happened to the "all P100D loaners" that Musk promised over six months ago and he chuckled, which seemed like sufficient response.

I've hit the jackpot recently at the Charlotte service center - my Model S 85D has been in twice over the last month. First time I got a P100D with 150 miles on it (just returned by an NBA player who preferred the Model X) and next time I got a 100D with 800 miles on it. The guys said that they are having trouble getting their loaners back in a timely manner and had me sign something that said I would return it within 24 hours of when they called me (or something to that effect).

Tesla doesn't claim to be production-bound on the S or the X for a while now, so it seems odd they would have to be selling off all the loaners and even showroom models, except maybe if there is a major refresh coming so they'd rather replace the fleet with newer model. Or, maybe they are cash strapped and don't want a large number of loaner vehicles tying up the cashflow.

A coming refresh was my thought too. Though I can't see that happening until April at the earliest (with the ramp better under control) and when they did the exterior refresh two years ago. All just guessing though - we shall see soon enough!

The guys said that they are having trouble getting their loaners back in a timely manner and had me sign something that said I would return it within 24 hours of when they called me (or something to that effect).
They could just put a rental provision, return within so many hours of agreed time or start paying standard rental days (Hertz charges $400/day for a Model S).

As for whenever they don't have one available, I understand sometimes it might happen, I would be OK with a rental voucher I could use to rent a P100D at any of the service centers in the world. Personally I would love that for travel. :)

Here's one. Called my service center to set up my one year maintenance for March. Was told "no problem, but we can't guarantee a Tesla loaner as they are first come, first server." Later that day I was told "we can't schedule your service as our system drops appointments so we don't schedule appointments more than 2 weeks out." This is a far cry from the guidance that says "schedule your 1 year service when you take delivery."

I'm only at the location where the Tesla is a few days a month so wanted to schedule the maintenance to make sure it got done while I was in town. I'm very surprised that Tesla's scheduling system is now so bad they are no longer setting appointments more than 2 weeks out. Has anyone else seen this happen (note the Service Center in question is Tyco Road in Tysons Corner, VA).

@JonMc - is this a new policy for Tesla? If so, seems very odd and not in line with what Tesla puts out in it's marketing or web site/owner site communications...

I've hit the jackpot recently at the Charlotte service center - my Model S 85D has been in twice over the last month. First time I got a P100D with 150 miles on it (just returned by an NBA player who preferred the Model X) and next time I got a 100D with 800 miles on it. The guys said that they are having trouble getting their loaners back in a timely manner and had me sign something that said I would return it within 24 hours of when they called me (or something to that effect).
I have had the same luck at Charlotte. When I took my car in to have it uncorked, they needed to keep it so they gave me a brand new Model X 100D with 6 miles on it to drive. Last week, I went in for my 3rd service and they had a different X 100D available for me.

I have had about half a dozen service loaners in the last 4 years - they’ve varied from a Model S 60 to a Model S P90D to a (last week) Model X P100D (always a Tesla). I suspect it’s all about what they have “available” that day. I’ve enjoyed them all (particularly the Model X and the timely Holiday Easter Egg).
This has been my experience as well. I usually just work with the scheduling folks to set my appointment in such a way that I always get a loaner. If I'm not going to get one, I tell them to reschedule. There has only been one time where I was told they "should" have a loaner but it ended up "getting sold last minute" so it was getting detailed, etc and I got a rental... I wasn't happy about it but it only happened once (thus far) so fingers crossed. I do suspect they make more of an effort if you've prepaid for your service vs adhoc, but that's absolute 100% speculation on my part... I know if I were in their shoes I would do that.

I'm currently in a SP100DL loaner. It's great, but I have to say that I leave it in Chill mode most of the time. I really don't want it to spoil me from my S75D. The only time I take it out of Chill mode is when I'm doing a demo for someone that has never been in the worlds quickest production car. Even then, I accelerate gently. I once took a guy on a test drive and floored it and he had a headache for 6 hours.

• Funny
Reactions: Tech_Guy