Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D without Ludicrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has been discussed already - am on mobile but I did a quick search and look through but couldn't find anything on the subject.

Is anyone aware of being given the option to remove Ludicrous from an inventory P100D? I know this was possible in the P90D days but did not know it was possible with the 100. I was given this option by sales on an inventory 100 to reduce the price by approx 10k, allegedly as part of an EOQ push. What happens to the performance numbers? Does it become an "insane" car? Thanks for any insight.

Lud isn't a hardware change on 90's and 100's, it's software. It was only hardware on 85's. I was offered the same option on the P100DL that I just bought, but I opted to keep Lud. A P100D would be an odd beast. Having said that, I suppose if what you really want is something as close to a 100D as you can get with non-metered supercharging, that's the way to go.

Reactions: Ormond
Lud isn't a hardware change on 90's and 100's, it's software. It was only hardware on 85's. I was offered the same option on the P100DL that I just bought, but I opted to keep Lud. A P100D would be an odd beast. Having said that, I suppose if what you really want is something as close to a 100D as you can get with non-metered supercharging, that's the way to go.
I wasn't aware of that. Can you provide a source for this info? I've never seen it confirmed.

Is anyone aware of being given the option to remove Ludicrous from an inventory P100D? I know this was possible in the P90D days but did not know it was possible with the 100. I was given this option by sales on an inventory 100 to reduce the price by approx 10k, allegedly as part of an EOQ push. What happens to the performance numbers? Does it become an "insane" car? Thanks for any insight.

I was offered the same option to remove for the same price last week. And if they could have matched my build otherwise, I would have taken it. They came back to me again yesterday with a closer match and again an option to remove luda.

I'm sitting in the Tampa Service Center waiting for delivery of my P100d inventory vehicle with Ludicrous disabled. I was told they can do it if the miles on the car are over 100.

Although it might be "odd" I really don't need the extra speed, yet will have a car that will have it available if someone wants to buy it in a few years and add Ludicrous back in.

Reactions: Ormond
A P100D would be an odd beast. Having said that, I suppose if what you really want is something as close to a 100D as you can get with non-metered supercharging, that's the way to go.
Hi, can you explain this to me? I was ambivalent about luda (love cars but not a race enthusiast) so I thought I might be willing to trade it out for the cash if the builld was otherwise on point.

Hi, can you explain this to me? I was ambivalent about luda (love cars but not a race enthusiast) so I thought I might be willing to trade it out for the cash if the builld was otherwise on point.

My thought process was that most people in the market to buy a P100D are interested in the performance characteristics, and if they are able to afford a $140k car they can also afford a $150k car. I'd ask Tesla if you or a second owner can later decide to upgrade to Luda. I was told they would remove it pre-sale if I wanted, but that I would not be able to add it in the future. There currently isn't an option for P100D->P100DL in the price book. More often than not I sell my cars privately when I upgrade, and I didn't want to reduce the potential market for the car because it didn't have Luda.

Edit: My logic is similar to why I think people should always order subzero or the equivalent package. Most people live in climates where it gets cold 25%+ of the year. I know I would never consider a car without heated seats.

My thought process was that most people in the market to buy a P100D are interested in the performance characteristics, and if they are able to afford a $140k car they can also afford a $150k car. I'd ask Tesla if you or a second owner can later decide to upgrade to Luda. I'd ask Tesla if you or a second owner can later decide to upgrade to Luda. I was told they would remove it pre-sale if I wanted, but that I would not be able to add it in the future. There currently isn't an option for P100D->P100DL in the price book. More often than not I sell my cars privately when I upgrade, and I didn't want to reduce the potential market for the car because it didn't have Luda.

Edit: My logic is similar to why I think people should always order subzero or the equivalent package. Most people live in climates where it gets cold 25%+ of the year. I know I would never consider a car without heated seats.

OK, thank you. I knew I didin't fit the 'most people' mold as I only care about the performance of P, plus range of 100. If they do find my build, I like the idea of ditching luda and replacing my 0-40 mph EZGO. And if they don't, my order is in the queue and good to go. win-win

OK, thank you. I knew I didin't fit the 'most people' mold as I only care about the performance of P, plus range of 100. If they do find my build, I like the idea of ditching luda and replacing my 0-40 mph EZGO. And if they don't, my order is in the queue and good to go. win-win

I just saw your signature; you're looking at an XP100D? If that's the case my opinion changes. The market for P100D non-L X's I suspect will be much larger than the equivalent S.

My thought process was that most people in the market to buy a P100D are interested in the performance characteristics, and if they are able to afford a $140k car they can also afford a $150k car. I'd ask Tesla if you or a second owner can later decide to upgrade to Luda. I was told they would remove it pre-sale if I wanted, but that I would not be able to add it in the future. There currently isn't an option for P100D->P100DL in the price book. More often than not I sell my cars privately when I upgrade, and I didn't want to reduce the potential market for the car because it didn't have Luda.

Just an FYI: Heated front seats are standard on all Tesla cars

• Love
Reactions: Xd85
Note that a Tesla Model S P100D without Ludicrous Mode is not really equivalent to the 100D since the former has two drive motors and inverters while the latter only has one of each. Hence, don't expect to achieve the same range with a P100D without Ludicrous Mode as a 100D.

I wasn't aware of that. Can you provide a source for this info? I've never seen it confirmed.
I don't recall all the sourcing but I do recall that the inconel fuse that was integral to the Ludicrous had been developed as a part of research to extend battery life. As a side effect of more precise temperature sensing the limits on discharge could have closer tolerances than they had previously. Subsequently the technology was implemented in all new battery packs, changing Ludicrous to a software change fro the 90 and later. That is also partly why better acceleration times were software achievable for everything that and the new battery designs.

There are quite a few people who know much more about this, especially wk057. I hope somebody posts the correct detailed explanation.