Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100d X Full Charge - 161 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to throw this out there too. It is more than coincidental how many people say "75" as their speed when it seems a very decent sized chunk of people go faster than that in what they consider their usual highway driving. I think people are uncomfortable publicly announcing a number higher than that and just think that for getting people's opinions, the word "75" is sufficient enough to convey that it's kind of fast, and they think it won't make any difference if they were really going 79 or 81 mph. But it really does, since the wind resistance force is increasing so fast at those high speeds.

So let's just say that I am overall skeptical that someone is actually going "75" mph when they are getting 478 wh/mile--especially when the person said that they were intentionally hurrying and having to speed because of the time pressure they were under when trying to get to where they were going. So I think there's some underestimating going on for this particular day.

Yeah it seems like going faster than 75mph is the most likely cause here. It's important to point out that cruising at 75mph vs. 80mph increases energy consumption by almost 10%! So "just a few extra mph" can drastically reduce efficiency.

Yeah it seems like going faster than 75mph is the most likely cause here. It's important to point out that cruising at 75mph vs. 80mph increases energy consumption by almost 10%! So "just a few extra mph" can drastically reduce efficiency.

Yup. Living in Southern California, you're either going 80+mph or less than 8mph. All within a ¼ mile, over and over, and all with someone on your tail wanting to go faster, while the car in front of you wants to go slower. 24/7.

Still no one knows why we experience this almost 20 KWh loss. It’s literally like driving with 10 gallons in the tank.

“Keep Climate On” and “Cabin Overheat Protection” modes will both use power without reporting it on the “trip” statistics. If it was a hot day and the climate control was kept running, that could account for the phantom disappearance of electrons.

Reactions: Nrazar and Rocky_H
No wind and 92 degrees with no humidity.

This is a fun thread.

My thoughts for better or for worse: I'd say there always is wind, and it almost always affects range in some ways, same thing with elevation changes. I highly recommend the Inroute app, then plug in the exact route and it will show you how relevant each thing is. I'd do the same for the EVTO Tesla App for that route. Other things to consider, 22 inch wheels, 22 inch wheels oh and what was the other thing? Oh, 22 inch wheels. I'm so curious what your cold tire pressure was. Going 75 mph is a gigantic hit on the model X if the conditions aren't perfect for hypermiling.

That being said, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised if you drove 70 mph, you probably would have had 50+ miles of range rather than 11.

Anyway, fun to figure out.

Reactions: P85_DA and Rocky_H
Here's the old thread about why you usually don't get all of your 100 kWh out of your battery. It is there, but higher discharge rates (faster acceleration and speed) means higher losses internal to the battery, and external too. Try emptying the battery by driving 25 MPH and you will do better.

Car’s energy consumption (lack of) accuracy

My Porsche never got its rated MPG/range either. Same problem.

• Informative
Reactions: Nrazar
Um yeah, except you said:

Which implies that using %SOC would provide a better result than just Rated Range. Not hard to figure out that for any Tesla X 11 miles Rated Range is below 5% SOC (well except maybe 60D...).

Don't disagree with your reasons for using SOC%, but changing to that setting adds nothing to the issue the OP is experiencing, which was my point.
I was asking him to change to % to make it lined up with the miles to rule out some weird bug in display software. It was just a shot in the dark to explain why he saw what he did.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA