TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

P100DL+ on a dyno pulls 920tq to the wheels on the 8th pull - Video

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Indpowr, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

This car is a real beast with that kind of torque is mind blowing. I am a little shocked that it only showed 588hp to the wheels but, maybe its a mustang dyno. I love the sound and cant wait to get our P90D

2. Drewflux

Drewflux Member

Definitely agree with the results. I think there is more left in it. I find it intresting how much the vehicle trys to climb the rollers. It must be a bit of a pain to tie down.

I wonder if a hub dyno may be better to test with, however there is a video floating around of an awd MS on a non mechanically linked dyno that struggles with trac and skid control issues.

3. sorka

sorka Active Member

588 is nearly what's expected. We know that we lose 22% from battery to wheels when correlating KW and vbox/pbox data together from the same runs.

575KW * 1.341 * 0.78 = 601 hp at the weels. 575KW has occasionally been shown on the P100D under the most optimal conditions.

• Informative x 2
  4. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

5. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

the car reported a peak of 525 kW on the dyno.... on the street it hits 574 kW....

• Like x 1
  6. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

Because I looked and searched before I posted lol

• Like x 1
  7. sorka

sorka Active Member

That would equate to 550 at the wheels. That's why I asked what kind of dino it was as some use fudged numbers to account for the differnece between static and dynamic power where rotating mass results in lower readings than a static run with dynamically controlled PAU. For instance Dynojet is notorious for overestaming real power because it's based on a bogus constant derived to match what the known power of a Yamaha vmax. The engineer didn't understand the difference between dynamic and static power and they couldn't get the numbers to add up, so they faked it. To this day dinojet still uses this constant.

8. DillyBop

DillyBop Member

horsepower is an archaic stat. it comes into play in high-speed acceleration but little else.

torque is where it's all at. and the P100D is knocking on the door of 1,000lb-ft which is straight COCONUTS.

consider the new Ferrari 812 SuperFast. it's the mirror image of the P100D. it has 790hp (a whole lot) but only 530lb-ft torque (barely half of what the P100D has). so it's GREAT for like when you're
    traveling at 145mph and there's a car in front of you that's only going 130, so you need to pull to the left and pass him as quickly as possible up to like 160mph.

oh yea... you are never in that situation... ever... my bad.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  9. n2mb_racing

n2mb_racing Member

How are you calculating torque without RPM? Torque at the wheels? Torque at the motor?

10. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

a dyno measures torque at the wheels, the HP is what is calculated...

• Love x 1
  11. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

it's a mustang dyno

12. sorka

sorka Active Member

Mustang dynos are are typically truer than the overinflating Dynojets. That leaves about a 5% discrepency but that could just be the individual dyno calibration.

Regardless those are impressive even if expected numbers for the P100D.

13. sorka

sorka Active Member

You only need wheel rpm for power, but if you want torque at the motor shafts , you need motor rpm.

The dual motor has a different final drive ratio between front and back which makes it a bit more complicated.

14. n2mb_racing

n2mb_racing Member

Agreed. The dyno measures torque, acceleration of a heavy weight. So, you get torque, but at the wheels. Then you need a gear ratio. What gear ratio did you use to convert from wheel torque to motor torque?

920 ft lbs is too low to be wheel torque. Quick estimate of 24" diameter wheels and tires, plus 5000 lbs car that can accelerate faster than 1g should mean total torque at all four wheels over 5000 ft lbs, I think.

15. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Jalopnik posted your video, but there is some argument in the comments over what the torque number represents. That number is way too low to be wheel torque so there must be some kind of conversion going on. What gear ratio is being used to get that torque number?

http://jalopnik.com/here-is-how-much-torque-the-tesla-model-s-p100d-makes-o-1792688704