Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D- 5k refund, second check.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got mine and assumed that it was the sales tax refund, but weird there was no note whatsoever explaining it.

Funny how there were a couple of people who adamantly defended Tesla initially refusing to refund the sales tax portion of the $5k despite it being clearly illegal. My guess is that someone, somewhere, pushed Tesla on the illegality of not refunding the sales tax. Or someone inside of Tesla wised up to the issue.

Received my check yesterday, but interesting note regarding the tax rate. I'm not sure, but I think the rate charged might be based on the address of the location where you took delivery, not where you live.

I live in Houston, tax rate here is 8.25%. But the delivery was done at the North Houston service center, which is outside the city limits, so the tax rate there is 6.25%. The check I received reflected a 6.25% refund.

This also matches the sales tax rate that I paid for the vehicle.

(Interesting note: Since sales tax in the Houston area drops by 2% as soon as you're outside the city limits, we have very few car dealerships that are inside the Houston city limits. As you drive away from the city on any freeway, when you cross the city limits, there are inevitably about 10 car dealerships at that location. All of them locate themselves there to take advantage of the 2% drop in sales tax rate for the customer.)

I actually emailed about this issue and the CS folks said no strongly. They absolutely refused to issue sales tax.
The next day, Saturday I got a check for $450 lol.
Monday, I got anaother "no we cannot issue the sales tax email" and I told them no worries, you already did.
They absolutely do owe us this sales tax refund. We paid tax on the $5k

Reactions: Nocturnal
I would have accepted FSD, but U don't think I will buy it at 2k the way pricing keeps changing. Plus That's 2k more than others have to pay. I'll wait until it actually exists. Something could happen any day and your car gets totalled etc. I don't think it is transferable...

Keep in mind FSD == HW3. HW3 might help a lot of things besides pure FSD. That is the main reason I bought it with the car. Check around at how many folks with HW2 are getting Sentry mode etc. New computer hardware will keep your car more current longer.

I doubt $2K FSD will be back anytime soon and even Elon said in a tweet "In retrospect is should not have been offered" (something to that effect).

Oh, I got a check for taxes in MA too.

I would have felt mentally better if Elon refunded nothing with regard to performance and instead offered refunds to people that paid $8k instead of the current offer of $5k. It's not the money, it's the principle.

Last edited:
Reactions: vinnie97
I actually emailed about this issue and the CS folks said no strongly. They absolutely refused to issue sales tax.
The next day, Saturday I got a check for $450 lol.
Monday, I got anaother "no we cannot issue the sales tax email" and I told them no worries, you already did.
They absolutely do owe us this sales tax refund. We paid tax on the $5k

I’m not complaining about getting another check, but I didn’t necessarily feel it was actually owed. They could have assigned any value to the FUSC, as it wasn’t an option we specifically paid for. To me, I viewed the $5k check as all-inclusive, as if the refund were actually $5-$sales tax. I understand it doesn’t work like this, but I didn’t bother wasting Tesla support time over it.