Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ fastest 0-60 for cars under 60K?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
C8 corvette- which starts under 60 (just barely) and does 3 flat similar to the P3D (and 11.2 in the 1/4 mile, which is a tenth or two better than the P3D) would be fastest under 60k.

P3D second. (The Tesla is probably a touch easier to hit that time reliably but we don't have enough data on the vette yet to say what wizardry they worked on it)

And I'm pretty sure THIRD quickest car under 60 would be...

A Model 3 LR AWD with acceleration boost (~3.5 0-60 with 1 foot rollout)

Even crazier far as I can tell bump the price cap up to 99k and.... that list doesn't change (unless you wanna put other vette variants on it)

Well, arguably the Hellcat Redeye lists a 3.4 0-60 for 71.3k....but all the car mags I can find couldn't do better than 3.7 because it's a stupid amount of HP in a RWD car that can't hook for crap if it's not on drag tires on a prepped track.

And then at 99.9k is the P100D which beats everything mass production at any price 0-60

I think the P3D is capable of going faster than it already does. It feels nerfed a bit at launch, if they gave it a launch mode so you could feel that "punch" at launch it would easily break 3 seconds.

Already been discussion of that in other threads- it's likely there's not much more left in the 3 without hardware changes

See for example
Petition Tesla to make the Model 3 Performance 0-60 <3s

Just had to respond to the one trick pony. I have had my M3P for 2 months now and it is by far the best “name the category” vehicle I have driven. That include dry, wet, snow, corner, stop, rolling, up/down hill, no hands, blind (just kidding, but can do), all with my dog in the back seat and not having to adjust the volume on my radio. I have had some pretty nice rides both mine and friends to compare, but won’t go into details. Some $$$ and others maybe a 1/2 less than the M3P. But hands down with out question this is an all around killer, fun car that I look for excuses to drive. What other car can do this (besides another Tesla). I can’t see how burrito could think anything different assuming he really does own or has driven one.

Reactions: bhzmark and Jay24
0-60 is mostly a useless metric. The P3D is a one-trick pony compared to ICE cars with similar 0-60 times. Those cars (generally speaking) will destroy it in virtually every handling metric (including how the car feels when you are pushing it).
For 90% of the legal driving that I do that metric is far from useless. For example, I'm at a light. I'm in the merge lane and have to get off the line quickly to get in front of the other cars before the merge. Speed limit is 45. I floor it with no tire squeal and no engine noise. I get to 45 mph way faster than almost anything out there and drew no attention to myself. If I would've done that in my Viper years ago the rear end would spin, by the time I got traction(because I'm not a great driver out of the hole) the other cars are ahead of me and I get a ticket for wreckless op. And that's the dual motor long range. Not the performance.

Lol, I wouldn’t be caught dead in a Corvette, Camaro or a gt500. (No offense to anyone who would, but they’re not for me).

I bought the P3D+ instead of a C63S. I don’t ever regret my decision. What might seem boring to some (or not the perfect track car), I find to be delightfully refined and wickedly fast. When I drive it in Oakland, I know that it’s faster in traffic, merging, at stop lights, and on the wide, sweeping turns of the California freeways compared to basically any car I’m going to have to deal with. And it’s going to deal with other vehicles in a manner that is essentially silent. That’s worth much more to me than hypothetical lap times at whatever hypothetical track we’re discussing.

No offense taken, but I currently own a C7 and have a deposit down on a 2021 C8. This is literally a comparison of Apples to Oranges. I doubt very many people are cross shopping these cars. Having said that, I think 0-60 is still relevant as it does give an idea of the performance of the vehicle. Just bought a 2020 model X for my wife. 0-60 in 4.4 was a factor in my purchasing decision - it was fast enough and did not want to spend the extra $20k for the P. When I really have the need for speed I will drive my Corvette.

Reactions: Jenremoved
My "one trick pony" comment was in reference to performance and comparing the P3D to cars like the Corvette. The 3 performance package is basically what you would find in a pretty typical aftermarket package as far as handling (a bunch of bolt-ons) -> lowering springs, bigger brakes, bigger/heavier wheels with better tires, and a tacked-on spoiler. As an OEM, they could have done a lot more than they did for $8k. There are some cars that are an engaging to drive no matter what the scenario (even at normal speeds around town) - I just don't get that with my 3 and its not the lack of engine noise (I actually love that part). A lot of it is the numb steering and it feels a bit ponderous although it wears its 4000 lb weight better than expected. It is actually a lot like the Challenger Hellcat I had - good amount of grip in the corners but not very much fun to toss around (that car was an even heavier pig on wheels). Granted, this is a P3D-, but I did test drive the P3D+ extensively and although I can feel some difference (attributable to the much better tires on the P3D+ I think) it is not a night and day difference by any means.

I love my 3 and I'll be keeping it along time as a fantastic commuter car but I'm considering adding another car to the stable that is more engaging to drive.

I think the P3D is capable of going faster than it already does. It feels nerfed a bit at launch, if they gave it a launch mode so you could feel that "punch" at launch it would easily break 3 seconds.

100% agreed. You can tell there's almost nothing that happens for the first 0.3 seconds when you stomp it from 0. I reckon if Tesla wanted to they could shave 0.3 seconds off of our 0-60 times. I don't think this is limited by motor or battery - I firmly believe it's just software.

100% agreed. You can tell there's almost nothing that happens for the first 0.3 seconds when you stomp it from 0. I reckon if Tesla wanted to they could shave 0.3 seconds off of our 0-60 times. I don't think this is limited by motor or battery - I firmly believe it's just software.

Click the link in post 84- there appears to be actual science behind it not being just software

It wouldn't be a surprise if they put in a slight delay to avoid the car taking off like a rocket if people accidentally touched the accelerator.

If I would've done that in my Viper years ago the rear end would spin, by the time I got traction(because I'm not a great driver out of the hole) the other cars are ahead of me and I get a ticket for wreckless op. And that's the dual motor long range. Not the performance.

I had a '70 Challenger back in the day.. The noise it would raise, and the attention it would draw was unruly. The guy that owned it before me actually got a ticket for "excessive noise to whit rapid acceleration." as well as 5-6 additional charges.

The 3 is WAY faster, but doesn't draw any of the attention when accelerating rapidly.

Can anybody direct me to a video I saw comparing a Tesla to a Porsche 911? (Big ask, I know, but bear with me.)

I saw this video on YouTube about a year ago and have searched for it since with no luck: It shows a Tesla (probably an S, but not sure) next to a Porsche 911 with a massive whale tail, maybe a $150K version. The view is from the rear, down at ground level with both cars in the frame and it is in slow-motion. Both cars take off at the same time and you see a lot of wheel slip on the Porsche, with the tire slipping, stopping, slipping over and over, and you see the back end bouncing up and down with it, and the whale tail flopping all over the place, as elegant as, um, a beached whale.

Meanwhile, the Tesla grabs and goes, zero slip or hesitation, and it dusts the 911 which is still flopping around on the beach.

Anyone? Anyone?

I love my 3 and I'll be keeping it along time as a fantastic commuter car but I'm considering adding another car to the stable that is more engaging to drive.

Do what I did: P3D for commuting / roadtrips and ND2 Miata for the weekend/track car. The Miata is pretty much the exact opposite of the P3D. Lightweight, nimble, engaging at all speeds, convertible, stickshift, not many nannies (for a modern car) and.... slow :)

There's more to performance than low-speed straight-line acceleration. The P3D is not remotely in the same league as a C8 vette, a Mustang GT500, or a Camaro ZL1 as far as handling even though they are in the ballpark as far as the useless 0-60 metric. Strip away the straight-line acceleration and the P3D+ is fairly mundane and bland for what is billed as a performance trim. Not saying it isn't decent and somewhat fun but there are much better cars out there if you put the driving experience above all else. That said, the 3 has a lot of other benefits outside of performance that make it a great car.

Err no the M3P is faster than those rear wheel drive cars on a track too.