Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ fastest 0-60 for cars under 60K?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can get used to practically any level of straight-line acceleration given enough time with the car. What you are left with the dynamics of the car (as far as performance) and I just feel like Tesla could have done a much better job there. I still love the car but I still crave something more fun to drive - was thinking about a Civic Type R as far as something that is not too expensive for a 3rd car. Yeah, my P3D would absolutely destroy the Type R in a straight-line but I could care less as I would likely be having more fun in the Type R.

Lol, I wouldn’t be caught dead in a Corvette, Camaro or a gt500. (No offense to anyone who would, but they’re not for me).

I bought the P3D+ instead of a C63S. I don’t ever regret my decision. What might seem boring to some (or not the perfect track car), I find to be delightfully refined and wickedly fast. When I drive it in Oakland, I know that it’s faster in traffic, merging, at stop lights, and on the wide, sweeping turns of the California freeways compared to basically any car I’m going to have to deal with. And it’s going to deal with other vehicles in a manner that is essentially silent. That’s worth much more to me than hypothetical lap times at whatever hypothetical track we’re discussing.

I get what Mr. Burrito is trying to say. It certainly isn't the best track car. But then to say you rather drive a Type R? The model 3 performance will crush the Type R in a straight line or on a track.

But regardless of whether the P3D isn't the best track car, isn't not a slouch either.

I can't think of anything else I rather drive than my P3D- at the price range I got it for.

Tomato tomado....The TM3 is the perfect match for my performance requirements these days (which now includes ride quality, comfort, responsiveness and fuel costs in addition to acceleration, handling and looks). You also won't find me on the track these days.

Same boat. The combination of all the performance factors (despite some limitations), maintenance requirements, plug-in awesomeness, daily-drivability, technology, autopilot etc etc. Nothing better out there.

Reactions: badronald
P3d mundane and bland?? In my opinion, p3d is a kick ass car. I cringe when I think about those gas guzzling c8, gt500, Camaro lt1. And insurance?? Let's not get started....

A pretty baseless one.

I just got the quote for adding my M3 to my insurance. It's a whole $27 a year less than my Corvette.

Gas guzzler? Wrong again. I normally get 30mpg while driving to work at 80mph in 7th. I get about the same in my Honda Accord running those speeds.

I would love to get a civic type R. If I was 16....but then again type R is what 40k?? I dont think so...I would still get a model 3 sr+ for 40k
The Civic Type R is an amazing, raw, vehicle that destroys the Model 3 in all performance areas except acceleration. My brother has one and I love it. The steering, shifter, brakes, tires. engine all work so well together. If I had a 5 mile commute like him and didn’t deal with traffic, I would buy it over a SR+ for sure.

Stars fan. I seriously doubt c8 would get 30mpg. Maybe if you cruising in the 7th, only for that moment but not 30mpg on avg.the new c8 is 15 on local and 27 hwy. If u r getting 30 mpg on average then either you drive like driving miss daisy or you r just not having any fun driving. Maybe because of worrying about wasting gas??

The Civic Type R is an amazing, raw, vehicle that destroys the Model 3 in all performance areas except acceleration. My brother has one and I love it. The steering, shifter, brakes, tires. engine all work so well together. If I had a 5 mile commute like him and didn’t deal with traffic, I would buy it over a SR+ for sure.

But then you have to drive a car that looks like it was designed by an angsty teenager. Maybe in my 20s I’d appreciate that sort of thing. Not these days in my late 30s. And in the wet of Seattle the idea of wheel spin all day long isn’t appealing.

Reactions: hoang51
Most of us dont have 5mile commute and unfortunately most of us deal with traffic daily

0-60 is mostly a useless metric. The P3D is a one-trick pony compared to ICE cars with similar 0-60 times. Those cars (generally speaking) cost 2-3 times more money

Fixed your post for you.

The C8 being the one exception, if you can actually get one at MSRP, which it's likely to be a while for.[/QUOTE]

The Civic Type R is an amazing, raw, vehicle that destroys the Model 3 in all performance areas except acceleration.

Errr... no.

For example a Tesla Model 3 P (with owner driving) ran Laguna Seca in 1:37:53

Randy Probst (a professional driver) ran 1:44:22 in a Civic Type R FK8

Honda Civic Type R FK8 laptimes, specs, performance data - FastestLaps.com

Civic time at Streets of Willow Springs? 1:25:07

Performance Model 3? 1:21:49

In case you're not familiar neither of those tracks are straight lines.

AWD, independent motors on each axle, no turbo lag, no waiting for gears to change, regen braking, and vastly superior track mode control including being able to instantly move power around with no mechanical slowness like ICE vehicles are pretty handy things when there's corners involved too.

Last edited:
Having sold a Mitsubishi Evo for the M3P+ I look at it from a different perspective. The M3 DOESN'T make the compromises the other performance cars make. No crazy thin body panels for compromised crash safety, no droning exhausts, no lumpy idle, no turbo lag, no midget sized rear seats, no fwd understeer or widowmaker oversteer, no giant rear spoilers, no launch mode that requires you to solve a puzzle before engaging, no sometimes it just won't launch right inconsistencies, no bogging, no wheel spin, no race gas, no broken transmissions, no blown headgaskets, no catch cans, no EPA engine restrictions, no cylinder deactivation, no scraping the exhaust, no intake to clean, no race tires for the strip...

Nothing launches as consistently as the M3. Even something faster is going to be slower with most drivers (including and especially me) behind the wheel.

The Civic Type R is down 200hp on the P3D and gets pretty good track times. Track times don’t just measure handling prowess...it measures acceleration and the P3D has it in spades. I feel my P3D pulverized the corners through sheer brute force but can’t say it dances around corners the way a lotus or Type R would. I bet most wouldn’t want to daily a Type R. It’s pretty rough compared to a Model 3

Reactions: McMoo
0-60 is mostly a useless metric.

Strongly strongly agree with this sentiment. 0-60, as a proxy for a cars useful accelerative performance, is really outdated.

[We can remove Tesla away from this conversation entirely so people's sensitivities won't be stretched across a tightwire.....]

* It was instructive back when performance cars were in the 5-8 seconds range. Much wider range for nuance. Now people scrutinize over 3.10 vs 3.05

* Cars didn't come with hyper levels of horsepower where everything was wholly contingent on the launch. It was less sensitive to that before.

* The difference between a car measuring better than its competitor, is whether its 2nd gear topped out at 58mph, or 62mph. It's a poor coincidence.

* Then you have the reliance on: availability of launch mode; the often convoluted sequence of activating such mode; tires and surfaces, etc.

Basically, it's a metric that's not at all relevant to actual street driving scenarios. Some people might be doing hard launches from street lights and stop signs, but that's very few. More of us will, however, stomp on the car while merging on the freeway, or while going down an empty stretch of road, or rolling out of a tollbooth (but not from a dead stop!).

I propose 20-80mph (or, 30-130kph) is a superior modern metric. It's obviously not perfect. The Hellcat/Challenger/whatever can still just vaporize its tires unless perfectly managed. But it's 1 more step away from the perfect-drag-strip scenario, and 1 step closer to actual-real-world scenario.

And also, the Tesla will still do perfectly well on 20-80 compared to the market

A slightly modded M3 put up times right next to a GT3, McClaren F1 and a F40 at the track recently. While people have their opinions, saying it is a one trick pony in regards to performance is 100% wrong. I can’t find data for the cars listed but a SS was 6 seconds slower.

The F40 is 30 years old, and would trail today's Audi station wagon

There are around 50 McLaren F1 road cars around, and at $1M+ each, I highly doubt anyone is pushing them in earnest at a track.

A GT3 is an extremely credible benchmark, and would be really impressive if this supposed scenario bears out

* The difference between a car measuring better than its competitor, is whether its 2nd gear topped out at 58mph, or 62mph. It's a poor coincidence.

* Then you have the reliance on: availability of launch mode; the often convoluted sequence of activating such mode; tires and surfaces, etc.

Both problems Tesla avoids entirely with a single reduction gear and vastly better traction control (you can argue this a bit on the P100D, but the 3 is just floor it and go every time)

I propose 20-80mph (or, 30-130kph) is a superior modern metric. It's obviously not perfect. The Hellcat/Challenger/whatever can still just vaporize its tires unless perfectly managed. But it's 1 more step away from the perfect-drag-strip scenario, and 1 step closer to actual-real-world scenario.

And also, the Tesla will still do perfectly well on 20-80 compared to the market

Not just perfectly well- but embarrassingly better than it does 0-60.

Because no gear shifts.

The LR AWD Model 3 is quicker 30-50 or 50-70 (or 30-70 if you prefer) than supercars that cost $300,000 and easily beat it 0-60... because shifting is slow.

As far as I know it's quicker at either as car mags measure such things that any ICE mass production car in the world

And the LR AWD+ is quicker than that.

And the P3D even quicker still.

That's without even touching the P100D.

(I've posted broken down #s several times in the past if anyone cares to search for em as compared to various 3-6 times more expensive cars)

Reactions: adrianp89