Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D Highway Passing Speed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Appreciate your input.

Since you're coming from an SL that you seem to really enjoy, the P100D may be the better choice considering your criteria and driving style. The SL is a GT car not a sports car. in the Tesla lineup, the P100D is bigger, heavier and more powerful... perfect for GT(ish) duty. The P3D is a sports sedan competing with the likes of a C63, M3 etc... smaller, more nimble, more of a 'drivers' car. If you told me you're coming from a C63, i'd firmly recommend the P3D, but you're not, and it seems like you don't want to change that aspect of your driving.
To your original question, passing speed is still awesome unless you're up above 80-90ish... then it's not as strong, but it still goes up to 162, so i'm not sure what else you'd need.

Last weekend was my first road trip with my wife's Model 3. I have driven a Performance Model S for four years. Normally I am a "set the speed at +5 and relax" highway driver. However, I wanted to push her. Going up a steep (for freeway) grade to the mountain summit, I chose to stop following the new (no plate yet) Maserati (the style that "looks" similar to the Model S). We were going 75. I paused next to him, then floored it. He floored it too, because that was a loud motor that became faint quickly. He caught up to me on the downhill side, but I was going to stay at 65, so I waved. Probably some buyer regret on his part. I felt like a kid. And if any LE is reading, this post is completely fake for entertainment purposes only.

Only you can decide what you can live with as far as the interior.

I personally find the front seats to be among the most comfortable I've experienced.

I thought I'd miss the carbon fiber, wood and leather of my Audi S6, but I don't miss it at all.

The Model 3P is SO much more fun to drive!
Agreed. Everyone I have let drive mine or even just taken a spin with says that they are blown away by how luxurious it feels. And so so much fun leaving people standing still. The autodrive however is a life/ticket saver. This weekend we were on the way to visit some friends near the city and I was listening to a comedy show and really not paying attention to the road and tried to pull over w/ a SUV in my blind spot (didn't know I had one till then) and the car yanked the wheel back into the lane. It was awesome. Also there were cops out everywhere and keeping autodrive at 74 kept me from tickets that other people were getting everywhere.

Reactions: Nocturnal
I’ve driven plenty of Model S’s in 85, P85, 85D, 90D (owned two), and P100D versions. The only one that pulls harder than my P3D+ is the P100D at highway passing speeds. The loaner P100D is like no other car in its price range from 0-60 and not too many other cars can match the 50-70 passing speeds unless you go the supercar or muscle car (Hellcats and Demons) route.

The P3D+ has more than enough power for passing 99% of the cars out there and to get away from trucks and semis from spitting up road salt and gravel at this time of year. If you want to get away from 99.5% of vehicles at freeway speeds and have the means to get a P100D or a Ludicrous long range Model S then get a Model S. The overtaking speeds shouldn’t be the only factor in your decision in getting a 3 or an S...I wish the 3 had the extra trunk space and hatch opening of the S, but I love the gocart handling of the 3.
You mentioned it being quicker than the regular 85D and 90D’s, the P3 is no match for a P90D or even P85D for that matter, just to clarify when you said the P100D is faster, the smaller battery 400V AWD performance S versions are also much quicker.

Last weekend was my first road trip with my wife's Model 3. I have driven a Performance Model S for four years. Normally I am a "set the speed at +5 and relax" highway driver. However, I wanted to push her. Going up a steep (for freeway) grade to the mountain summit, I chose to stop following the new (no plate yet) Maserati (the style that "looks" similar to the Model S). We were going 75. I paused next to him, then floored it. He floored it too, because that was a loud motor that became faint quickly. He caught up to me on the downhill side, but I was going to stay at 65, so I waved. Probably some buyer regret on his part. I felt like a kid. And if any LE is reading, this post is completely fake for entertainment purposes only.
Most of those Maserati’s are V6’s, much more show than go! They do build a V8 version which is not something that would fade away as speed increased.

really not paying attention to the road and tried to pull over w/ a SUV in my blind spot (didn't know I had one till then)

Really you did not know about the blind spot? :) The blind spot on the Model 3 is by far the worst of any vehicle I have driven (combo of small aero mirrors, small effective aperture rear window, high rear deck, and C pillar size)! Fortunately it now has various safety features to mitigate the risk. I can never see anyone without craning my neck around wildly. And it is very difficult to see traffic behind you unless you have a very long torso.

Interesting to hear about this behavior. I would expect this behavior to be unchanged for a vehicle that does not have AP/EAP, and would not require Autosteer to be enabled, as it is a safety feature, but perhaps others can comment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Upscaleman

I think this is less necessary now that the thing beeps at you if you try anything stupid (and apparently will take over steering as well if necessary - with varying results I would imagine). Parking lots are still a bit hazardous, but that's easier to manage through intense vigilance. I like the Toyota Highlander rear cross traffic alert, but it's just an aid and I still have to be vigilant. Most of the time in parking lots someone just runs into you anyway, even if you're stopped and honking, that has been my observed (but not personal) experience.

I think this is less necessary now that the thing beeps at you if you try anything stupid (and apparently will take over steering as well if necessary - with varying results I would imagine). Parking lots are still a bit hazardous, but that's easier to manage through intense vigilance. I like the Toyota Highlander rear cross traffic alert, but it's just an aid and I still have to be vigilant. Most of the time in parking lots someone just runs into you anyway, even if you're stopped and honking, that has been my observed (but not personal) experience.
Totally not necessary now that we have blind spot monitoring. Plus the rear camera is better than other cars. My last vehicle was a Highlander so I did appreciate the cross traffic alert in parking lots (it worked very well). Agree that if an accident was likely there is little you could really do.

Blind spots are typically due to mirror adjustment. Your car shouldn't be seen in your side mirrors. If it is, then thats what is creating the blind spots.

With the mirrors set appropriately (with only small overlap between side mirrors and rvm vision areas), there's no blindspots whatsoever in my model 3, for my sitting position.

But the side mirrors only move so far, so depending on your seat position, it is possible the side mirrors cannot be properly adjusted. :(

I'm 5ft 9 or so... Maybe a taller driver would run into the limits of the side mirror travel?

Um, ya...it's used for highway driving. Collisions at 80 matter more than collisions at 5

Blind spots are typically due to mirror adjustment. Your car shouldn't be seen in your side mirrors. If it is, then thats what is creating the blind spots.

With the mirrors set appropriately (with only small overlap between side mirrors and rvm vision areas), there's no blindspots whatsoever in my model 3, for my sitting position.

But the side mirrors only move so far, so depending on your seat position, it is possible the side mirrors cannot be properly adjusted. :(

I'm 5ft 9 or so... Maybe a taller driver would run into the limits of the side mirror travel?

We've seen this video a million times