Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D horsepower?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The numbers reported from the dyno is what is measured at the wheels. The data does not reflect guestimating at the crankshaft to my knowledge nor was it ever explained. You can watch the video when George explains how the dyno collects the data. Look at the timeline in the description of the video to find relevant parts you want to watch to see if it further answers your questions.

Your link above didn't work for me; it goes to a website about display technology...

• Helpful
Reactions: SammichLover
Speculation upthread about Tesla not publishing its numbers, fearing lawsuits, etc etc... or what its methods are.

Here is Tesla publishing power numbers. Figures at this post are valid as of 2019.36.1 firmware.

RWD:
202kW = 271bhp
AWD:
<317kW = <425bhp
Performance:
<382kW = <512bhp

Imprecise value given for dual-motor config, because their motors don't produce peak power at the same motor speed. The summation is is roughly good, because their power at close enough revs (1000rpm) that HP should be stable.

ClmojZI.png

Source:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_europe_en.pdf page 181
Net Max HP testing protocols UN/ECE Regulation #85:
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:42014X1107(01)&from=EN

* measured on a bench (i.e. no transmission, no auxiliary systems robbing power)
* motor warmed over 3 minutes by producing 80% of peak power
* full load requested across all rev ranges, within 5 minutes

Elon did say a while ago, Tesla Model 3 (performance) would get Ludicrous.

By a while ago of course you mean over a year before the first production Model 3 was even built... no confirmation of any such thing since they've actually been producing the final vehicle though.

The other link is a guy asking (in July 2018) if tesla could unlock more power via software or hardware upgrades (a la ludicrous) and Elon replied:

Elon Musk said:
Definitely. We gave up some grip & width in exchange for range. Would recommend stickier tires & wider on rear for best performance. You might get 3.3 sec 0-60 mph or better with optimized rims & tires.

So there's 2 issues here.

1) We know for a fact his claim on the tires is untrue. Owners who put bigger tires on saw no 0-60 improvements, because the car isn't traction limited even on the stock tires. Even on the stock all season tires on the P3D-. Certainly you might see better non-drag track times putting on race compound tires and wider rims... but your 0-60 won't improve as he suggested.

2) He's not specifically promising ludicrous here- just that they could improve the original Ps performance via updates. Which they've done now. Twice. For free.

And AFAIK the car still isn't traction limited.

By a while ago of course you mean over a year before the first production Model 3 was even built... no confirmation of any such thing since they've actually been producing the final vehicle though.

The other link is a guy asking (in July 2018) if tesla could unlock more power via software or hardware upgrades (a la ludicrous) and Elon replied:

So there's 2 issues here.

1) We know for a fact his claim on the tires is untrue. Owners who put bigger tires on saw no 0-60 improvements, because the car isn't traction limited even on the stock tires. Even on the stock all season tires on the P3D-. Certainly you might see better non-drag track times putting on race compound tires and wider rims... but your 0-60 won't improve as he suggested.

2) He's not specifically promising ludicrous here- just that they could improve the original Ps performance via updates. Which they've done now. Twice. For free.

And AFAIK the car still isn't traction limited.

all good points, so we shall see next year even if there is more.

Speculation upthread about Tesla not publishing its numbers, fearing lawsuits, etc etc... or what its methods are.

Here is Tesla publishing power numbers. Figures at this post are valid as of 2019.36.1 firmware.

Performance:
<382kW = <512bhp

Thats pretty close (387kw) to what i worked out using TeslaBjorn's data logging here What will be the new HP numbers for AWD and P after 12.4?

He has a new video now showing the 5% increase, battery max goes from ~400kw to ~430kw

RWD: 202kW = 271bhp
AWD: <317kW = <425bhp
Performance: <339kW = <454bhp

So that came from the EU market manual. Although the same numbers are published on the US manual.

What's interesting is I looked up a bunch of cars on the local used market, on the government registration page (its public), for models of different ages, and it's all over the place.

AWD: 150kW+190kW; 155kW+195kW; 158kW+203kW
Perf: 155kW+205kW; 150kW+205kW

so... basically the values are all over the place

Well, with the latest update, Bjorn's test equipment shows a max peak of 446Kw (stomping it on a roll) which is ~598HP (flywheel equivalent, not AWHP). From a dig, it showed a max of 431, which is an improvement of +21Kw, i.e. ~30hp, which is right on 5%.

One note, this is peak electrical power, not power the motors output. Flywheel HP is often measured output of an engine with no accessories or drivetrain losses. Peak electric power is presumably the power out from the battery, which is kinda sorta close enough to the same meaningless metric, but not power the motors output.

IIRC the M3P was measured at ~460 WHP peak. And this tapers quickly both before and after this peak around 45-50MPH. ICE vehicles maintain output as speed increases and will have several peaks as it runs through the gears.

I believe Tesla used to rate the S in terms of the absolute peak electrical power the BMS would allow out of the battery, or something along those lines. This is absurdly misleading since its vastly off from what would ever be available to propel the vehicle. Presumably they figured its like saying 'crank HP', but that didn't stand up too well in court.

Last edited:

Since then we have received 2 different updates of 5% extra power. >10% total. HP bump

How much "power" does ludicrous mode add to the S?

What I love the most is how the M3P is simply always ready no matter what, to dish out max power; no waiting for temps ala the S/X have to, etc. Sure, if the battery is cold, and if the SOC is low, that max power will be limited, but you know what I mean.

Also, the latest power update didn't just boost the peak; it sure seems like they improved the torque above that ~45-50. Many people have said their butt dyno says the 60-100mph sure feels stronger. :D

What I love the most is how the M3P is simply always ready no matter what, to dish out max power; no waiting for temps ala the S/X have to, etc. Sure, if the battery is cold, and if the SOC is low, that max power will be limited, but you know what I mean.

Also, the latest power update didn't just boost the peak; it sure seems like they improved the torque above that ~45-50. Many people have said their butt dyno says the 60-100mph sure feels stronger. :D
I wonder why the S/X pack have to be so warm to produce the power.