Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ Sheet metal pop sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only such noise I ever hear is during home charging (32a). Occasionally it sounds like someone is lightly slapping the side of the car once or twice at most. Other than that my 3 is dead silent both on the road and at SCs (though I've only SCd twice).

P3D, VIN 0999XX built late Sept 2018.

PS - for you guys affected by this while driving share your config. Will help isolate if it's only the PUPs, etc. since the noise described sort of sounds like coil bind on lowering springs due to improper rotational alignment.

Wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of PUPs got installed wrong during build or some such. Springs need to be aligned damn near perfect or they will make a certain pop and drive you totally nuts..

Intermittent clunk while driving, very distracting and worrisome. You can feel it very strongly in the floorboards. It does not seem to come from one location. We are 3D, vin, 66278, took delivery 9-15-18.

Reactions: ElectricGhost
After 2,800 miles on my P3D+ this happened to me for the first time yesterday. Once while parked after a ~30min drive, and again while supercharging. This is also my first time driving in temps below 80F, so I think it is definitely correlated with some type of thermal expansion.

The "clunks" people are referring to when starting to charge or during software updates is normal when the contactors are engaging. This noise was much louder and I definitely felt it in my feet through the floor.

• Informative
Reactions: Bighorn
I've experienced the sound/feeling that's being talked about in this thread, however I'm experiencing other "vibrations" that can be felt in the accelerator pedal on my P3D+. Anyone else experiencing weird feelings/sensations/vibrations on the accelerator pedal? It doesn't always do it, and it's not tied to any particular road. Originally I thought it was only happening on bumpy/poorly paved roads, but it's not linked to that. Almost feels like some type of rubbing / vibration sensation against the bottom part of the accelerator pedal (at any speed).

It’s not a diagnostic issue—it’s whether there’s an easy fix. The frame can not be moved with the battery removed because the frame isn’t as robust as previous models.

Hum, if they keep it on a flat surface, seems like it could be rolled (but might not need to be).
Fix might be as simple as: drop the pack, add a piece of foam/ rubber to preload the two surfaces, raise the pack back up.

Sounds like metal flexing between the frame and the battery pack, possible fix could be a could of small holes and spray in closed cell foam to fill the void and stop the metal on metal contact between battery pack and the floor of the car....

Reactions: Bighorn
Sounds like metal flexing between the frame and the battery pack, possible fix could be a could of small holes and spray in closed cell foam to fill the void and stop the metal on metal contact between battery pack and the floor of the car....
I had that thought of injecting an expanding foam—curious to see schematics. Hope it would not create a mess if the battery were ever accessed. It seems the rear floor may have plate that in common.

I had that thought of injecting an expanding foam—curious to see schematics. Hope it would not create a mess if the battery were ever accessed. It seems the rear floor may have plate that in common.

The pack (specifically the penthouse) is the 'floor' under the rear seat. The foam is a cool idea if it has super low adhesion or is done inside a pouch to prevent gluing the pack to the chassis.

I have a dual motor non performance I picked up early September and noticed a series of thunking noises when I was supercharging two days ago. After driving over 100 miles at 80 MPH and arriving home it thunked about 4-5 times in the first 5 minutes I was there. I started charging and went inside so who knows when it stopped. I have around 3,500 miles on the car and never noticed this before.