Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ Street/Track/Time Trial Build

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed Whiteline Adjustable Front Sway Bar End Links and the UP Front Sway Bar last night. Noticeably less body roll; I'm very happy with the setup!

Attachments

• IMG_20190927_201910.jpg
    IMG_20190927_201910.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_20190927_201926.jpg
    IMG_20190927_201926.jpg
    510.7 KB · Views: 207
Reactions: SD_Engnr
Figured it was about time to make a build thread for my 3. Ultimately, I am planning on running the car in NASA Time Trials. For now, sticking with HPDE's until they get the classing figured out.

My first modification to the car was new tires and wheels.

Good stuff, I've been following this thread and just picked up my P3D+ last week, also in NC.

Did you work with someone at MCS or a particular dealer to figure out the setup or was it trial and error? I've been looking at MCS but no packages out yet for Tesla. I've been driving at VIR for 10+ years and really looking forward to getting the 3 out there. Perhaps not as in depth as your build (famous last words....) but I'd definitely like to do a little work.

Great thread OP!

What all have you done for weight reduction and what plans do you have for it in the future?

Absolutely no weight reduction. That is a slippery slope. I want to ensure the vehicle is still practical and livable on a day to day basis. I'm perfectly happy accepting it's a heavy car. The build is nearly complete, now it is just dialing everything in and improving on what I have.

Good stuff, I've been following this thread and just picked up my P3D+ last week, also in NC.

Did you work with someone at MCS or a particular dealer to figure out the setup or was it trial and error? I've been looking at MCS but no packages out yet for Tesla. I've been driving at VIR for 10+ years and really looking forward to getting the 3 out there. Perhaps not as in depth as your build (famous last words....) but I'd definitely like to do a little work.

If you're interested in the MCS Coilovers contact AR Auto Service (AR Autoservice).

I'd love to see some other Model 3's out at VIR, so far I think I'm the only one haha!

Reactions: SD_Engnr
Love those Brake cooling duct!!! I did the same with WRX I had many years ago and it made a huge difference at the track. I used a collector instead of one of those huge fog lights (think early bugeye) and had it run directly to the back of the dust shield much like yours. I had my M3 pref out to a track day about a week ago and the brakes still got too hot. I could smell the pads starting to protest and I had to back off. Could you post some more pics of how you did it? Where does the air come from? Where did you get the hose and how did you route it? Any interference with the suspension? Love to hear more!

Love those Brake cooling duct!!! I did the same with WRX I had many years ago and it made a huge difference at the track. I used a collector instead of one of those huge fog lights (think early bugeye) and had it run directly to the back of the dust shield much like yours. I had my M3 pref out to a track day about a week ago and the brakes still got too hot. I could smell the pads starting to protest and I had to back off. Could you post some more pics of how you did it? Where does the air come from? Where did you get the hose and how did you route it? Any interference with the suspension? Love to hear more!

I'm actually re-doing them in the next few weeks. Will post more info then.

Reactions: destructure00
Went back to NCCAR this weekend to test out the new parts. Everything went smoothly, but my tires were completely trashed and corded after the first session. I ran them two more sessions until I felt it was no longer safe to continue. Unfortunately, this meant my maximum grip was pretty limited, but I still shaved nearly 5 seconds off my previous PB when putting together sector times. I ordered new tires and am hoping this progress translates to VIR in a few weeks. Below is my best video recorded lap.

Attachments

• IMG_20191012_111635.jpg
    IMG_20191012_111635.jpg
    502 KB · Views: 132
Interesting that Tesla has begun to post more agressive track tires to their site.

Believe that, as more Tesla are being taken to the track, that Tesla will increase it's efforts to support their racers.

Also believe that a track configuration is under development to existing cars via OTA updates as more work is being done with their long awaited Plaid hyper speed program.

Should offer more agressive cooling, different programing for adaptable suspensions and even more battery current for short bursts of speed.

Reactions: destructure00