Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ Street/Track/Time Trial Build

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Figured it was about time to make a build thread for my 3. Ultimately, I am planning on running the car in NASA Time Trials. For now, sticking with HPDE's until they get the classing figured out.

My first modification to the car was new tires and wheels.

P3D on 18 x 9.5" APEX EC-7 Wheels & 275mm Tires

2-jpg.374239

I went with 18x9.5" APEX EC-7 Wheels with 275/40ZR-18 Nexen N FERA SUR4G tires. Once these wear out, I am considering switching to Hankook R-S4's.

Next, I looked into front brake upgrades. Given the lack of pads available at the time utilizing the stock calipers, I retrofitted Model S Calipers and Rotors onto the front axle.

UUAo_f4t4O35vF6EyINqbaqJf1vv9x0LtiSasSVWWrzfkjCyV-oWnfqljq9wsc8CiC5DyHKyC1Umt2YqnrDA60_ApsDxShqStSKPY0vMB1qt4I2O3xbWNtuZnLP08fFS49lx86fUqlb2DZtNG9aq19WOblfq0oag3V8koBhglWxbF4Do1ZCZSkaxvclp5gfIlbS3BaGD_LlM1-y_H9o98Xb3cJELo0AX6GMrI3Av77ov8SlgeWTUfPSeGt59uub4-1qYHvfLI27ngM1UiJLTU4qBg1iw91mkg9j8USe_S1bfMlpg9y4nSq3M3avoTjJna-eW9-pjpdvRWqy_rXB7cjlnguOEXrGGGiHUda8HBbhJWnsEydF8C2nkZlwVOVCyY9zQLg-zJ2j3Fe7sGeKYxfCXeo_FZ3Ero4zkkWFj5PasxBg3H45iWzfdkTpFpLceqgyNBHNoub3NoGoTvna7lxe2sziOtOhmdAEsPk4RXF_HlaNCczZTp40EaY0RK03B0V23HHk330pr9vJoB7has4AZOfA-LvSp-C9qr9sSAlcknimDhG_cnUSvAppWZEuXBKnvIMh1XAPMFCM6cwAbNaAZaUD8FmrA3CxeeeNpl0m8DB_o39T6Chfz6X1GG1sHM4eePQFsw_R2C3s5je-Mq466Nx-kub7oAK-ykpK2meTA8AL059ZHYCyu4XbtUlKHYMl4T7fPvx-AEXJS7aITbmoV=w568-h757-no

Gauging Interest: Model S Front Caliper Upgrade Kit

My first pad selection was Hawk DTC-70's. They have great initial bite and torque. However, they don't last very long. I have since switched.

It was at this point that I attended my first track day at NCCAR. The only other modification to the car at the time was Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid.

P3D+ @ NCCAR HPDE

While NCCAR was a fun, new track, I definitely wasn't getting close to the limits of the car. It was a good shakedown.

Shortly thereafter, I brought the car to VIR for a better test.

P3D+ @ VIR (Virginia International Raceway) HPDE

My first event at VIR with the Model 3 was great! It was consistent, my lap times dropped every session, and I laid down a respectable 2:13 fast-lap.

r0dSEfMn0F2WVwTMzMr_xahKfsotPGhZqYUmMDDVE5Xo6aAB35nbDwNchgh98ccbfJU7MAtmQDZjMrpxe13IzXLXTIyeSnZ89JMfsGMrLMIQm6ly5Asr17BZ2QvnD5a9rEGyjzC2pfWzYP1DE-b8DAbnD-z12sdy2QbmRRdx3-RInzfgoHO_Bj21hEZikDHDWnSSV0tbIz--TDXciTLJegqT5BkCNljXw2aJsrrIFlFnrh9BA_yYCbQngdj4O1gNUgROg0peS_o4PCiT2ILaqIOHqsdOALSoscHsCBH023mb1reWhtXz5Do-ICxTLNiE_NRNb4Fws3SJKXikeifgoGdFGFc88_-NuwvuWhHJKw67Qo4PN-Tx2gVyU1A6Xb4V7vRxLSDq9QwHPb7Fo7gVO8xTYENuNCgtXPrUrYZpM6JkG2nJyHZrZN4yJd4uC_luBRGmI3eOcNLHR4-JYMV7_RXIWcLKgAGoVb7r4mfAg51FwKtIfxEW8-alAWuQ9bLRjtdlURr32IowRpefJmswZtcNoNlh27LYrZyZ-ZDpHwtSvptCVjhqfXLE3z-FR_QasLaRs9zmWutYfg530ZZqYs0XG_5SaNu4HSdc-TbzcDGDZwTXhsbFgbukV9pNLUwdJssRBs4vYh2g1qKL_dR6QRP3pNpQU-U=w1136-h757-no

Having proven itself capable on the track, I wanted to focus on more track-oriented modifications before my next event (HyperFest, May 17-19).

This led to me creating a custom rear diffuser to help streamline the aerodynamics of the 3, and reduce the turbulent air.

Custom Enhanced Diffuser (+Downforce?)

img_20190428_103727-jpg.401927

Next, I installed custom 3" Brake Ducts on the front to help keep the brakes cool and lasting longer.

Brake Cooling Ducts

img_20190430_174051-jpg.402921

To finalize my brake upgrades, I installed 355mm Two-Piece Directional Rotors, StopTech Stainless Brake Lines, and Raybestos ST-47 Pads.

img_20190504_152153-jpg.404276

The best part is I have a lot more to come in the next few days, so stay tuned. I am shooting for a 2:05 at VIR next event and hoping I can hit my goal.

Attachments

• abcd.jpg
    abcd.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 363
  • abcd2.jpg
    abcd2.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 351
Sweet build! If you've got a second set of track-dedicated wheels and tires, I'd recommend the Nitto NT01s. They stay sticky heat cycle after heat cycle, generally don't get greasy through a session, have fairly predictable breakaway, and wear really well. They're not a time trial tire, though - you can get stickier tires for a hot lap (I think a recent Miata lap record at Laguna was set on the BFG Rival S).

Were you able to put racing buckets in there with harnesses? Does the Model 3 freak out if you remove the seats?

And here are some teasers of what is near!

Oooh. MCS coilovers! Looking forward to hearing your take on them. Did you go with 2 way? Which spring rates?

If I knew I was going to spend more time at the track, this is the route I'd go. Especially since I've been waiting 5+ months for my MPP coilovers, and still have no clue when they'll be available.

Also, I know you're working on the model S retrofit brake kit, but have you started on a solution for the rear?

Nailed it! How about this (see attached photos)?

Which rear arms are these?

Also, I know you're working on the model S retrofit brake kit, but have you started on a solution for the rear?

Rear P3 caliper is a poser than real performance IMHO. Single piston slider design but with massive overkill three bridge design. When I rebuild my rear caliper, I was disappointed to see the pad so puny compare to the massive body of the caliper. o_O I would be interested in a rear update option.

Sweet build! If you've got a second set of track-dedicated wheels and tires, I'd recommend the Nitto NT01s. They stay sticky heat cycle after heat cycle, generally don't get greasy through a session, have fairly predictable breakaway, and wear really well. They're not a time trial tire, though - you can get stickier tires for a hot lap (I think a recent Miata lap record at Laguna was set on the BFG Rival S).

Were you able to put racing buckets in there with harnesses? Does the Model 3 freak out if you remove the seats?

I've never had an opportunity to try NT01's, but I've heard good things about them. They're just a bit expensive for what they are.

I don't think bucket seats in the 3 is terribly practical. There are airbags and occupancy sensors built into the seats that control a variety of vehicle functions. Not that it isn't possible to move the sensors over, but the practicality of the vehicle is compromised.

Nice thread, thanks for sharing.

Thank you!

Oooh. MCS coilovers! Looking forward to hearing your take on them. Did you go with 2 way? Which spring rates?

If I knew I was going to spend more time at the track, this is the route I'd go. Especially since I've been waiting 5+ months for my MPP coilovers, and still have no clue when they'll be available.

Which rear arms are these?

I went with 1WNR which are up-gradable to 2WR if I deem necessary. Running 800lbs in the front and 1000lbs in the rear. I love MCS, and I love their coilovers. For the purposes of this car, I think they are the best option.

I'll address the brakes below.

The arms are my own. They are steel, as opposed to aluminum (MPP), but they are also much cheaper to the end user. I am hoping to have these to market soon, and they can be built relatively quickly. I am also hoping to offer both rubber and solid bushings. I'll have some more info on them soon.

Rear P3 caliper is a poser than real performance IMHO. Single piston slider design but with massive overkill three bridge design. When I rebuild my rear caliper, I was disappointed to see the pad so puny compare to the massive body of the caliper. o_O I would be interested in a rear update option.

There is an option, but I am not sure it's practical. It would add some weight, and the replacement cost of the stock rear rotors is near-peanuts for what they are. That, combined with the upcoming pad options makes me think it isn't required. That being said, it's not out of the question. We shall see what the future brings!

I don't think bucket seats in the 3 is terribly practical. There are airbags and occupancy sensors built into the seats that control a variety of vehicle functions. Not that it isn't possible to move the sensors over, but the practicality of the vehicle is compromised.

Yeah, anything with side airbags and weight sensors is a pain to have buckets in. For my 07 Miata, I removed the weight sensors (which are large strain gauges) from the passenger rails, permanently bent them, and mounted them remotely. Then I had to find resistors to match the resistance of the side airbags, all to "fool" the car into thinking the OEM seats were still in place (so the airbag system would still work). It's a real PITA. I thought I'd swap seats in and out for track days, but it's too much of a pain and I mostly leave the buckets in.

At the same time, though, once I started going faster at HPDE, I started feeling really naked without a HANS, so I'm glad I did it.

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood
Yeah, anything with side airbags and weight sensors is a pain to have buckets in. For my 07 Miata, I removed the weight sensors (which are large strain gauges) from the passenger rails, permanently bent them, and mounted them remotely. Then I had to find resistors to match the resistance of the side airbags, all to "fool" the car into thinking the OEM seats were still in place (so the airbag system would still work). It's a real PITA. I thought I'd swap seats in and out for track days, but it's too much of a pain and I mostly leave the buckets in.

At the same time, though, once I started going faster at HPDE, I started feeling really naked without a HANS, so I'm glad I did it.

On my NASA GTS-4 BMW E46 M3 I run a full cage with bucket seats, six-point harness, and HANS.

On my BMW F80 M3 I ran bucket seats with Schroth Quick-Fits and HANS.

I agree, there is definitely a better setup than stock belt with no HANS. The airbags would be impossible to swap, but easy to trick. The occupancy sensor you could likely swap over. It just starts to affect the comfort/usability of the car.

Alternatively, this hybrid exists, which appears to work with the stock belt: Hybrid Sport: Simpson Race Products

Got the MCS Coilovers installed. I did raise the front up an inch since these photos as it was initially much too low haha!

Attachments

• IMG_20190512_085448.jpg
    IMG_20190512_085448.jpg
    537.8 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_20190512_092341.jpg
    IMG_20190512_092341.jpg
    642.2 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_20190512_092459.jpg
    IMG_20190512_092459.jpg
    680.6 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_20190512_085457.jpg
    IMG_20190512_085457.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_20190511_161021.jpg
    IMG_20190511_161021.jpg
    630.5 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_20190512_092554.jpg
    IMG_20190512_092554.jpg
    532.3 KB · Views: 351
How much are those? 2500ish? Why you go with those vs the KW setup?

Let us now about the ride quality. My car is my DD and I wonder if they will be ok for my car.

Unfortunately, these are not cheap. All said and done you are looking at roughly $4,000 (dampers, springs, sway bar brackets, rear adjusters, etc). I haven't pictured them yet, but part of that is Ground Control Rear Weight Jacker Set which allows for height adjustment without needing to jack the car up which is an advantage over the other options. Additionally, they are upgradable to 2-Way Remote if you ever found the need for it.

MCS is in a league of their own compared to MPP (KW), or UP (Ohlin). They are the evolution of Moton, which for many years was considered the leader in race dampers. While these coilovers are designed for the track, they claim improved ride comfort over stock. I will report back with results in regards to that claim. Furthermore, MCS holds many podium finishes in amateur racing, and should be a perfect fit for NASA TT.

Ultimately, while the current offerings from MPP and UP are designed for mostly street and some track, these will be right at home on the track and will be more competitive. I was also able to get these in 1 month, whereas MPP and UP are still months out with no hard timeline. MCS has great support and customer service, they were extremely helpful and responsive throughout. I'm very happy with the decision I made and can't wait to get back to VIR next weekend to test them out!

I see two lower collars on the front strut assembly, is that what let's you adjust the height without having to jack up the car?. Also the green sleeve over the rear shock, was that something you added or does that come with the shock?. Thanks

I see two lower collars on the front strut assembly, is that what let's you adjust the height without having to jack up the car?. Also the green sleeve over the rear shock, was that something you added or does that come with the shock?. Thanks

The front cannot be adjusted without hacking up the car. The rear can be. I will have photos shortly. The green sleeve is included.