Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ Street/Track/Time Trial Build

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Track Day with 2020 Tesla 3 Performance.
Had the pleasure of track time with the Tesla M3P for an instructor day at Shenandoah Raceway.
The M3P performed better than expected. FAST! Excellent handling, Best yet is TrackMode records great video, logs lap times and downloads enormous amounts of data in a downloadable spreadsheet.
The Cliffs Notes of the track day are :
Race car handling up to 1.4G’s
Brake rotor temps, battery temp and tire temp and pressures are shown in real time.
Battery use depletes @~2%/actual mile or minute driven on track (~40% used on ave 20 min session)
Remaining range shown depletes @~6 range miles/actual mile or minute driven (~120 miles used/20 min session)
Battery and rotor temps will show orange on display when getting hot and ½-1 lap at slower pace will cool enough to show green for both.
Tesla level 2 charging available at track charging at 39-40 mi/hr.
Also 30 and 50 amp (14-50)RV elec outlets also available.
Shenandoah TESLA 3 lap times in the 1:45-1:46 sec range.
(above recorded with stock 2020 Tesla 3 performance, stock pads, Michelin Cup 4S tires, SRF brake fluid, no modifications)

1Gr9XTXWjmy.png

Comment

Considering that braking is faster than acceleration, "if you try" - we are talking about ~0.3MW of continuous heat that those brakes would need to exhaust. I guess 5 minutes before they will be irreversibly dead.

Anyway, that's great APs are holding up well. Is it possible that you can measure caliper expansion at maximum pedal pressure?

I was being hyperbolic, but my point being under normal street driving or even heavy track use it would be difficult to overheat them.

I'm really not sure how I would measure that, but what I can tell you is that the braking is stiff. With pretty much any other brake setup I have run, you get "play" in the pedal and a lot of movement under braking. With the AP kit it's almost like stepping on solid brick. It takes a little getting used to, but it's really confidence inspiring knowing that they are always there and always consistent.

@MasterC17 was curious if your ap caliper set makes a fair amount of noise? And do you have the anti knock back springs in place? I drive my car a ton for work and would hate to lose a bunch of range with anti knock back and have also heard even with out them the j hook pattern rotors make a ton of noise.. I am thinking i might actually pull the trigger on a big brake kit here sooner than later as I did have some problems(minor) with my brakes at the last event. It would be between the upcoming MPP setup for the AP setup

@MasterC17 was curious if your ap caliper set makes a fair amount of noise? And do you have the anti knock back springs in place? I drive my car a ton for work and would hate to lose a bunch of range with anti knock back and have also heard even with out them the j hook pattern rotors make a ton of noise.. I am thinking i might actually pull the trigger on a big brake kit here sooner than later as I did have some problems(minor) with my brakes at the last event. It would be between the upcoming MPP setup for the AP setup

I have the AKBS in place. They make a wee bit of noise, but not really a noticeable amount. It's like a low humming.

Upon further inspection, the range loss appears to be in the 8% range, which isn't terrible but also isn't great. For a daily driver, I would probably remove them. It's not too difficult to pop them out.

That all being said, the AP Kit is actually really quiet. The pads have never make noise. By contrast, after a few events the Carbotechs that I have in my wifes car have become very, very noisy. I'm going to have to pull them out when I'm not running an event with them.

I don't think you could go wrong with either the MPP Kit or the AP Kit, I would not consider any of the other options available for the 3 at this point. I do think a BBK is the way to go, as you will probably eventually need a BBK so it doesn't make sense to do the brake work multiple times (which would cost more in the long run).

I have the AKBS in place. They make a wee bit of noise, but not really a noticeable amount. It's like a low humming.

Upon further inspection, the range loss appears to be in the 8% range, which isn't terrible but also isn't great. For a daily driver, I would probably remove them. It's not too difficult to pop them out.

That all being said, the AP Kit is actually really quiet. The pads have never make noise. By contrast, after a few events the Carbotechs that I have in my wifes car have become very, very noisy. I'm going to have to pull them out when I'm not running an event with them.

I don't think you could go wrong with either the MPP Kit or the AP Kit, I would not consider any of the other options available for the 3 at this point. I do think a BBK is the way to go, as you will probably eventually need a BBK so it doesn't make sense to do the brake work multiple times (which would cost more in the long run).
Thnx for the input. 8% range would definitely be a problem for me. I commute about 400 miles once a week, and that would add a bit of charge time to my trip. Going to have to wait for mpp specs to see what direction ill be going.