TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

P85 drive unit the same as a p85+ drive unit?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by sledom, Aug 30, 2018.

1. sledom

sledom Member

Sooooo I found a 1025276-00-q guy says it’s from a p85+

Does anyone know if a p85 + motor is compatable With a standard p85 also I thought the “p” revision was the most recent but this is a “q” revision. Is this something I should go after?

2. LeadFootPA

LeadFootPA Member

My 2012 had the Q drive unit swapped from the original in feb. 2016. Just this month I had the same milling noise come back, they put another Q but has some different numbers , see below for compare. I would like to know as well if this is the P drive unit as well? Is a software update the only thing holding it back?

Attached Files:

3. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

#3 thecloud, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    As far as I'm aware, there's no difference between a drive unit for a P85 and one for a P85+. They're the same large rear drive unit with the performance inverter. A P85+ is just a P85 with a better suspension.

However, there is quite a difference between a drive unit for a P85/P85+ and one for a standard 85.

When I had DU replacements on my P85, the part numbers looked like this:
    Compare with yours:
    The 'BASE' designation on the 1025276-00-Q unit (instead of 'SPORT') would make me wonder if it was really a performance unit. I've read elsewhere here that the Q units are for standard RWD cars, and the P units are the performance units. You might want to ask Tesla what the difference is between the BASE and SPORT designations.

• Informative x 1
  4. LeadFootPA

LeadFootPA Member

Thanks, sounds reasonable.

5. David99

David99 Active Member

I remember when they started advertising the + cars. It was literally just a suspension tuneup. Definitely not a different drive unit.

My standard 85 had quite a few DU replacements. I know for sure the first ones were not Q units. Once I got a Q unit the issues I had before with several DUs was finally gone for good. I have to dig through old invoices and see what numbers it was.

6. Sup3rt3sla

Sup3rt3sla Member

My P85 will have its 2nd DU (part number 1002633-01-H replaced in 2014) replaced by the end of the month. The SC told me they have a suitable DU in stock. Is the most recent Performance DU revision still "P"? I would like to check with them that I'm not getting an older revision.

Thanks

7. Chaserr

Chaserr Member

Same DU, Performance Plus is a handling package no additional horsepower.

Latest DU rev was P for performance cars, and Q for non-Performance cars. I could be wrong, maybe that's changed in the last few months but that was the case last I'd heard.

8. jread

jread Member

Just had mine replaced today with DU "R" for a P85+ (1002633-01-R)

• Informative x 2