Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 is in my opinion, a total waste of money compared to the regular 85 kw version!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I,m good with an 85

Hmmm...a strong presentation of your opinion here. P vs. regular is the only remaining question for me as I await my April delivery. It's so difficult to find any reviews of the standard model out there...heck, even just a P85 rather than P85+. All major reviewers are handed a P85+ to review. There are a couple of YouTube 0-60 comparisons P85 vs regular, but that's about it. I keep on thinking I might regret not getting the P85, but then I look at more than 10 grand USD to go there, and I say, "enough."

its not about the 0-60 in 4.0+ seconds, it,s about the ability to take a decent field trip, for travel like an ICE car, not fretting after 150 miles of travel. Looking for a charger.

i love my regular 85. Seattle to palm springs, two days, 00-GAS. Its the zero gas for me, and zero emissions, and the knowing this is a very, very special, smart, sexy, beautiful machine.

Hooray for us!

its not about the 0-60 in 4.0+ seconds, it,s about the ability to take a decent field trip, for travel like an ICE car, not fretting after 150 miles of travel. Looking for a charger.

i love my regular 85. Seattle to palm springs, two days, 00-GAS. Its the zero gas for me, and zero emissions, and the knowing this is a very, very special, smart, sexy, beautiful machine.

Hooray for us!

The OP is saying the P85 is a waste of money over the S85. The OP needs to get a life. No reason trying to justify your opinion here buddy. It's a stupid argument you are making. People pay tons more every day for less improvement in performance on other cars so you are clearly in the minority.

The OP is saying the P85 is a waste of money over the S85. The OP needs to get a life. No reason trying to justify your opinion here buddy. It's a stupid argument you are making. People pay tons more every day for less improvement in performance on other cars so you are clearly in the minority.

Agreed. Do we even know he owns a S85 anyway?

He should buy a used Jetta if saving money is the rule. Nice car and will save about $70,000.

Op: to each his own! Each and very one of us has configured our car to be the way WE want it to be. That is what is nice about tesla. You don't walk up to the dealership and pick up one of the 300 same exact cars they have on their lot. Yes I may drive right next to another grey MS but guess what his isn't going to be configured exactly the same as mine. Why don't you lay your balls out on the table and tell us what you ordered so we can all critique you as you have not only felt the need to do one time but now twice. Who cares. I mean really? The freaking car is REALLY expensive. At this point what is another $15k amongst friends. (I sAy this completely sarcastically by the way. This car was a stretch but we figured if we are going to do it. Let's DO IT the way we want it done!) let it go and be done with it. Take you P opinion elsewhere.

This grey guy is a joke and has no clue about nothing. Who will feel the 1.5 second difference 0-60 ? WTF? 1.5 seconds is enormous and EVERYBODY can feel the difference. The guy is either a troll or simply jealous of those who can afford a P.

Close this thread as it is totally useless.

Strange test, really? A bit more power makes "all the difference"?

However, the numbers don`t lie. The P85 is by far quicker from 0-40mph. Above 40mph the difference between the S85 and the P85 is so small it`s probably hard to tell the difference behind the wheel (according to acceleration numbers and power graphs).

Strange test, really? A bit more power makes "all the difference"?

However, the numbers don`t lie. The P85 is by far quicker from 0-40mph. Above 40mph the difference between the S85 and the P85 is so small it`s probably hard to tell the difference behind the wheel (according to acceleration numbers and power graphs).
I suspect what he had trouble saying in words is something like this...

For autocross, you spend most (all? - depends on the course) of your time at sub-45mph and, accordingly, low-end acceleration makes a big difference. Consequently, you can feel the P85 vs. S85 (and S85 vs. S60) difference more dramatically than in day to day driving. At least, that's my interpretation.

As for higher speed (full track, lapping and/or racing), the overheating (or whatever it is...) that turns on the acceleration limiter relatively quickly (<= 1 lap) curtails the fun of the P85 pretty quickly. Some say the S85 feels a bit better because you don't hit the limiter as quickly, and thus you get maybe 2-3 laps before you hit the "half acceleration wall" so you don't feel the loss of oomph quite as quickly and dramatically.

Tesla if you're listening: This remains my number one complaint with the vehicle performance -- "autobahn tuning" / "track tuning" means little to me as an owner if you can't address the "you get 1/2 a lap and then the party's over" problem.

As to the article...

His complaint is about the look of the nosecone? What an odd choice of concern to focus on when evaluating the track experience with the vehicle. Takes something away from the article for me.