Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 or P85D in Used Inventory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You bought a p85D used from Tesla and it has ludicrous?
Yes. Wasn’t listed as having it in their website but I knew what to look for. The previous owner would have paid extra for the upgrade, and they LEASED the car.

A lot of the cars Tesla sells used are lease returns so it was kind of rare to find one. The P90D and P100D models weren’t a separate upgrade like the original.

I didn't say it was stupid of them doing it. I said it was the reason for the accelerated depreciation. Companies are free to set their own prices and features.

That said, people may be influenced about the depreciation of their vehicles if this trend continues. Tesla is a luxury brand to be sure, and there is often high depreciation of luxury vehicles, but 60% depreciation in 4 years is very high, especially if you're starting at 6 figure price.

I didn't say it was stupid of them doing it. I said it was the reason for the accelerated depreciation. Companies are free to set their own prices and features.

That said, people may be influenced about the depreciation of their vehicles if this trend continues. Tesla is a luxury brand to be sure, and there is often high depreciation of luxury vehicles, but 60% depreciation in 4 years is very high, especially if you're starting at 6 figure price.
On the other hand, if I can pick up a 2017/18 P100D in 3 years for $40K, I will be super pleased. I’ll take the 4-5 year old leftovers and save 70% off MSRP all day!!!

Yeah! Stupid Tesla! Making more and better cars for cheaper! Stupid company!

The point is, Elon is, and has been, 100% lying about the resale value of the cars they are pumping out. Along with many other things.

Tesla makes good cars in the class for sure but he is a real snake oil salesman.

There is no way I would ever purchase a new or used vehicle from them at this point.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark and am_dmd
The point is, Elon is, and has been, 100% lying about the resale value of the cars they are pumping out. Along with many other things.

Tesla makes good cars in the class for sure but he is a real snake oil salesman.

There is no way I would ever purchase a new or used vehicle from them at this point.

Tesla clearly isn't for you. Enjoy something else and their forums.

Seriously? That's the hill you choose to die on?

You're quoting an article from April, 2013, more than six years ago, when Tesla sold less than 15,000 original Model Ss.

To even qualify for the buyback guarantee, people had to finance the car with Tesla (WF or USBank) for a minimum of three years. And I believe you lost the buyback if you paid off the loan early.

The buyback program is also a program they ended years ago. Not a secret.

And if you were to extract what he was saying back then, it was that Model S would hold its value compared to a Mercedes S Class, after THREE YEARS. He never said anything about longer term resale value.

So, please, when else has Elon ever mentioned the long-term resale value of these cars, not including the buyback guarantee from 2013 and beyond three years compared to Mercedes S Class?

My P85D had an initial MSRP of $135K. I bought it used from Tesla for $70K. If I sold it today I would get $50-55K.

So you're upset that your car depreciated 25%, or that someone else took the initial ~60% depreciation hit? Sounds like you got a great deal. I bought my P85D used for $86k. Do you see me crying in my Cheerios?

Last edited:
Below are a small sample of the facts that undermine the story you tell yourself to feed your upset:

upload_2019-9-16_16-4-57.png

Study: Tesla Model X and Model S continue to hold values better than rivals

upload_2019-9-16_16-3-43.png

Used Cars for Sale: Search 2 Million Listings & 508,257 Deals - iSeeCars.com

Seriously? That's the hill you wan to die on?

You're quoting an article from April, 2013, more than six years ago, when Tesla sold less than 15,000 original Model Ss.

To even qualify for the buyback guarantee, people had to finance the car with Tesla (WF or USBank) for a minimum of three years. And I believe you lost the buyback if you paid off the loan early.

The buyback program is also a program they ended years ago. Not a secret.

And if you were to extract what he was saying back then, it was that Model S would hold its value compared to a Mercedes S Class, after THREE YEARS. He never said anything about longer term resale value.

So, please, when else has Elon ever mentioned the long-term resale value of these cars, not including the buyback guarantee from 2013 and beyond three years compared to Mercedes S Class?

So you're upset that your car depreciated 25%, or that someone else took the initial ~60% depreciation hit? Sounds like you got a great deal. I bought my P85D used for $86k. Do you see me crying in my Cheerios?

I’m not crying about it. Just patiently waiting for all the M3 owners to realize their cars aren’t going to be worth anything in 3 years.

For some reason they think depreciation is exclusive to the S and X series and that Teslas, in general, hold their value better than the competition.

It’s not. And they don’t.

And the chart linked above...17% depreciation on a Model S after 3 years?! What universe is that a reality in?

Below are a small sample of the facts that undermine the story you tell yourself to feed your upset:

Ooof, look at the date on that. December 2018. Remember what happened earlier this year with the massive price cuts? I'm pretty sure if they ran that report now it will look a little bit different ;)

Actually that asterisk seems like they're calculating depreciation as
1-(current value/current new car price)

Where it should be
1-(current value/original price paid)

A person who paid $140K for P100D in December 2018 now has a car worth about $80K. The correct method of calculating depreciation would be 1-(80/140) = 42.9% depreciation

This incorrect method of calculating it would be 1-(80/100) = 20.0% depreciation

Reactions: glide
Oooof,

People who bought in 2012 could have complained that the P and regular 85Ds in 2014 with AWD and autopilot were better values.
People who bought in 2014/2015 could have complained that the P and regular 100Ds in 2016/7/8 with AP2/2.5 were better values.

And now here you are.

And the people who buy now could complain that whatever comes out in 2021 or whenever was a better value.

yawn. welcome to capitalism and especially Tesla.

-- where life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and actually buy something, you could miss it.

Ooof, look at the date on that. December 2018. Remember what happened earlier this year with the massive price cuts? I'm pretty sure if they ran that report now it will look a little bit different ;)

Actually that asterisk seems like they're calculating depreciation as
1-(current value/current new car price)

Where it should be
1-(current value/original price paid)

A person who paid $140K for P100D in December 2018 now has a car worth about $80K. The correct method of calculating depreciation would be 1-(80/140) = 42.9% depreciation

This incorrect method of calculating it would be 1-(80/100) = 20.0% depreciation

Oooof,

People who bought in 2012 could have complained that the P and regular 85Ds in 2014 with AWD and autopilot were better values.
People who bought in 2014/2015 could have complained that the P and regular 100Ds in 2016/7/8 with AP2/2.5 were better values.

And now here you are.

yawn. welcome to capitalism and especially Tesla.

Where life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, and actually buy something, you could miss it.

giphy.gif

People are just pointing out that the “facts” in the “study” you linked are total BS.

So, yeah.

Reactions: BPeter
I linked to two studies. How many did you link to to justify your upset?

I’m not trying to “justify my upset”.

The reality is these vehicles depreciate over double the rate your “study” claims during a 3 year period. This can be verified by looking at the original sales price vs. what vehicles are selling for on the secondary market.

All of this real world data is available as Tesla does not make their MSRP a secret.

So the real question is, why are you trying to con people into believing Tesla’s have a depreciation rate of 19% over 3 years?

I'm not upset, I am thankful for the price cuts personally, a new P100D came down in price enough for me to justify it. I know it's a luxury car and will have massive depreciation, I was just pointing out that the study you linked is BS. 17% after 3 years is a joke. People who bought less than a year ago have already depreciated more than twice that amount.

Reactions: glide