Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 vs 85D

P85 or 85D

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
85D owner here, and I've driven two P85+ service loaners.

The 85D and P85/P85+ are both fine cars. For long drives, I'd prioritize having AP hardware over specific models (do note that P85/P85+ with AP are rare, only a few hundred were made). After that, you're trading a slightly quieter car with a bigger frunk and sportier feel (P85 and especially P85+) for a more planted feel and more even tire wear (85D).

Someone upthread mentioned that the 85D has the next-gen seats. That is not universally true...it was an option (my car has the old-gen leather seats). Not sure about seats on the P85/P85+.

Also to OP: If you are looking at 85D configurations, do note that the options packages were reorganized in March/April 2015. Cars before that change could have a "tech package". During that reorganization, the options that were in the tech package were split to be a part of the base configuration (navigation) and the premium package (liftgate, some others?). Also, Autopilot was made an option on its own. So a little effort might be needed to compare cars built with the before and after options packages.

Bruce.

Thanks guys. (I think you're all guys) A lot to think about. No right or wrong, and yeah, bmah, I am spinning with all the different little quirks. I defo want AP though. Originally was freaked out by it but the prospect of not having to accel brake accel brake in gridlock sounds so helpful. I was wondering what "tech package" meant. I wonder a lot of things. lol
I do currently live in the flat land, but I don't always stay in my box. And who knows what the future may bring.
Do people have to register cars as taxis if they use them for Uber or that car rental thing? Probably varies state to state

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
@islandchick,

Instead of an S85D, you could consider the Model 3 Long Range AWD which has many advantages. You get more range and shorter supercharge times. See the table here. Also, you get AP2.5 which supports Fully-Self-Driving. AP1 does not. A typical Model 3 LRD costs $54,200 after federal tax credits.

A typical Model 3 LR AWD (aka Model 3 LRD) configuration:
Standard Vehicle Price $35,000
Long Range Battery $9,000
Premium Upgrades Package $5,000
All-Wheel Drive $5,000
Non-black single coat paint $1,500
Enhanced Autopilot $5,000
Destination & Doc Fee $1,200
Federal tax credits -$7,500 (Drops to $3,750 after 31 Dec 2018. Details here)
Total = $54,200

Last edited:
Unless you live in the US where second hand Tesla’s are somewhat abundant, it may come down to simply what is available given the options you want. I wanted a Tesla CPO car with 4 years warranty. Would have preferred a RWD car simply for more frunk space and some other reasons listed here (probably more quiet, maybe less to go wrong). But ended up with a D because there are by now few RWD cars coming through the CPO web site, at least where I live.

Just my 2 Cents since I also went through a similar situation in the last few weeks! I’ve not received the car yet so cannot comment on driving/dynamics/etc.

Good luck with your purchase, I really enjoyed the research phase I went through before buying and this forum was invaluable. I think whatever car you buy, it’s a little piece of history because there were so may combinations for sale in the earlier days, they are all special in their own way.

Only the older ones. IIRC in ~2014 the frunks are all the same for RWD and AWD.
Frunks shrunk when awd was introduced (and then again when bio-defense mode was). P85D replaced P85 when dual motor was announced, which means there would be very, very few P85's out there (if any) built for people who ordered a P85 before the dual motor announcement and decided not to spend the $5K extra to upgrade to the D. Personally I have not heard of any rear-wheel drive P85's with the AWD frunk.

I have a rare P85 with autopilot and after 75,000 miles, I still love it. That said, I prefer the AWD’s that I’ve driven because they feel more connected to the road. The front motor whine is a slight distraction, but not a big deal. I find that I rarely use the frunk so I don’t think I would be bothered by a smaller frunk caused by the presence of the front motor.

AP is huge for me, even AP1, and I don’t think I would want to buy any Tesla without it.

As many have observed, this is all personal preference. There are no wrong answers. Whatever you end up with, it will still be a Tesla, with all the fun that brings.

Reactions: Blu Zap
I am stuck on the free supercharging, and the only way to get that in a 3 is to spend over $70k, which is significantly above my cash budget, and fwiw, only came about after I made many arguments for its availability to M3 reservation holders.
And I agree, I am sure I will be happy with whatever I get.

Hey, I am looking into used Teslas. I know the basic difference between P85 and 85D, the 2wd vs 4wd, but in practice, what are the differences? Preferences?
Where you live I'd choose 85D, probably, for the slight added range and the improved driving in torrential rain and or flooding. OTOH,now with Florida City Supercharger and all those key West destination chargers range makes little difference. Anyway you'll beat rated range every time from Key West to Miami. MY P85D made that trip numerous times with 220 Wh/mi or less, so it was easy to leave Miami with 90% charge and have 25% left when arriving in Key West. It is much better with at least AP-1 because the drive is sooo much easier when teh AP can manage those interminable stretches behind visiting FarNorthern RV's.

Anyway every Tesla is wonderful.