Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D motor hp controversy starts also to show in U.S. media

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who says the first two cars were tested with a different rollout standard? The angry mob that makes up the horsepower conspiracy theorists?

From the real-world tests I've seen of the 70D and 85D, there's the same variance in those tests found with a P90DL (which points to thinks like wheels, road condition, passenger weight, other options are causing the variance). If you're using non-performance 19" tires on the 70D and 85D, those tests seem to match up with what Tesla has provided with assuming a one foot rollout was used (one foot rollouts, by the way, make a more drastic difference the faster a car is--the limiting effect of traction from a standing rest to moving is a much larger percentage of a fast car's rollout time, than a slow car's rollout time).

No manufacturer out there specifies the exact details of their test, but inevitably their test can always be replicated by at least a few test magazines under the right conditions. As one might note, the website doesn't state that you need performance 21" tires to reach the provided number. You don't know how light the driver was, what weather conditions it was done in, the tires' PSI, what other options are on the car, and other factors.

No different than another econo-EV (smart ED) I've followed, where some users document 0-60 times a good 15-25% faster than what the manufacturer provided and multiple magazines were off by 1-2 seconds on their tests. In that case the manufacturer (based in Europe) most definitely used a non-US method for a rollout and likely LRR wheels as well. No one accused Daimler of lying about their tests, but instead people realized that there was a reason why some people saw 10 seconds 0-60, and why some people could hit 7.8 seconds 0-60.

Tesla engineers don't just design these tests and times, then sit back and say "LOL, we fooled yet another person on TMC! Let's high-five over our unabashed trickery and roll over the piles of money given to us by these foolish consumers who thought they were buying a high-performance car!"[/COLOR]

At least you're open about being a tesla investor because your posts introduce spurious noise to deflect the point and paint tesla in a best light you possibly car. I'm afraid I think you are showing bias, unsurprising as you have a vested interest in the company.

The cars should be tested the same way. I think we can agree that should be the case.

There were doubts about the P85D and ludicrous times, doubts which never existed and still don't in other models. it then transpired they quoted a different standard, one that wasn't even an official standard but one from a magazine.

A 85D regularly gets timed significantly faster than its quoted spec (sub 4 seconds) irrespective of wheels or any of the other variables you've introduced. This indicates to me that the quoted spec is without rollout or worse they've published a slower more conservative time to exaggerate the difference.

They don't publicise the combined deliverable power on a P85/90D - they do for their other cars, and it's NOT the sum of the motor power. So why not for the P cars? And don't say 'it's difficult' because the same difficulty is there in the other cars.

If Tesla is just following the ECE 85 standard, why is the standard changing from car to car?

If Tesla is just following a weird american standard (which BTW violates everything every American learned at school about physics), why is the standard changing from car to car?
Tesla still has motor power on this page. I believe this has been pointed out many times to you already but you continue to ignore it.
http://www.teslamotors.com/models#battery-options

As for why they continue to leave out the system power number for P85D, I already addressed that point multiple times across many threads. The obvious reason is it would upset the P85D owners complaining, whereas for the other models no one complained.

I should point out for probably the 10th time that the only number they advertised was "motor power" from the span between October 2014 (with dual motor launch) to March/April 2015. They did not set out with different numbering standards for different models. It only evolved to that way because of the complaints from P85D owners starting with this thread in March 2015:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...uld-have-an-asterisk-*-next-to-it-Up-to-691HP

If Tesla is just following a weird american standard (which BTW violates everything every American learned at school about physics), why is the standard changing from car to car?
23auck.png

Sorry. There are no excuses for Tesla's conduct. It is pathetic.
We don't know if the numbers for the others are with or without rollout. It can equally be underestimating of those numbers. Others have also addressed the point why it makes sense for P85D vs other models. The P85D is Tesla's performance model that is frequently benchmarked against other performance cars by magazines here. The 3.1 second number was arrived at by Motor Trend, and Tesla chose to go with that number for advertising. Whereas for the other models most car magazines didn't even test at all.

- - - Updated - - -

They don't publicise the combined deliverable power on a P85/90D - they do for their other cars, and it's NOT the sum of the motor power. So why not for the P cars? And don't say 'it's difficult' because the same difficulty is there in the other cars.
I already addressed pretty much exactly the same question a long while back on this thread. There is no technical difficulty but rather customer satisfaction difficultly. All quoting a lower number right now will do is drive P85D owners complaining about it up the wall. Tesla has to first get them to understand the "motor power" rating they used previously.

For the other models no one complained about using motor power so they don't have the same constraint.

Edit: I found the post, it was actually asked by Laserbrain.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...hread/page45?p=1167860&viewfull=1#post1167860

Last edited:
Tesla still has motor power on this page. I believe this has been pointed out many times to you already but you continue to ignore it.
http://www.teslamotors.com/models#battery-options

As for why they continue to leave out the system power number for P85D, I already addressed that point multiple times across many threads. The obvious reason is it would upset the P85D owners complaining, whereas for the other models no one complained.

I should point out for probably the 10th time that the only number they advertised was "motor power" from the span between October 2014 (with dual motor launch) to March/April 2015. They did not set out with different standards for different models. It only evolved to that way because of the complaints from P85D owners starting with this thread in March 2015:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...uld-have-an-asterisk-*-next-to-it-Up-to-691HP

We don't know if the numbers for the others or with or without rollout. It can equally be underestimating of those numbers. Others have also addressed the point why it makes sense for P85D vs other models. The P85D is Tesla's performance model that is frequently benchmarked against other performance cars by magazine here. The 3.1 second number was arrived at by Motor Trend, and Tesla chose to go with that number for advertising. Whereas for the other models most car magazines didn't even test at all.

- - - Updated - - -

I already addressed pretty much exactly the same question. There is no technical difficulty but rather customer satisfaction difficultly. All quoting a lower number right now will do is drive P85D owners complaining about it up the wall. Tesla has to first get them to understand the "motor power" rating they used previously.

For the other models no one complained about using motor power so they don't have the same constraint.

Customers will only complain if it's significantly different to expectation. You post 'I've already explained that' in response to our complaints as if you've solved the issue, when all you are really doing is speculating on the bad publicity if they admit we are correct.

The performance figures for the 85D are easily bettered. While we have no comment from Tesla, this in itself says something about those numbers.

It's pretty straightforward, really.

At the announcement (and really, for months past the delivery of the first cars), nobody knew about how they arrived at their motor power numbers -- there was no indication as to which standard or testing methodology might be in play. With an electric motor, one of the wonderful things about the rated numbers is that they tend to be very reproducible, provided you feed the motor the right amperage (and can keep the voltage high enough to meet spec). From what was known about the chemistry, configuration and other characteristics of the battery, and given that the limitations of the fuse were not public at the time, it's very possible that that a reasonable person could believe that the appropriate amount of power would be delivered by the battery delivered with the car, even if only for a brief time. It was easy to believe that the car would realize these amazing numbers -- every model tesla had sold to date had done so or better, right?

Now, in the ~year since the product announcement, a couple of important facts have dribbled out into the public:

- Motor testing parameters (indicating that the battery is not used during testing.)
- Various parts of the battery are limited to ~1300A, at all times.

Had this information been at / near the announcement, I would have been a fool to believe that the stated HP numbers were achievable in the real world. It would have been obvious it's just marketing-fluffery that the company has not gone to any length to correct. As it stands, I was made to be foolish -- quite a different thing.

I love my car. It's a wonderful machine. It does not do some of the things that I was led to believe that it would. This is naturally upsetting, but it's not the end of the world. I would appreciate it if those that have derided the owners that share my view of this as "conspiracy theorists" that are "out to get tesla" would take it down a notch.

I love my car. It's a wonderful machine. It does not do some of the things that I was led to believe that it would. This is naturally upsetting, but it's not the end of the world. I would appreciate it if those that have derided the owners that share my view of this as "conspiracy theorists" that are "out to get tesla" would take it down a notch.

That's also my point of view. It's a wonderful car and I love it. I think they made an honest mistake but as a customer I want an honest explenation and perhaps some suggestions what they can do to fix it.

It's pretty straightforward, really.

At the announcement (and really, for months past the delivery of the first cars), nobody knew about how they arrived at their motor power numbers -- there was no indication as to which standard or testing methodology might be in play. With an electric motor, one of the wonderful things about the rated numbers is that they tend to be very reproducible, provided you feed the motor the right amperage (and can keep the voltage high enough to meet spec). From what was known about the chemistry, configuration and other characteristics of the battery, and given that the limitations of the fuse were not public at the time, it's very possible that that a reasonable person could believe that the appropriate amount of power would be delivered by the battery delivered with the car, even if only for a brief time. It was easy to believe that the car would realize these amazing numbers -- every model tesla had sold to date had done so or better, right?

Now, in the ~year since the product announcement, a couple of important facts have dribbled out into the public:

- Motor testing parameters (indicating that the battery is not used during testing.)
- Various parts of the battery are limited to ~1300A, at all times.

Had this information been at / near the announcement, I would have been a fool to believe that the stated HP numbers were achievable in the real world. It would have been obvious it's just marketing-fluffery that the company has not gone to any length to correct. As it stands, I was made to be foolish -- quite a different thing.

+1.....

It's safe to say many would not not have bought the P85D if it were advertised as 550 HP. Tesla knew the true HP. We did not. They also knows HP sells. We were sold.

The article and forum posts you're referring to are not written by Tesla, and not on the ordering page/spec sheet. You can't expect every potential customer to know where to find such unofficial information before ordering.

And even if there was one blog which questioned Tesla's hp-rating, at the same time there were thousands of articles all over the place saying car has 691 hp.

The article and forum posts you're referring to are not written by Tesla, and not on the ordering page/spec sheet. You can't expect every potential customer to know where to find such unofficial information before ordering.

Nobody is saying that they were written by Tesla. Can we stop propping the myth that "nobody new"?

Nobody is saying that they were written by Tesla. Can we stop propping the myth that "nobody new"?

If the information didn't come from Tesla, then you didn't "know", you were just speculating. In fact you said it yourself: "Here is my TMC post just hours before the event speculating that…". It looks like your educated guess turned out to be correct — congratulations.

Potential customers had no way of knowing for sure, and that's the point Jallum was trying to make.

If the information didn't come from Tesla, then you didn't "know", you were just speculating. In fact you said it yourself: "Here is my TMC post just hours before the event speculating that…". It looks like your educated guess turned out to be correct — congratulations.

Potential customers had no way of knowing for sure, and that's the point Jallum was trying to make.

The information in the article was clearly coming from Tesla. No speculation there, plenty specific. You should just stop propping yet another myth: "nobody knew"

The information in the article was clearly coming from Tesla. No speculation there, plenty specific. You should just stop propping yet another myth: "nobody knew"

Again, how is a potential customer supposed to know that he must read the Green Car Reports article before making a purchase on Tesla's website? And why should he? I don't care if David Nolan really knew (I'm not the one claiming "nobody knew", so let's just say he did know), because it's completely irrelevant to people ordering the car.

And even if there was one blog which questioned Tesla's hp-rating, at the same time there were thousands of articles all over the place saying car has 691 hp.

Why we are having such a hard time with reality? The article did not "question" Tesla - they explained the new rating plain and simple. Sorry, but it looks like another bubble just burst...

So I should know the content of that blog post when I did order my car in October last year? And where in that blog post is the proof?

I have contacted Unece that have the ECE R85 standard, Type Approval standards and some testing laboratories. So we can get an answer and stop speculating how it should be tested and how the power figures can be published.

Last edited:
+1.....

It's safe to say many would not not have bought the P85D if it were advertised as 550 HP. Tesla knew the true HP. We did not. They also knows HP sells. We were sold.

Yep, me too. Shame on me to expect performance commensurate with the promoted 691hp. Some we apparently more skeptical/careful. Some even knew the number would have no bearing on the cars performance. Good for them. Hope they have their money in their pockets. I thought I was buying a high horsepower wonder car. It turns out to be a wonder car with extreme low end torque and outstanding traction control. The ultimate launch control - providing a neat parlor trick launch at just over 1g. Nice, but hardly performance comparable (in the larger sense) to the famous FI.