Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D motor hp controversy starts also to show in U.S. media

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just laugh at the owners who are too proud to admit that they weren't smart enough to realize exactly what performance they were getting. The performance numbers were there for all the world to see from the very beginning. Just because you guys decided to use 691hp and a typical ICE hp/weight ratio performance metric, doesn't mean that it in any way should apply to the car you bought.

And thus this conversation should end. But I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict it doesn't.

I know many folks who bought the P85D for AWD, my family included...I know a couple of folks who bought the P85D for upgraded performance over the P85...I know no one who bought a P85D because it was 691 HP...

@amped....
quote...(It's not at all safe to say that. You have no idea. Have you polled all P85D owners? Of course not. You are proffering nothing more than an opinion that is steeped in your position.). unquote

now you are being silly. Are you disputing that HP sells? Do you think I made this up? Did you even dish out the extra $$$$$ for a PD like I did?

I know many folks who bought the P85D for AWD, my family included...I know a couple of folks who bought the P85D for upgraded performance over the P85...I know no one who bought a P85D because it was 691 HP...

How about the people that bought the P85D for many reasons, and would like it to meet or exceed their expectations (based on communications from Tesla) on all of them and not just most of them?

How about the people that bought the P85D for many reasons, and would like it to meet or exceed their expectations (based on communications from Tesla) on all of them and not just most of them?
I have listened to you. I have heard you. As a fellow P85D owner you and I are in the same boat, so to speak. So at this point my only question is - what measure of satisfaction are you realistically looking for?

I have listened to you. I have heard you. As a fellow P85D owner you and I are in the same boat, so to speak. So at this point my only question is - what measure of satisfaction are you realistically looking for?

I honestly don't know.

I am still hoping and trusting that Tesla will eventually come around, want to make things right, and attempt to do so. Until recently I thought free Ludicrous upgrades would get the cars close enough that most people would be happy with that, but now it looks like the Ludicrous upgrades may fall well short of what they promised. So I'm back to saying I honestly don't know.

I honestly don't know.

I am still hoping and trusting that Tesla will eventually come around, want to make things right, and attempt to do so. Until recently I thought free Ludicrous upgrades would get the cars close enough that most people would be happy with that, but now it looks like the Ludicrous upgrades may fall well short of what they promised. So I'm back to saying I honestly don't know.
Hmmm. I say this because as I recall (for my Tesla, which is leased) I had a 90 day "happiness" guarantee that let me return the car, though I would have lost a portion of my initial deposit. Thus, if the HP/MP issue (or any issue, really) is some kind of really gigantic problem for a new owner then it seems to me Tesla has offered something of a reasonable exit strategy via the "happiness" guarantee. I feel less empathy for dissatisfied owners who choose to keep their vehicle in light of this option.

Hmmm. I say this because as I recall (for my Tesla, which is leased) I had a 90 day "happiness" guarantee that let me return the car, though I would have lost a portion of my initial deposit. Thus, if the HP/MP issue (or any issue, really) is some kind of really gigantic problem for a new owner then it seems to me Tesla has offered something of a reasonable exit strategy via the "happiness" guarantee. I feel less empathy for dissatisfied owners who choose to keep their vehicle in light of this option.
If I recall correctly it only applies to leased cars and only in the US.

@amped....
quote...(It's not at all safe to say that. You have no idea. Have you polled all P85D owners? Of course not. You are proffering nothing more than an opinion that is steeped in your position.). unquote

now you are being silly. Are you disputing that HP sells? Do you think I made this up? Did you even dish out the extra $$$$$ for a PD like I did?

As you can see from my above posts, I see both sides of this issue. While I can understand Tesla's rating only the motors, I also understand the consumer confusion that it caused as a result. However, I don't think it's fair to say that "many would not not have bought the P85D if it were advertised as 550 HP". How many is "many"? We really don't know how many people would not have bought this car. In fact, many who are complaining about the HP issue are also saying that they would not want to give up their cars.

People assumed it but it ended up being wrong. Assumed is the key word here. Tesla had a major part to play in that but the car delivers on the promised performance metrics. If it didn't then by all means raise the pitchforks.
Let me simplify:
"Some people (I would argue the majority) assumed that they could trust Tesla. Now a lot of those people don't."

Put in this context, it doesn't matter if you can or can't justify the numbers they put on the website. This is a fact that Tesla brought on themselves. I hope Tesla finds a way to address it going forward, otherwise I fear they won't last as a company.

- - - Updated - - -

I just laugh at the owners who are too proud to admit that they weren't smart enough to realize exactly what performance they were getting.
Hopefully constructive feedback: Counterproductive post which says more about you than the people you're mocking.

I honestly don't know.

So, what you're saying, is you don't know what it is you're looking for, what you're seeking to be satisfied with the car, but you want Tesla to fix whatever you don't know?

I think the best solution is for you to sell your car and buy a unicorn.

So, what you're saying, is you don't know what it is you're looking for, what you're seeking to be satisfied with the car, but you want Tesla to fix whatever you don't know?

I think the best solution is for you to sell your car and buy a unicorn.
Counterproductive, and condescending.

He's saying he doesn't have a good option in mind, but is hopeful that Tesla will come up with some options -- and he's keeping an open mind. That's a totally reasonable position, so I'm unclear on why you're mocking it.

Let me simplify:
"Some people (I would argue the majority) assumed that they could trust Tesla. Now a lot of those people don't."

Put in this context, it doesn't matter if you can or can't justify the numbers they put on the website. This is a fact that Tesla brought on themselves. I hope Tesla finds a way to address it going forward, otherwise I fear they won't last as a company.

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully constructive feedback: Counterproductive post which says more about you than the people you're mocking.

I hope so as well but the info is out there and affects a few thousand buyers at most. Actually it seems many could care less about the actual number. When they floor or their friends are shocked by the acceleration they are happy. Others need it to drive exactly like an ICE with the started 691 hp motor power. This isn't a universal 'everyone is upset with Telsa over the P85Ds performance' issue.

Counterproductive, and condescending.

He's saying he doesn't have a good option in mind, but is hopeful that Tesla will come up with some options -- and he's keeping an open mind. That's a totally reasonable position, so I'm unclear on why you're mocking it.
Someone is saying they're not satisfied, they don't know why they're not satisfied, and don't know what it'll take to satisfy them but demand to be satisfied. Now, how does that sound reasonable?