Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D (pre/post April) ride performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sorry, but you can't say that something is"not even remotely true " based on your 100% subjective opinion.

Sure I can and I did. Not only that, the difference is vast. It's not like a subtle difference that you need A/B testing back to back. They are VERY FAR APART. Not EVEN CLOSE.

What month was your P85D produced? Was it before the Upped the sway bar size in March? Did you see the earlier discussion about the sway bar sizes on Pre April P85Ds having had multiple changes?

Sure I can and I did. Not only that, the difference is vast. It's not like a subtle difference that you need A/B testing back to back. They are VERY FAR APART. Not EVEN CLOSE.

What month was your P85D produced? Was it before the Upped the sway bar size in March? Did you see the earlier discussion about the sway bar sizes on Pre April P85Ds having had multiple changes?

This is still entirely your sole opinion. There are many more people who will disagree with your assessment than agree with it.

Most P85D+ owners still call the car the best model Tesla has ever made.

Neither my opinion nor yours is "true" or "false".. that's what makes them OPINIONS. Just because you say something does not make it a fact.

Last edited:
This is still entirely your sole opinion. There are many more people who will disagree with your assessment than agree with it.

Most P85D+ owners still call the car the best model Tesla has ever made.

Neither my opinion nor yours is "true" or "false".. that's what makes them OPINIONS. Just because you say something does not make it a fact.

What month was your P85D produced?

What month was your P85D produced?

Why does that matter? Still wouldn't change my opinion nor obviously your opinion. Which is what you quoted. If my car was produced pre-March, my opinion still stands... and you can't say that it's "not even remotely true"... you could have said "In my experience with a March/April car with the changed sway bars, my experience is different".. but you didn't. You proclaimed that what I said is "not even remotely true". But guess what, it is clearly "remotely" true for all P85D+ made before March (according to your assertion which is yet unproven/unsupported).

If you hate your car so much, why have you kept it all this time?

Is the issue simply that October-MArch P85Ds were more like the P85+s but in March they upgraded the sway bar and so those March - April P85Ds are different? And then by May they killed it?

Yup. Seems kinda strange they'd 'upgrade' the sway bar one month before killing the entire program.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
Why does that matter? Still wouldn't change my opinion nor obviously your opinion. Which is what you quoted. If my car was produced pre-March, my opinion still stands... and you can't say that it's "not even remotely true"... you could have said "In my experience with a March/April car with the changed sway bars, my experience is different".. but you didn't. You proclaimed that what I said is "not even remotely true". But guess what, it is clearly "remotely" true for all P85D+ made before March (according to your assertion which is yet unproven/unsupported).

If you hate your car so much, why have you kept it all this time?

Yup. Seems kinda strange they'd 'upgrade' the sway bar one month before killing the entire program.

I did, and with my car compared to any P85+, I stand by that. They are note even remotely similar. You said many would disagree? So far, the only folks I've seen that have or have driven both agree with me and not with you.

What month was your P85D produced? Was it from October to February? I'm telling you, my P85D is so much stiffer than a P85+ that it slaps you in the face far beyond anything subjective.

If they were close requiring A/B testing, then your claim that my opinion is subjective might hold water, but they're not.

All p85ds made after April 30th have the standard suspension. It's too soft. Prior to April 30th the suspension is too stiff.

It's 'too stiff' for you. I just read through this entire thread (and the other referenced threads) and there are only a few people that think the P85D+ is a tad too harsh for their liking (i.e. opinion), but overwhelmingly, there is much love for the Pre-May P85Ds with the + suspension.

I keep saying "Pre-May" because it's not "Pre-April" for the P85D+ cutoff (April 30th).

like the P85D, to skitter off the road when hitting the slightest bumps going around corners.

Doesn't happen to me. And I drive the P85D pretty hard in the corners.

My car was built in December, 2014. Reading through this thread, it appears that your car, and only your car, has 28mm front sway bars (and who knows why that is). I just measured mine, and they're 26mm. Nobody else has reported (as far as I can find) 28mm front sway bars. So your experience (and hence your extreme opinion) are valid, but unique, compared to every other P85D+ owner.

So if you prefaced your opinions with "I lost the Performance + lottery and got 28mm front sway bars and nobody else did, therefore my car handles like no other".. then I would leave you alone. But you continue to profess that every pre-May P85D+ handles like your car, which, to quote "isn't even remotely true".

Not only that, the difference is vast. It's not like a subtle difference that you need A/B testing back to back. They are VERY FAR APART. Not EVEN CLOSE.

Yes, the difference from your single car to any other is vast (according to you). But so far, you're the only one to show that you have a different front 28mm sway bar. If there are others, please correct me.

I did, and with my car compared to any P85+, I stand by that. They are note even remotely similar. You said many would disagree? So far, the only folks I've seen that have or have driven both agree with me and not with you.

Again, your experience is unique and so far, only limited to you. I give you that in your experience, your car handles worse than any other P85D+ or P85+.

And if you hate your car so much, why haven't you sold it or traded it for a Post-April P85D, P90D or P100D? You've been complaining for years about how bad it is.

I

Yes, the difference from your single car to any other is vast (according to you). But so far, you're the only one to show that you have a different front 28mm sway bar. If there are others, please correct me.

Again, your experience is unique and so far, only limited to you. I give you that in your experience, your car handles worse than any other P85D+ or P85+.

First I go out and check for the "special" plus code on the struts, and now I gotta go check the diameter of the sway bars... geez you guys are killing me....

Lowered car by 1" to keep from destroying my front right cv joint. Turns out this has completely cured the bone jarring stiff ride. Letting out enough air to lower the car 1" has resulted in a noticeably softer ride.

Can you describe how you did that? And is it reversible?

I had an interesting experience last week. As you all know, like most of you, I'm a huge fan of the + suspension in both my P85+ and P85D(+). Well, due to a family emergency, my wife and I had to drive down to Baltimore late last Sunday night, and then turn around and then drive home (we got back at 4:30am). I couldn't drive it all, so for about two hours (and for the first time ever), my wife drove for a stint up the NJTP and I was the passenger.

Now as a driver, I love the handling of the + suspension, but I've never ridden in on as a passenger for such a long time. And the NJTP is a pretty smooth road, but YIKES it's a bumpy ride in the +. I never realized just how firm that suspension is as a non-driver. And this is with my 19" winter tires mounted and at 45psi. The 21" summer tires must be even worse.

Has anyone else spent a lot of time as a passenger in their car to see what it's like, compared to being the driver?

Can you describe how you did that? And is it reversible?

I had an interesting experience last week. As you all know, like most of you, I'm a huge fan of the + suspension in both my P85+ and P85D(+). Well, due to a family emergency, my wife and I had to drive down to Baltimore late last Sunday night, and then turn around and then drive home (we got back at 4:30am). I couldn't drive it all, so for about two hours (and for the first time ever), my wife drove for a stint up the NJTP and I was the passenger.

Now as a driver, I love the handling of the + suspension, but I've never ridden in on as a passenger for such a long time. And the NJTP is a pretty smooth road, but YIKES it's a bumpy ride in the +. I never realized just how firm that suspension is as a non-driver. And this is with my 19" winter tires mounted and at 45psi. The 21" summer tires must be even worse.

Has anyone else spent a lot of time as a passenger in their car to see what it's like, compared to being the driver?

3D printed lowering links