Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D Supercharging Data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems odd to me that Tesla started out so conservative with the 90 kWh taper - even compared to the 85 and then all of sudden decided to substantially increase the power delivery rate later into the charge.

FWIW, at 47% SOC the highest I've seen for my S85 is 86 kW.

Just wondering.... is it the car that specifies the taper OR is it the Supercharger that specifies the taper?

That's done by the car. Battery temperature and state of charge are the two main factors that are considered. The car will tell the Supercharger how much power it needs. The Supercharger might not be able to deliver enough when it's paired with another car but the car is always in charge of setting the power.

Are you currently the only 90 kWh owner who is experiencing the faster charge rate? I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this. 2 years ago this would have been a separate thread with at least 100 replies. Times have changed on TMC. We are far less technically savvy than we once were.

I have an December 2015 build P90DL Model X and have also noticed with recent software updates my Supercharging rate has significantly improved. At 50% SOC in April my charge rate was only about 64 kW (I made sure I was the only car on the charger pair and the charger was working fine - started initially delivering 114 kW at 13% SOC). Yesterday at 50% SOC my car was still charging at 110kW and the power taper was much more gentle than before. The car is currently running version 2.24.86 firmware.

Back in May, I pulled into a Supercharger and began to video tape my charging progress. Here is the data...

I graphed your data and compared it to the data I captured from supercharging my 90D in West Springfield, MA on November 13, 2015.
Temperature was 53 degrees F.

You are charging substantially faster than I was in November.

90D Supercharging Rates.png

Last edited:
@Blurry-Eyed - wow that is nearly a 2 fold increase!
Yes. It was a bit disappointing when I took the X in a road trip from Seattle to the Bay Area in March to have such slow Supercharging rates. I also have an S and have done the same trip and it was much faster to charge thr S compared to the X. But now, on a road trip I just took from Seattle to Vancouver B.C. It seemed like my X charged quicker than I remember my November 2012 build P85+ did on the same trip. It's more convenient to have the faster charge rate for those road trips!

Too bad I didn't do this on my S85 before switching to 90D refresh. Anyway here is my graph - note another 90D was charging at the same time at the SC when I arrived, but the car had left for the last data points. Charging felt faster that what I remember, from 59 miles to 195 miles in 29 minutes.
Edit: added a second SC at the same supercharger.

View media item 115526

Last edited:
I see the data :)

Wow that is really incredible. You are still pulling 100 kW at 60% SOC. It's almost hard for me to believe the cells are capable of withstanding those rates without lasting damage/degradation.

100 kW is about 1C charging rate. At 60% that isn't a crazy number at all, especially when you actively cool the battery. So far Tesla has been very careful and conservative with the Supercharging rate. It seems they now have enough real world evidence from all cars over the past years that they can safely increase the charging rate on the new cells. Frankly I was expecting the faster charge rates to come earlier.

I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this. 2 years ago this would have been a separate thread with at least 100 replies. Times have changed on TMC.

Wow I'm surprised too. Somehow, I just noticed this thread. This is significant news, surprised this thread has so few replies.

Do only the new 90 packs show this reduced charging taper or are the 75 packs faster as well?

It is unclear. If anyone with firmware >= 2.24 on an 85, 75, 60 wants to check their charge rates then we can know for sure. It makes sense to me that they would update the taper on all cars at the same time, but I'm not sure if this is the case