Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D Supercharging Data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't think so. My pack charged slower than 85 packs earlier. With software update it now charges way faster than 85 packs. Both in time and energy.

Can you tell me what the difference is? Some number so I can get an idea. For example, how much power do you get at 30% or at 50% or at 80%. I have a 2 year old 85 and it would be interesting to see how much of an improvement the 90 battery is.

I watched that video and it seems while it is a little faster, I wouldn't use the words 'way faster'. More an incremental improvement. It would also be interesting to test the 85 again after the new software. I think Bjorn took the old 85 data from some time ago. It could be possible that the new software also helps with the 86 battery.

Can you tell me what the difference is? Some number so I can get an idea. For example, how much power do you get at 30% or at 50% or at 80%. I have a 2 year old 85 and it would be interesting to see how much of an improvement the 90 battery is.

I`ve recorded charging power for about three years. Because of the introduction of % instead of km/miles to measure capacity, my old numbers are in range, not percent.
In other words it`s hard to be precise.

But what I can say is that my 2013 S85 had its highest supercharger-speed when it was new.
Back i 2013-beginning of 2014 it had about 95kW @45% (@about 166,5tkm range)
In 2015 it was down to about 85kW @45%.
Some probably because of sw updates, and some due to degradation/capacity loss/higher internal resistance.

With my new 2016 90D I previously got 75kW @45%
Now I get 105kW @45%.

I think Bjørn has compared 85 with new software to older software and found no increase like the 90 got. However - his numbers are not the same as mine. He seems to get a bit lower power than me at low SOC, and he got a dip that I didn`t see when I tested. But I`m going to visit several superchargers the next week so I`ll know more then :)

All in all, maybe not "way faster". But definitively faster :)

Last edited:
Reactions: David99
But what I can say is that my 2013 S85 had its highest supercharger-speed when it was new.
Back i 2013-beginning of 2014 it had about 95kW @45% (@about 166,5tkm range)
In 2015 it was down to about 85kW @45%.
Some probably because of sw updates, and some due to degradation/capacity loss/higher internal resistance.

With my new 2016 90D I previously got 75kW @45%
Now I get 105kW @45%.

Thanks for the info, that's very interesting. It matches my experience. Supercharging has definitely become slower for me as well. Mine is a 2014 s85 with 82k miles. If lucky I get 77 kW at 45%. That's it. I just finished a 4400 miles road trip and had plenty of opportunity to watch Supercharging. Several times it was slower than normal (not being paired). And those times it was normal speed it just isn't as fast as it used to be.

Back in May, after a leg of a trip I pulled into a Supercharger and began to video tape my charging progress.
Sadly that video is gone, however I did watch the video and transcribe the data into a spreadsheet for future analysis.
I was on firmware 2.18.77 at the time and the external air temperature was 63F.
The S was warm due to a 110+ mile highway run.
The Supercharger was in Auburn, MASS and of the 8 stalls I was the only one there...
Oh ya.... my S is called The Silver Surfer (Marvel Comics Character from the Fantastic Four).
The minutes show the elapsed minutes of the charge session.
About 1/4 of the way into the supercharge I heard the fans turn on which was something I had
not experienced before. This was my first supercharger charge btw.

Here is the data...
P90D-recharge-rates-at-SC.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ggnykk