TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

PA: Whitehall ( Allentown) Superchargers Updates

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by jrreno, May 2, 2014.

1. PhillyGal

PhillyGal Member

Sadly, all the electrical engineers in the world can't solve the problem of slow municipalities, red tape, private owners (cough, JC Penny) not giving right of way access and the fact that every state, city, county, etc. may have their own very different rules with regard to how to handle these charging spaces. With Whitehall specifically, it required zoning board approval on treating the zoning as parking rather than as a fueling station. They just didn't know how to classify it, same as 20 years ago when someone asked to place a cell phone tower. Of course, that zoning board meeting never voted, as there was a requirement for a property owner to be present and thus it was stalled for an entire month until they met again.

- - - Updated - - -

Have fun on the tour! I can't wait to get out there myself. Just two SC in your carry on would be fine. We aren't greedy :)

2. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

My wife and I attempted to donate a HPWC to my college, Pennsylvania College of Technology.
    Apparently they were too cool for it.
    They cited "installation" and "on going" costs.

Let's see.. they have ELECTRICAL as a major, so student labor, supervised by a professor = free.
    On going electrical costs of charging... 10 cars a month... $100? Compared to a monthly electrical usage, most likely in the 10s of thousands?

So, anyway, Bucknell has a HPWC. (not donated by me)

Maybe Lyco wants one (where my wife went).

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Bucknell is private university and they can do what they want.

Pennsylvania College of Technology is a public college that receives government support.
    If they're like other public colleges around the country, they deal with budgetary issues all the time and do many important and "extra" things through grants. Basically, unless you can completely fund that HPWC installation and ongoing costs through a grant, they aren't going to do it.

Installation would require cabling and conduit, and in terms of power cost, you're forgetting demand charges. Seems like they might add up to $72-73 per month if a full power charge were done as an additional load (at $4/kW), and then power costs would be on top of that.

4. djinn1

djinn1 Member

So… ItsNotAboutTheMoney is saying… it IS about the money. :cool:

I predict:
    Allentown completion in two weeks
    Harrisburg completion by July 1
    I will once again lose the Powerball lottery

5. SabrToothSqrl

They even have an automotive major and claim to be leading edge... I really think they didn't think this through...

This school teaches, all the skills required, to install a HPWC. just slap it on the side of a building... run power through said building. I don't think it would be that much. How many Tesla's are really in Williamsport, PA, and how many would charge here? I would have, but don't need to any more... her parents put in a NEMA 14-50 for us... saved me $750 in donations!

Construction & Design Technologies

Transportation & Natural Resources Technologies

Industrial, Computing & Engineering Technologies

Just seems like a shame, a decision as the result of some bean-counter who got let go from GM...

Similar to JC Penny's decision to NOT let people with $100k cars park in their always-empty parking lots... that ways my point...

6. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

I'd guess despite the availability of willing students and teachers, the local union wouldn't allow changes to the physical plant without their involvement ($$$$).

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Oh, never mind about those small costs of installation, and never mind the ongoing cost, and never mind that none to hardly any of the students will actually be able to use the proprietary charger, why oh why won't the college just make their staff and students install it, and pay for the power that any visiting Tesla owner might want. It's not like public college systems are having to cut programs, cut budgets, and fire staff or anything.

Bye.

8. PhillyGal

PhillyGal Member

We're not so lucky. My in-laws near Wilkes-Barre have no garage or driveway so nowhere to install the 14-50. That is why this darn SC location is so important to us. Round trip just isn't possible on a single charge.

9. Half Dollar Bill

Half Dollar Bill Traveller, teacher, poet, accountant, innkeeper

Just hit me, your in-laws need this:
    Tesla Outdoor Curbside Charging Station almost ready for Model S

artsci has some neat ideas.

10. Gmoney12

Gmoney12 Member

Harrisburg

There is a HPC at the PA Antique Auto Museum near my house (I've never used it but they had the tesla test drive event there).

I will ask my local government buddies if they know where the SC in Harrisburg is going to be installed.

11. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

I predict that at least one of your predictions is a sure one ( lose the Powerball ).

12. 55 Sux

55 Sux Member

It's going to be ready soon!
    Let's try to get as many Tesla fans and owners together Sunday Jan 24th at noon at Red Robin.
    We should probably also post in my.teslamotors.com forums and ask Devon Pa and Springfield NJ Tesla if they want to bring along a car or two.
    Who's in?

13. PhillyGal

PhillyGal Member

That's really cool! Of course, I'd rather just use the SC that was supposed to be completed before we even got our car 13 months ago, since we only visit 6-10/year.

14. Syd

Syd Member

Sun 24th would probably work for me, but are you jinxing the charger being done?

15. Gmoney12

Gmoney12 Member

SC in Harrisburg

installing a chargining station in the shopping center behind Sheetz on Union Deposit Rd. BOOM

16. jrreno

jrreno Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

A Tesla Supercharger or some other charging station?

17. Gmoney12

Gmoney12 Member

SC in the shopping center there (Weis Markets, Chuck E Cheese, etc)

18. SabrToothSqrl

Lol, that's one way to keep usage in check. I'm not going to the ghetto to charge my car.

19. mmccord

mmccord Member

Won't stop me from charging there. I think my only other option is driving 40mph from Allentown to Somerset, or the chademo of course

20. Depeche Mode

Depeche Mode Member

Speaking of «ghetto» SC place is Lumberton... very scary place...

Saw people looking like drug dealer driving/walking during my SuperCharge... was happy when my SC was done...