Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A better plan. Tesla hires someone to manage SuperCharger manufacture, distribution, and site acquisition management who can get the job done on time. Take a few electrical engineers, put them in a room to design a unitized SC< Set aside an unused space in Fremont and create an assembly line to assemble the transformer/distribution room on permanent mounts ready to be set on a concrete pad and connected as a single unit (or double unit) to a 4 station sub unit that can expand to two 4 unit subs that again only need to be set on a concrete strip foundation. All electrical could be contained in steel conduit and bolted together on site with minimal electrical connections ready to fasten. Ship it on a few long semi-trailers. And pursue agreements with several of the truckstop chains for sites. Easily do another 500 x 4 chargers in a year.

Sadly, all the electrical engineers in the world can't solve the problem of slow municipalities, red tape, private owners (cough, JC Penny) not giving right of way access and the fact that every state, city, county, etc. may have their own very different rules with regard to how to handle these charging spaces. With Whitehall specifically, it required zoning board approval on treating the zoning as parking rather than as a fueling station. They just didn't know how to classify it, same as 20 years ago when someone asked to place a cell phone tower. Of course, that zoning board meeting never voted, as there was a requirement for a property owner to be present and thus it was stalled for an entire month until they met again.

- - - Updated - - -

SabrTooth. I am desperate for a Harrisburg SC, as I live in upstate NY and often travel south. And, co-incidentally, I am presently in SF, CA. And I will be touring through the TESLA plant in Fremont on Wednesday afternoon. I'd be happy to grab a couple of superchargers, shove them into my carry-on bag (I don't ever check bags), and bring them back East. I can then drive them down to Harrisburg (I will be driving there Sunday evening), and would be happy to drop them off where ever you would like in H'burg. You will have to find the electricians for the install. Sounds like a plan, right? :smile:

Have fun on the tour! I can't wait to get out there myself. Just two SC in your carry on would be fine. We aren't greedy :)

My wife and I attempted to donate a HPWC to my college, Pennsylvania College of Technology.
Apparently they were too cool for it.
They cited "installation" and "on going" costs.

Let's see.. they have ELECTRICAL as a major, so student labor, supervised by a professor = free.
On going electrical costs of charging... 10 cars a month... $100? Compared to a monthly electrical usage, most likely in the 10s of thousands?

So, anyway, Bucknell has a HPWC. (not donated by me)

Maybe Lyco wants one (where my wife went).

My wife and I attempted to donate a HPWC to my college, Pennsylvania College of Technology.
Apparently they were too cool for it.
They cited "installation" and "on going" costs.

Let's see.. they have ELECTRICAL as a major, so student labor, supervised by a professor = free.
On going electrical costs of charging... 10 cars a month... $100? Compared to a monthly electrical usage, most likely in the 10s of thousands?

So, anyway, Bucknell has a HPWC. (not donated by me)

Maybe Lyco wants one (where my wife went).

Bucknell is private university and they can do what they want.

Pennsylvania College of Technology is a public college that receives government support.
If they're like other public colleges around the country, they deal with budgetary issues all the time and do many important and "extra" things through grants. Basically, unless you can completely fund that HPWC installation and ongoing costs through a grant, they aren't going to do it.

Installation would require cabling and conduit, and in terms of power cost, you're forgetting demand charges. Seems like they might add up to $72-73 per month if a full power charge were done as an additional load (at $4/kW), and then power costs would be on top of that.

Bucknell is private university and they can do what they want.

Pennsylvania College of Technology is a public college that receives government support.
If they're like other public colleges around the country, they deal with budgetary issues all the time and do many important and "extra" things through grants. Basically, unless you can completely fund that HPWC installation and ongoing costs through a grant, they aren't going to do it.

Installation would require cabling and conduit, and in terms of power cost, you're forgetting demand charges. Seems like they might add up to $72-73 per month if a full power charge were done as an additional load (at $4/kW), and then power costs would be on top of that.

They even have an automotive major and claim to be leading edge... I really think they didn't think this through...

This school teaches, all the skills required, to install a HPWC. just slap it on the side of a building... run power through said building. I don't think it would be that much. How many Tesla's are really in Williamsport, PA, and how many would charge here? I would have, but don't need to any more... her parents put in a NEMA 14-50 for us... saved me $750 in donations!

Construction & Design Technologies

Transportation & Natural Resources Technologies

Industrial, Computing & Engineering Technologies

Just seems like a shame, a decision as the result of some bean-counter who got let go from GM...

Similar to JC Penny's decision to NOT let people with $100k cars park in their always-empty parking lots... that ways my point...

They even have an automotive major and claim to be leading edge... I really think they didn't think this through...

This school teaches, all the skills required, to install a HPWC. just slap it on the side of a building... run power through said building. I don't think it would be that much. How many Tesla's are really in Williamsport, PA, and how many would charge here? I would have, but don't need to any more... her parents put in a NEMA 14-50 for us... saved me $750 in donations!

I'd guess despite the availability of willing students and teachers, the local union wouldn't allow changes to the physical plant without their involvement ($$$$).

Construction & Design Technologies

Transportation & Natural Resources Technologies

Industrial, Computing & Engineering Technologies

Just seems like a shame, a decision as the result of some bean-counter who got let go from GM...

Similar to JC Penny's decision to NOT let people with $100k cars park in their always-empty parking lots... that ways my point...

Oh, never mind about those small costs of installation, and never mind the ongoing cost, and never mind that none to hardly any of the students will actually be able to use the proprietary charger, why oh why won't the college just make their staff and students install it, and pay for the power that any visiting Tesla owner might want. It's not like public college systems are having to cut programs, cut budgets, and fire staff or anything.

Bye.

How many Tesla's are really in Williamsport, PA, and how many would charge here? I would have, but don't need to any more... her parents put in a NEMA 14-50 for us... saved me $750 in donations!

We're not so lucky. My in-laws near Wilkes-Barre have no garage or driveway so nowhere to install the 14-50. That is why this darn SC location is so important to us. Round trip just isn't possible on a single charge.

It's going to be ready soon!
Let's try to get as many Tesla fans and owners together Sunday Jan 24th at noon at Red Robin.
We should probably also post in my.teslamotors.com forums and ask Devon Pa and Springfield NJ Tesla if they want to bring along a car or two.
Who's in?