Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pacific Northwest Owners (Seattle, Portland, or towns/cities in the region)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, all. I feel like an old-timer now. Our S is now over 4 years old, and our 3 is just a month shy of its first birthday.

Love seeing new Teslas pop up in my area. A teacher at my sons' old elementary school now has a 3. There's another new 3 somewhere near my neighborhood, and an X I see pretty regularly, too. My wife's parking garage at work has several Teslas. I think ours might be the second oldest there, but we moved up when someone else replaced their S with an X.

@RickW - No worries about foot fatigue. You'll adjust to regenerative braking very quickly. We were on vacation last week with an ICE rental and the lack of regenerative braking actually bothered me much more. I've traveled quite a bit this year, and I noticed that some ICE cars are really setup to freewheel more than others, and I didn't like it. There was so much more need to move my foot and tap the brakes rather than just let off the pedal a bit and let the car do the rest.

Interesting. Thanks. I would have thought that it would be more difficult to keep your foot down than to let off the accelerator. I'm test driving again this weekend, so I'll get a better idea. Thanks for responding.

The leather defect might not be something ranger service can handle, but you do qualify for ranger service. Their coming out to do the Takata airbag replacement and fix a key fob that went bad next week. It's great to have someone come to the house and repair the car in your garage.

If you need a charge while dealing with the electrician there is a supercharger in Kennewick.

When I was in college in California I drove a mountainous backroad about once or twice a month and got to know every curve. I knew how to push every curve to the limit. I got a chance to drive it with my S in 2016 and it was 10 times better than I remembered. I went through about 20 miles of the most mountainous road without touching the brake pedal once.

Once you're used to regen braking curvy roads are a great drive and IMO easier than in an ICE.

I find I don't get foot fatigue when adjusting the throttle back and forth with regen braking. The only time I get foot fatigue is in stop and go traffic, but autopilot solves that problem.

Thank you for the reply. I'm looking forward to trying this out again on another test drive.

@postersw are you saying a LR still can't do Chinook Pass due to the elevation impact on range? Looks to be about 170 miles between Issaquah and Ellensburg via the 410 route. Lots of climbing, but also lots of descending. SC's in Yakima and Enumclaw would be wonderful, but those "coming soon" markers have been there for quite a while. Not holding my breath.

The first thing to keep in mind that I didn't know before buying a Tesla was, you only really should plan on having 75% or so of your battery. Anything below 15% is a little concerning and you can almost never get to 100% charge in a practical amount of time. So it's best to treat all range as 70% of range (10% - 80% is ideal). Then you have to account for the fact that 70mph+ interstate travel you should knock off another 10% of range.

There have been a bunch of instances where I could have made it in an SR+ but it would have been a lot slower and less convenient. E.g. went to Mumford and Sons as well this last weekend. And then Cle Elum was blacked out. I had enough charge to make it all the way to Issaquah but I would have needed to turn around and go back to Ellensburg or else stop for a destination charge at Suncadia for an hour or two. Neither option would have been great since we were in a hurry to meet friends we hadn't seen for a long time.

Or the time we went camping up in the Olympic peninsula near Aberdeen. We could juuuust barely make it to Quinault and back down to Aberdeen from Seattle without stopping first at Aberdeen. Which would have been ok... but we were leaving for a backpacking trip and that would have been awkward to stop at 7 in the morning for 30 minutes when we didn't want to.

Or the time we didn't stop in Kennewick coming back from Walla Walla and left without a 100% full charge (the dest charger wasn't at Whitman and the Chargepoints are kind of slow and my mom's BnB didn't have a destination charger yet). We should have arrived with 30-40 miles but a headwind and cold night making us run the heater put us in at 5 miles of range. Stopping in Kennewick would have been possible but also would have added about 40 minutes to our trip.

LR gives you far more opportunities to choose when and where you want to stop. An SR+ will box you in a little bit on charging when you need to charge instead of when you want to charge. I was planning on going SR originally and a lot of the routes I drew out on google maps simply aren't possible with "Range is 240 miles, therefore anything within 240 miles is within range."

I've just barely made it to so many places in an LR that I can't imagine getting by comfortably in an SR+.

The first thing to keep in mind that I didn't know before buying a Tesla was, you only really should plan on having 75% or so of your battery. Anything below 15% is a little concerning and you can almost never get to 100% charge in a practical amount of time. So it's best to treat all range as 70% of range (10% - 80% is ideal). Then you have to account for the fact that 70mph+ interstate travel you should knock off another 10% of range.

There have been a bunch of instances where I could have made it in an SR+ but it would have been a lot slower and less convenient. E.g. went to Mumford and Sons as well this last weekend. And then Cle Elum was blacked out. I had enough charge to make it all the way to Issaquah but I would have needed to turn around and go back to Ellensburg or else stop for a destination charge at Suncadia for an hour or two. Neither option would have been great since we were in a hurry to meet friends we hadn't seen for a long time.

Or the time we went camping up in the Olympic peninsula near Aberdeen. We could juuuust barely make it to Quinault and back down to Aberdeen from Seattle without stopping first at Aberdeen. Which would have been ok... but we were leaving for a backpacking trip and that would have been awkward to stop at 7 in the morning for 30 minutes when we didn't want to.

Or the time we didn't stop in Kennewick coming back from Walla Walla and left without a 100% full charge (the dest charger wasn't at Whitman and the Chargepoints are kind of slow and my mom's BnB didn't have a destination charger yet). We should have arrived with 30-40 miles but a headwind and cold night making us run the heater put us in at 5 miles of range. Stopping in Kennewick would have been possible but also would have added about 40 minutes to our trip.

LR gives you far more opportunities to choose when and where you want to stop. An SR+ will box you in a little bit on charging when you need to charge instead of when you want to charge. I was planning on going SR originally and a lot of the routes I drew out on google maps simply aren't possible with "Range is 240 miles, therefore anything within 240 miles is within range."

I've just barely made it to so many places in an LR that I can't imagine getting by comfortably in an SR+.

Wish they still had the LR RWD and had it prices between SR+ and AWD, could have squeezed that into the budget.... but AWD was way too much for me.

ABetterRoutePlanner put my mind at ease and I think I’ll be ok except for maybe Dec/Jan/Early Feb, but I usually avoid road travel then since the pass can be hit or miss. We’ll see if I’ve screwed myself though as time goes. Of course, if I can make it two or three years and Tesla gets their act together and opens a couple more superchargers (Yakima, Spokane, Boardman, OR...) and that fills in a lot of the stress points.

(I also don’t head out to remote areas, national parks, etc nearly as much as into larger towns and cities)

Reactions: lnsh
Since we're trading in our Model S we already have a NEMA 1450 setup in the garage, but I am looking at Weathertech style trunk and floor mats and perhaps a center console wrap.

I got a "Brushed Black" wrap from Abstract Ocean... I haven't put it on yet, but I was surprised by how dark it is in person compared to the pictures online. It almost looks as dark as the standard black finish on the console, but with some bushed looks to it. Maybe when I finally install it then it will look a little more lighter... but right now I'm actually kind of happy, I like the dark black contrast with the white seats and I actually thought the Abstract Ocean Brushed Black might not match white seats very well. I think I'll be pleased... and I'll post pictures once I get it on, maybe this weekend.

I got a "Brushed Black" wrap from Abstract Ocean... I haven't put it on yet, but I was surprised by how dark it is in person compared to the pictures online. It almost looks as dark as the standard black finish on the console, but with some bushed looks to it. Maybe when I finally install it then it will look a little more lighter... but right now I'm actually kind of happy, I like the dark black contrast with the white seats and I actually thought the Abstract Ocean Brushed Black might not match white seats very well. I think I'll be pleased... and I'll post pictures once I get it on, maybe this weekend.
I'd be real interested in seeing how your Brushed Black console looks when you're done. I was thinking along the same lines, either brushed or flat black would go well with the white seats.

Good morning from Beaverton, OR.

Got our 2019 MS1KD last week & luvin' it. MSM+Cream Tan.

Attachments

• 20190811_194440.jpg
    20190811_194440.jpg
    501.7 KB · Views: 61
I used to live just a little west and north of you. I was within walking distance of Soos Creek Park. I looked it up last week and the house I bought new in the 1980s for $88K is now worth $400K.

I hear ya. I bought our first house in East Hill Kent for $105 and it too is selling now corn something like $400k today. Actually, our current house has a Renton address, but it more like Covington/Maple Valley. The 98058 zip code has a “dog leg” south of Lake Young’s to 240th, and we are right at the edge, zone RA5! It’s considered unincorporated King county, so the sale tax is only 8.6% and no RTA fees on the registration. My M3 registration and new plates cost less that $140! :D

I had a friend who lived near you. She would tell people she lived in Maple Valley for simplicity, but I think her address was officially a Renton address.

I was just inside the RTA and it had just been voted in when we moved. My SO worked on the West Hill and we lived on the East Hill. The day it took her an hour to cross the valley she declared we needed to move. It was the right thing for us, life is much better for us here.