Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pacific Northwest Owners (Seattle, Portland, or towns/cities in the region)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The map has been showing a Roseburg supercharger coming for the last year. Hopefully soon.
Yea there seems to be many superchargers in the PNW that have been "Coming Soon" for quite a while. The downtown Seattle one finally finished so maybe that bodes well for the others.

As an aside to all my WA state folks: I've verified that the $45k cap for the EV tax exemption DOES NOT apply to the Doc/Dest fees

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
The downtown Seattle one is inside a parking garage where you have to pay for parking AND pay for Supercharging, according to the stories from people who have been there and shared about it on the plugshare.com site. Not really like the majority of the Superchargers where you can park for free while charging.

The downtown Seattle one is inside a parking garage where you have to pay for parking AND pay for Supercharging, according to the stories from people who have been there and shared about it on the plugshare.com site. Not really like the majority of the Superchargers where you can park for free while charging.
Agreed- far from ideal. I won't be using it even though it's located 3 blocks away since I'll have charging in my parking garage

Hello Everyone,

I posted earlier on another thread. Just wondering for those of you living in the Sea-Tac area if you could answer a few questions:

1. If you've held your car for over a year, was there any under side damage?
2. Where is the best place to get a good ceramic tint (around 25-35) with clear front? I need someone who has worked with the Model 3.
3. Who was reasonably priced for an in-home installation of the Tesla Charger?
4. How did you decide on the Model 3? I am looking at an Acura TLX vs. Model 3.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Everyone,

I posted earlier on another thread. Just wondering for those of you living in the Sea-Tac area if you could answer a few questions:

2. Where is the best place to get a good ceramic tint (around 25-35) with clear front? I need someone who has worked with the Model 3.

Thanks in advance.

@RickW - I will take a stab at #2 and #4...

#2 - Advanced Tint, Renton Highlands. They do a lot of high end car tinting. I had three cars done there, but not yet my model 3. They do PFF as well as other stuff.

#4 - Uniqueness, green, faster than anything in this price range, high tech (feels like I’m in a spaceship of the future), low CG makes for food handling, tired of standing out in the Seattle rains pumping gas, economical - like $3 a fill up, vs $60 for my Subaru, etc.

Has anyone taken their M3s out to the peninsula? I know there is a SC in Port Angeles if you're looking to do Hurricane Ridge in the Olympics but it looks a little dicey if you want to go out to the Washington coast. Trips up to the North Cascades are also a definite use-case for me and I'm trying to gauge how much difference a SR+ vs LR would make a difference here.
If you are planning to do anything more than driving around Seattle, you will never regret the extra $10K for the LR, especially when driving into the mountains. In Washington superchargers can be few and far between, especially if you want to visit the North Cascades (still no way to do the North Cascades highway loop through Pateros and Chelan), or maybe go wine tasting in the Yakama valley (no superchargers between Ellensburg and Richland) or go over Chinook Pass.

Reactions: im.thatoneguy
(still no way to do the North Cascades highway loop through Pateros and Chelan), or maybe go wine tasting in the Yakama valley (no superchargers between Ellensburg and Richland) or go over Chinook Pass.

@postersw are you saying a LR still can't do Chinook Pass due to the elevation impact on range? Looks to be about 170 miles between Issaquah and Ellensburg via the 410 route. Lots of climbing, but also lots of descending. SC's in Yakima and Enumclaw would be wonderful, but those "coming soon" markers have been there for quite a while. Not holding my breath.

3. Installation was a little less than $600 to connect an outdoor HPWC at a business. Around $400 to install an outdoor Nema 14-50 at a business, which I was using while waiting for the HPWC to arrive from Tesla :D You can probably find someone more reasonably priced than this, the electrician I work with isn't cheap but they do an incredible job every time.

4. Promised myself my next car would be electric because I'm a tree hugger, had wanted a Tesla since I test drove an S back in 2015, but almost didn't get the M3 due to the stigma of the big chrome T (lol). Test drove different cars but the Leaf and Bolt didn't have the range I was looking for. Decided to wait til the extended range Leaf was released (or til Tesla got their delivery ish together), but then magically bought and took delivery of my M3 on the same day - sans waitlist or reservation :p From having joined this forum, I think that's a rare experience, though...

I can promise you the M3 is funner and more satisfying than the TLX, but you must be mentally prepared to cut Tesla a lot of slack when it comes to customer service and warranty fixes. Some folks have flawless experiences with Tesla Service Centers, others don't, so be prepared for the worst case scenario otherwise you're going to have a bad time ;)

Lastly... LR AWD is awesome, especially if you like hiking and road trips. I also drove it on hills in Seattle during Snowmageddon 2019 and right up to the water on sandy beaches in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness :D

Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advance.

I don't have a Model 3 and live near Portland, I have had a Model S since 2016 but I can address #4 a bit. Because electricity in Washington is cheap and gas is among the most expensive in the country, you will save a ton of money on fuel. I calculated in 3 years of ownership I pay about $12 a month in fuel for the car. In cost per mile my car costs 1/4 what my partner's Subaru Impreza costs and it's twice the size. The price of gas has gone up since I did that calculation, it's closer to 1/5 the cost now. The Model 3 is also more efficient than my car.

Every winter when I see people huddled at the gas station pumping gas I am so happy I don't have to worry about that anymore. At least once a month my SO has a panic when she needs to get somewhere and realizes her car is almost out of gas. That never happens to me. I have forgotten to plug in the car when I got home a few times (less than 10 in 3 years), but there was always enough charge left to get where I needed to go and get back again.

Teslas are also fun cars to drive. With the instant torque at 0 RPM and the silent acceleration it's a lot of fun to launch. A couple of months ago I had to get in front of someone right after a light so I did a half throttle launch just as the light turned green. As I left the intersection I looked down and I was already doing 40. I have the "slow" Model S, not Performance.

I've gotten to a point where it's annoying to just move my SO's car in and out of the garage if I'm working out there. Electric drive is so vastly superior to ICE.

There are two drawbacks to EVs: they tend to have less range than most ICE (though the LR Teslas are at the low end of ICE ranges), and it takes a bit longer to "fuel" on the road. But in the way they drive, day to day fueling, cargo space, economy, convenience, quietness, there is no comparison. The Model 3 is dinky on cargo space compared to a Model S, but compared to other sedans about the same size it's vastly better.

As for fueling on the road, I actually prefer having to charge the car over gas. If I can fuel quickly I'm one of those people who tend to spend a minimum amount of time stopped and keep going. But taking a roadtrip in a Tesla, I'm forced to take some time and walk around at supercharger stops or I can catch a nap and at the end of a long day driving I spent a bit more time in transit, but I'm not feeling the aches and pains I did driving several hundred miles without any significant break. Having to walk around a bit is much better on your body when traveling.

If you are planning to do anything more than driving around Seattle, you will never regret the extra $10K for the LR, especially when driving into the mountains. In Washington superchargers can be few and far between, especially if you want to visit the North Cascades (still no way to do the North Cascades highway loop through Pateros and Chelan), or maybe go wine tasting in the Yakama valley (no superchargers between Ellensburg and Richland) or go over Chinook Pass.

There are some routes that are superchargers deserts. SE Oregon is one of the worst. But if you are planning on stopping for any length of time on a trip keep destination chargers in mind. A lot of wineries have put them in just for Tesla wine tourists. There are a lot of hotels around with them too if you're staying overnight. Some restaurants are putting them in too. On top of destination chargers, there are also chargers around you can find on Plugshare.com.

The range of the car is better than you might think. I go to Parkdale, OR to get apples every fall. We did a PDX Tesla trip of it last year. Some people may have gone to the Dalles supercharger to top off on the way back, but nobody seemed concerned about it. The first time I made the trip I was a bit concerned, but I still had around 100 miles range when I got home. Parkdale is over 1700 feet elevation and the car did eat a lot of electrons climbing the mountain, but the leg back down had crazy great Wh/Mi numbers. I've made other day trips that far or further on one charge.

Where are all of the WA/Seattle and Idaho owners???
I'm here (Boise). Just found this thread. I think it just recently got moved into the Northwest regional section.

There are some routes that are superchargers deserts. SE Oregon is one of the worst.
Yeah--Bermuda Triangle of lack of fast charging. I can't think of three and a half hours worth of stuff to do in Burns, OR to get over to Bend. My wife and I are going down to Reno for a concert in October, and we're going to take our gas car instead of the Tesla because my wife doesn't have the patience for over an hour of charging in McDermitt just to get to Winnemucca.

I wonder if transportation fees would count towards that cap or not. Say we found a car in SoCal that was under the $45k limit, but it was going to be $1,000 to transport it up here.... would that count as part of the vehicle price, or on the side of the doc/destination fee and not count...

I wonder if transportation fees would count towards that cap or not. Say we found a car in SoCal that was under the $45k limit, but it was going to be $1,000 to transport it up here.... would that count as part of the vehicle price, or on the side of the doc/destination fee and not count...
That's a good question but I assume that would be akin to how destination fees are treated. I could be wrong...

Portland has an active Tesla group with a Facebook and Google Groups page and we have events throughout the year. I've thought it would be good to combine some events with Tesla owners further north.
PDX Tesla

It's been years since I've connected with the Portland group, but it was fun back in the day.

There is a "PNW" Tesla Owner's group that covers WA, OR and ID. Yeah, it technically overlaps the Portland group, but they know each other and are cool with it. If anybody is interested in the PNW owner's group (which don't compete with a forum like TMC; they are more about IRL events) they are HERE.

Oh, and I'm from Redmond WA. We own a 3 and an X. We've been owners since 2009; our past cars are detailed here: Which Tesla should you buy? A decade-long comparo: Roadster, S, X, 3.

Reactions: jebinc
It's been years since I've connected with the Portland group, but it was fun back in the day.

There is a "PNW" Tesla Owner's group that covers WA, OR and ID. Yeah, it technically overlaps the Portland group, but they know each other and are cool with it. If anybody is interested in the PNW owner's group (which don't compete with a forum like TMC; they are more about IRL events) they are HERE.

Oh, and I'm from Redmond WA. We own a 3 and an X. We've been owners since 2009; our past cars are detailed here: Which Tesla should you buy? A decade-long comparo: Roadster, S, X, 3.

Welcome to our Happy thread! :)