Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be a good idea for him to stop posting in here altogether or talking about it elsewhere on the internet further.

It's time to seek professional legal advice and plot a strategy for resolving this matter.

It's gone on for long enough, and is clearly beyond the average owner's capabilities of resolving it for themselves.

If his legal counsel advises him to drop the car off, then that's what he should do.

My problem was not diagnosed as a generic power problem.. as a few people have tried to say this must be another issue,

The reply from Tesla was the launch mode counter had been triggered thus lowering my cars power which is the reply I posted from Tesla earlier in the thread...

basically uncovering this whole mess

and though I haven't gotten any further reply from Tesla yet recent data suggest the P100D also IS effected by this unlike my original reply suggests.
I didn't make it quite clear, but I mean when you first brought up your issue with Tesla, it was probably treated as a generic power problem, not that it was the final diagnosis. Basically they did not approach it initially immediately knowing it was the counter (that seems to be impossible given service centers didn't appear to be informed about this until recently). I know you got that notice later on, but much later (and after it got filtered through PR and legal),

Last edited:
It all makes sense now ... P85DEE is a lawyer looking for work :cool:

Have you retained legal counsel at this point? Or are you comfortable saying?
This matter is beyond the capabilities of the average customer to resolve...

And dare I say, I doubt that you get much further without legal representation.
They may or may not call you back. And even if they do, any further correspondence that you have with them, should come in writing...

It is time to allow legal representation step in. Indeed past time for that IMO...
If you haven't already, then it's time to retain legal counsel to resolve this matter. This is a matter for a legal professional to handle.

• Funny
Reactions: NSX1992 and sorka
It all makes sense now ... P85DEE is a lawyer looking for work :cool:

It possibly doesn't, or shouldn't, take a a lawyer to see that this matter has progressed beyond what the average well meaning soul in here can provide him with in terms of the best advice for resolving his situation.

I urge him again, if he has not done so already, to seek legal help for this matter immediately.

• Disagree
Reactions: Zhelko Dimic
@Tech_Guy I think you probably are at that point now where asking for some professional legal advice has been reached.

You have tried to be cooperative, however you are not receiving calls, let alone any suggestion on how they will put your car back to as sold condition.

Clearly Tesla have been seeking legal advice on this (hence the new disclaimers), so for you to go down this route too is completely understandable IMHO.

It might be a simple matter of a letter from a lawyer gets things moving towards resolution, rather than Tesla trying to drag their feet hoping this goes away.

Blissful.....finally. I just looked and realized the post counter is skipping post #s. Gee I wonder why :rolleyes:

They say that ignorance is bliss. So you must be in paradise.

I'm not a lawyer. But any rational thinking person can see that Tech_guy is at a point where professional legal assistance is his best bet if he has not sought it already.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I'd respectfully suggest that you drop the car off at a Service Center and cite power loss as the issue and see what they officially write into the Service Invoice when they return your car. I assume it would be easily for them to replicate the issue. Maybe they good will you a battery. Maybe they put what they verbally told you in writing and close it out as unremedied. Either way it would be interesting to see it in writing.

Thanks and good luck
I agree and point out that whatever you (tech guy) do next and perhaps to remediate the wild speculation here, it would be very helpful to have your written concern and their written reply documented in a written service invoice as the response in a service invoice may go through a process that email and phone exchanges do not.

And approximately how many times have you used launch mode?

Last edited:
Reactions: Matias
Sandpiper,
I'm a big fan of perspective and I know I am finicky about performance cars. My solution was to exchange performance for range and see if I still felt the practice was wrong.

Tesla advertises 300 miles rated
I drive correctly and achieve that 300 miles rated
My daily drive loop has me using almost all of that 300 miles rated so it was a good thing that I bought the correct Tesla MS version
One day I magically click over the number of allowable times to use my 300 mile range
I now have, as a function of Tesla's software changing the available number, 270 miles of range

Tesla learned that, if you used the full 300 miles of range too much, there would be hard failures that would damage Tesla's reputation and cost a lot of money on the warranty side. The solution was to reach out, without permission or notification, and take away some range for those that use the full advertised 300 miles.

Was this ok?

LCC,

So, I don't even really disagree with the folks who are frustrated. I'm just trying to say that people should be careful about pulling out the pitchforks. Elon's companies have been on the brink before without anybody outside of the inner circle realizing it. When his next biography gets written I wouldn't be surprised to see a whole section on 2016/2017 and how the company(s) just about blew up. We have to remember that they've still got everything out on the table. And a few bad cards could mean the end.

To that end, while some grousing is still okay and even positive, we need to keep a bit of perspective. If somebody presented the current P90D to us 5 years ago, with the price that we paid, warts and all, there are damn few current owners who wouldn't be lined up with cheques. I certainly would be.

Are they guilty of overselling? Yes - a bit. But not much more than other automakers.
Did the screw some things up? Eg, did they realize after the fact that they drive train can't take the full L load? Likely.
Do they communicate well? No. Are they getting better? Yes, I think so.

I'm not saying that they should get a free pass on everything. I'm saying we need to keep it in perspective. And to compare them to Nissan/Ford/whomever isn't a great idea. Nissan/Ford are like 9 to 5 employees. Telsa is a work hog, doing long hours, taking on way too much, and producing generally stellar results but missing some a few things here and there. If the two of them show up late one morning, no competent supervisor is going to treat them the same way.

Sandpiper,

"Do they communicate well? No. Are they getting better? Yes, I think so."

I think this is where we are parting company.
Tesla is doing some daring, smart, difficult and very good things. Tesla also has a problem with the way it handles customers (IMO). The question our back and forth raises for me is do we accept the bad behavior for the benefit of the good? I do not know the answer to that question. What I do know is that the following list is not poor communication, it is intentional behavior.

Sought to trade in my BMW at the end of 2012 (CarMax or AutoNation days - I forget which) knowing that if I waited until I got my P85 in early 2013 my BMW would have rolled over another year's depreciation in a matter of a month or two. I delivered the BMW to the SC in December and collected my P85 early the next year. Tesla was trying to sort their initial "am I a dealer?" issues so they refused to give me the Florida Sales Tax credit on the BMW. To be clear, Tesla had a Florida Auto Dealers License else they would not have been able to sell cars in Florida. They were just unsure about how they were going to proceed and there was nothing in it for them to deny the sales tax credit. Their answer was to take the money out of the customer's pocket. To be clear, as a dealer in Florida, Tesla has a duty to collect sales tax and Florida law provides for a sales tax offset on trades. The decrease in tax to me comes from the state so absolutely no money was coming out of Tesla's pockets. Had the delivery of my trade cooincied with taking delivery of the P85, I could have refused delivery. It did not and I did not. I raised cain on this issue for months and finally got a warranty extension consideration (which turned out useless as, when I sold the car a few months later to get a P85+, Tesla forgot all about it and did not transfer the extension to the new owner).

The PD is announced. I place an order and, knowing P85+ values will plummet once the PDs start shipping, I ask to deliver my P85+ trade early. Tesla is starting its CPO program at this time to capture the flood of MS trades and better control the secondary market. Tesla offers a low number. I sought out other wholesale numbers and found one of Tesla's own wholesale partners who offered me $9K more. I went back to Tesla and asked them to do a courtesy trade of my car through to this wholesaler (again, a party they regularly do business with on ICE trades). They refuse saying the only way for me to get the Fl Sales Tax credit is to take their $9K lower number. Again, for clarity, if you hold a Fl Auto Dealers License you have an obligation to act as the State's agent and collect sales tax. The tax obligation is between me and the state; Tesla is only in the middle of that transaction as a result of their obligation to collect the tax. Tesla used this position to attempt to buy my car for $9K less than existing wholesale. I disposed of the car elsewhere.

Fast forward to today and we are discussing buying a performance model car then having the manufacturer reach out and take that horsepower away if you have the audacity to use it. I'm not taking about going to the race track or drifting; I'm talking about driving it like most any normal buyer that owns a 911, M Series or AMG.

There are many other examples I can provide like 691 hp, battery capacity and the like. The above are just two first hand experiences combined with the topic of this thread.

I see part of Tesla's behavior being the unbridled abuse of customers simply because they have the leverage and can. I see a pattern of showing customer concern where there is sunlight and having complete disregard for them when the activity is limited and receives little or no notice. From a big picture standpoint, I believe this forms a credible threat to the company's future all be it a small one. If I'm affected, I'll likely just dump the car and move on. I'm not the suing type for such things. I think, in the absence of greater awareness, Tesla will get away with this in the US as they have with the 691 hp issue. Heck, the 691 issue was much more cut and dried yet nothing happened here.

This is why I ask the question about the good Tesla is doing outweighing the way they are going about it. The follow on question is why accept the bad if it really is not adding to their ability to do the good?

Lastly, thank you for the honest, open and respectful debate on this issue. I appreciate your perspective and thoughtful comments.

Last edited:
I got my P85 in early 2013......when I sold the car a few months later to get a P85+, ......The PD is announced. I place an order

This is why I ask the question about the good Tesla is doing outweighing the way they are going about it. The follow on question is why accept the bad if it really is not adding to their ability to do the good?
Lastly, thank you for the honest, open and respectful debate on this issue. I appreciate your perspective and thoughtful comments.
i appreciate that you both like driving Tesla vehicles and are severely irked at perceived/possible mistreatment
I would suggest that in these 91 pages of discourse, there are Trolls and shorts, possibly fanning flames,
note join dates, lack of bio, references to this forum on short articles by known detractors, etc

You do realize the stock price has gone up ~$50 since December 1, 2015 (~25%+) and many shorts are seriously hurting puppies.
I would read many comments here with a bit of a jaundiced eye with the above in mind and try to winnow chaff from actualities.
some may be real, some exagerated, etc

(west palm beach!, Sanibel is also nice area, gulf coast SC had 5 of 8 bays in use few days ago in Naples area)

Reactions: bhzmark
Windield,

Please see my post on TM with links to known existing owners providing feedback they have received from Tesla...... Anything else here is just talk amongst friends who can easily spot outsiders talking about stock price and manipulation. I think we are safe.

As for Tesla being hurt by customers talking about what Tesla is doing___________________
Are you suggesting we save Tesla from itself? If so, how else but to shine a light on what they should not be doing?

I'm also a huge Tesla fan and disappointed in this development. I own a Roadster and a P90D. I was previously planning to lease a P100D (or whatever is top then) when my lease on the P90D is up in ~20 months, and I have a reservation on a Model 3. I was planning on getting both.... But, this fiasco has me looking at other cars, like the Porsche 911 Turbo S. I've told my SA the same thing and I'm hoping for a resolution.

One more bit of optimistic thinking. What if Tesla silently resolves this in another firmware update without admitting they were wrong? I would be ok with that.

@Tech_Guy have you tried updating to the latest firmware and trying out Ludicrous+ ? I haven't updated, but I think you don't have anything to lose at this point... It would be awesome if the happened to fix the limits with Ludicrous+.... Has anyone with a P90D tried it?

Reactions: smac
Rather than thinking exposing counter gate or pressing the issue could threaten the existence of Tesla as some have alluded, I believe there could be a solution that makes its customers happy and is revenue neutral or possibly positive to the company. Of course without knowing a lot more details this is probably wishful thinking but, for example...

If I was offered a $10,000 refund (and ludicrous turned off) or pay Tesla $10,000 to upgrade to the 100 KWh battery, I would most likely choose the latter (depending on the new fine print). Even if the program was less than breakeven for the company it would do wonders from a marketing and public relations perspective.

Reactions: NSX1992 and AWDtsla
Rather than thinking exposing counter gate or pressing the issue could threaten the existence of Tesla as some have alluded, I believe there could be a solution that makes its customers happy and is revenue neutral or possibly positive to the company. Of course without knowing a lot more details this is probably wishful thinking but, for example...

If I was offered a $10,000 refund (and ludicrous turned off) or pay Tesla $10,000 to upgrade to the 100 KWh battery, I would most likely choose the latter (depending on the new fine print). Even if the program was less than breakeven for the company it would do wonders from a marketing and public relations perspective.

I'd be fine if they just remove the power limit and deal with whatever warranty costs come up later. It can't be that expensive. They might need to fix a few batteries, but that has to be less expensive than upgrading or refunding people.

Reactions: smac and davidc18