Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack rebuild to take 4 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back on March 18th I returned home from work with 75 miles RM left and plugged in to charge. The car immediately said Charging Done and stopped. I contacted the SC in Seattle SODO and they said to bring it in that evening. On the 19th they said some electronics inside the pack was preventing it from charging and my pack would be sent to the factory for a rebuild and I would receive a loner pack and I should have the fixed pack back in a few weeks. Now I'm getting ready to sell my MS and order a new 90D so I called to check and the factory has not even started to rebuild my pack and it would be at least another 2 months before I get it back. 4 months for them to fix my pack. I don't think I can sell it with the Loaner, so I'm kind of stuck and will have to wait another 2+ months before I can sell it. Kind of pissed about this. Has anyone sold their MS with a Loaner pack installed?

I think you should contact the service center and let them know you are planning to sell the car soon. It seems like it should be simple. You sell the car and provide the new owner's contact information to Tesla, then when the pack is ready, Tesla ships the pack to the service center nearest to the new owner to have it installed.

My battery was red-flagged by engineering during a routine trip through the service center when the logs showed charging problems and was swapped for a loaner battery the first week of September 2015. The service center called me in December to reunite the pack with the car and picked up the car, but didn't actually reinstall the battery. It was just reinstalled this week along with the ludicrous upgrade, almost nine months later (I've had the car for just about 18 months). I don't know if they held off on reinstallation because I had a preorder for the upgrade, or if there were some kind of internal miscommunication.

I'm starting to see how buying the car and leasing a battery makes sense.

I think you should contact the service center and let them know you are planning to sell the car soon. It seems like it should be simple. You sell the car and provide the new owner's contact information to Tesla, then when the pack is ready, Tesla ships the pack to the service center nearest to the new owner to have it installed.
I did, they seamed to think it was no big deal If I was trading it in to Tesla. However Tesla's offer was a bit low at $44k. I want to sell it locally which should bring in ~$50k which brings me to my main question of is it possible (Legal) to sell it with a Loaner pack installed?

I did, they seamed to think it was no big deal If I was trading it in to Tesla. However Tesla's offer was a bit low at $44k. I want to sell it locally which should bring in ~$50k which brings me to my main question of is it possible (Legal) to sell it with a Loaner pack installed?
That would seem to be up to Tesla and the prospective buyer. I'd be a little skittish about buying a car that needs a rebuilt pack. I think it will hurt your resale value.

Reactions: newtman
I can't imagine what state law would make it illegal for you to sell your car in its current condition. Just get a written statement from your Service Center explaining the situation and guaranteeing that the next owner will get the rebuilt pack installed at no charge to them.

If I was the prospective buyer that would certainly satisfy me. However, I recognize that it might concern some buyers.

I doubt it. Tesla is taking a very long time to make repairs to the car's original pack. By agreeing to the repair, the owner of the car did not relinquish the right to sell the vehicle. As long as the situation is disclosed to the next owner, and a written statement is obtained from Tesla guaranteeing that the repaired pack will be installed in the car when ready, I don't see a problem.