Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Mismatch Survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
looks like the front is still a shade darker than the rear door. have other pics? still, doesnt seem as bad as others

That one looks about what my Y is in terms of color matching. Not perfect, but much better than some others. But as I've said in other posts, Tesla isn't the only one that has the color matching issue as Pearl White is really hard it seems. On my dog walks through the neighborhood I really started looking at other people's Pearl White vehicles. I've noticed the same thing on a Nissan Altima, a Nissan Rouge, a Honda Accord and a new Mitsubishi (not sure of the model - Outlander?). I just think the Pearl White shows the imperfections more than other colors.

I just had a mobile service and asked the guy about the the paint mismatch. He said it’s within spec. I have another service scheduled at a SC. I will ask them again to see what they say. I still like the car so much even with this paint mismatch.

Attachments

• 177CC488-FD4F-499D-A99D-F6C462DE144B.jpeg
    177CC488-FD4F-499D-A99D-F6C462DE144B.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 176
  • D9DF9153-39EB-4BF7-AC6D-F6B02002613B.jpeg
    D9DF9153-39EB-4BF7-AC6D-F6B02002613B.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 161
  • AD01FB15-409A-4CAB-B589-5FD23A9CFE16.jpeg
    AD01FB15-409A-4CAB-B589-5FD23A9CFE16.jpeg
    359.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 1CBF6B26-69D3-4765-8E32-0E2759EAC0FA.jpeg
    1CBF6B26-69D3-4765-8E32-0E2759EAC0FA.jpeg
    492.2 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
That one looks about what my Y is in terms of color matching. Not perfect, but much better than some others. But as I've said in other posts, Tesla isn't the only one that has the color matching issue as Pearl White is really hard it seems. On my dog walks through the neighborhood I really started looking at other people's Pearl White vehicles. I've noticed the same thing on a Nissan Altima, a Nissan Rouge, a Honda Accord and a new Mitsubishi (not sure of the model - Outlander?). I just think the Pearl White shows the imperfections more than other colors.

Just easy question: what are the conditions on Model 3, Model S, and Model X with white color?

If they do not have obvious mismatch issue, why Y???

Reactions: Ba2yev

Tesla has plenty of perfectly fine pearl white Models 3, S, X on the streets. Other companies too. This is the main reason why I rejected the car - I just wasn't ready to justify Tesla’s ****ups by comparing it to other cars.

Just easy question: what are the conditions on Model 3, Model S, and Model X with white color?

I was just at the Tysons Corner, VA dealership today and saw at least two white MYs with darker front doors. (12xxx VINs) I DID check the M3s, MSs, and MXs they had on the lot and they were all fine. There was at least 1 white MY that looked ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ba2yev
My 2012 Prius that was $22k has perfect pearl white paint. My 2018 Outback that was $30k has perfect pearl white paint. My Y that is currently on order for $56k will have perfect pearl white paint regardless of how many I need to reject. Tesla needs to get their head out of their ass and learn how to paint a car. People need to quit compromising on quality.

Reactions: Kelr316 and raggedy
My 2012 Prius that was $22k has perfect pearl white paint. My 2018 Outback that was $30k has perfect pearl white paint. My Y that is currently on order for $56k will have perfect pearl white paint regardless of how many I need to reject. Tesla needs to get their head out of their ass and learn how to paint a car. People need to quit compromising on quality.
Back off! Pearl white is a very special color. My last mineral white BMW had mismatching paint!!!!!
.... Now that I remember it. I had an accident, so the front had to be painted. Even then, it looked 100 times better than the Model Y I rejected last week.

652CD73C-5B3A-4D9A-B835-7DD05407627B.jpeg 549536B3-F8EE-4CFB-9F17-BAECC8FDE819.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: kevin1
I think Tesla has been around long enough now, and with the market shifting as it has in recent years, that Tesla (and all EV cars) are becoming a more mainstream product. We aren't all early adopters anymore and not all of us are willing to accept flaws to be on the cutting edge.

I feel that there are those Tesla owners that think it's ok to have misaligned panels and mismatched paint because that's the price to pay for being on the cutting edge of technology. What has always turned me off are the Tesla fan boy attitudes that all ICE cars are EVIL and that their being Tesla owners makes them so much more environmentally conscious; it's a "high and mighty" attitude that they're more WOKE that anyone.

Mining battery materials isn't a clean process. The plastics and metals in a Tesla are not manufactured cleanly. We all know this so get off the ICE hate. I put my Y order in because I do believe in the mission and see the future as moving away from ICE cars. I do believe in global warming and that burning fossil fuels contributes to it. I also feel we are at a time where we can expect Tesla to present a car to us that has the same quality assurance level as other car makers.

There is one ICE car "hate" I'll toss out there: Old diesel sedans we can't get off the road and full size diesel pickups that have become the "cool car" for young men to drive. I see many old Mercedes diesels spewing black smoke out their tail pipes and the streets have become full of guys driving full size diesel trucks as daily drivers. I put my car in Recirc Mode whenever I see a diesel nearby because of the choking exhaust fumes.

ok, this rant done...

• Funny
Reactions: Dayreg and Ba2yev
My sister has a white Model 3 and it has perfectly matched panels/paint, so we know Tesla knows how to paint white cars. Something went wrong at the factory with the recent MY paint and rather than pull them to have them repainted, they're giving them to owners hoping they don't get rejected. roll eyes

In spec my azz

My sister has a white Model 3 and it has perfectly matched panels/paint, so we know Tesla knows how to paint white cars. Something went wrong at the factory with the recent MY paint and rather than pull them to have them repainted, they're giving them to owners hoping they don't get rejected. roll eyes

In spec my azz

Are you sure her perfectly fine white pearl model 3 wasn't an accident? :)

Passing those cars with an ovious defect to the next clueless, or careless customer is what bothers me the most!

Reactions: raggedy
My driver door looked slightly off--not noticed at pickup, so I recruited my OCD neighbor who has a pear white Model 3, to take a look. While we both see a slightly darker tone on the front door, he suggested it may be very angle dependent and the way the rear door flares out more so than the front, as well as the door edges between the front and rear doors which create this darker tone in the front. We placed a strip of blue painters tape between the front and rear doors and the effect is minimized and the doors look the same.

I'm not saying all cars are fine (obviously some are really bad) but there is a small truth to the way the paint looks different at every different angle and the way the door line shadow plays tricks on you.

y.jpg

Reactions: azentropy