Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano Roof Broke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2015 90D and starting to hear clicking sounds when opening the moonroof. Finally, it became stuck open. Tesla service stated it was due to two broken struts. However, they stated there would be a possibility of fracturing the glass due to high tension needed to remove the glass in order to repair it. If they were able to save the glass, they quoted about $500 to fix. If not $1800 (about $1000 for the glass)! Was there a recall on this pano roof? And is this craziness? Thanks your your help.

Reactions: rickyjb
I just did a search for any TSBs and did not find anything that would relate to pano roof strut issues. There were a few related to noise complaints, but nothing I spotted related to failures.

Out of curiosity, have you owned the car since new and had the pano roof lubricated on a regular basis?

I have a pano roof on my mid-2016 model S. I know lubrication of the tracks was a regular part of the the annual maintenance check, but going on 2 years for me since mine was last lubricated and just wondering about making sure that gets done again before too long.

Thank you for all your responses. I did have this serviced at least every two years since new and asked them to lubricate it. BTW, I just received an email that they ordered "ASY, PANO ROOF 2.1 FIXED GLASS KIT, SERVICE Part #: 1053621-S0-B" so I assume they could not save the glass. I find this quite unusual for a car of this value to have this part fail so early.

2015s had v1 of the pano roof. Supposedly the issues are fixed in v2. My May 2015 build has had issues with stuttering and such going back to when it was <1 yr old. Tesla kept re-lubricating it every time I complained, which would 'fix' it for a week or two, then the problems would return.

Now car is 6 yrs old/167k miles and I just live with it. I clean/lubricate it with lithium grease a few times/summer and then leave it closed all winter. $1800 doesn't sound too bad if its a v2 and fixes the issues permanently.

Now car is 6 yrs old/167k miles and I just live with it. I clean/lubricate it with lithium grease a few times/summer and then leave it closed all winter. $1800 doesn't sound too bad if its a v2 and fixes the issues permanently.

I've wanted to service my own pano, but been uncertain on the procedure.

I found the following which shows some of the method the SC uses, which leads me to ask if you're doing the same?

Sunroof removal?

Attachments

• Model S - Annual Service.pdf
    764.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Informative
Reactions: Skipdd
I've wanted to service my own pano, but been uncertain on the procedure.

I found the following which shows some of the method the SC uses, which leads me to ask if you're doing the same?

Sunroof removal?

Just steps 1-4 (and I've been using a white lithium grease, maybe the Klubersynth 44-702 would work better). The 4 screws holding the glass on are one time use, so need to replace those if you take the glass off. Maybe next time I'll do that.

Yeah these sunroofs are not known for their reliability.

I have a similar problem, they quoted me upwards of $1800 to fix it. I just cleaned it as best I could and lubed the hell out of it. I find that if I guide it by hand then I can get it to open and close.

I've read that procedure also. I have no idea why those screws would be single use only. They're not even under that much tension.

Thank you all: They also found one of the motors need to be replaced. The total invoice was $2225.81 with tax. Still it irks me that I was charged for the glass because it sometimes breaks when it is removed (and it broke!). Otherwise, it would be was less (about $500 total without the motor). Also, we are being charged for faulty engineering.

Thank you all: They also found one of the motors need to be replaced. The total invoice was $2225.81 with tax. Still it irks me that I was charged for the glass because it sometimes breaks when it is removed (and it broke!). Otherwise, it would be was less (about $500 total without the motor). Also, we are being charged for faulty engineering.
Sadly they “fixed” the engineering by removing it as an option.. One of many reasons I bought out my lease vs trading up.

2015s had v1 of the pano roof. Supposedly the issues are fixed in v2. My May 2015 build has had issues with stuttering and such going back to when it was <1 yr old. Tesla kept re-lubricating it every time I complained, which would 'fix' it for a week or two, then the problems would return.

I think some aspects of the roof design actually changed during calendar year 2015. Mine was built in late August 2015, and has the newer design for the roof rack installation points, which (as I recall) was the visual distinction between that generation and the earlier ones. But there may have been other changes later....

My panoroof started leaking (not my sunroof but actual panoroof) above my backseat. TsC confirmed and ordered a new panoroof part and told me they wanted it on hand if it was to shatter when they removed it to re-seal the roof. I had my roof tinted (80%) and they did shatter it trying to remove and re-seal it. It cost me $700.

• Informative
Reactions: Skipdd