Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic roof creaking noise.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine goes in Monday morning (White Plains) for the fix. It does get worse when the weather is warm. I hope they can get it corrected because it drives me nuts. Having passenger door adjusted as it takes extra effort to close. I also have a wheel well liner (front passenger side) that was defective/damaged and was rubbing on tire (it was bowed toward the tire) and shredded slightly. I had to cut it away to avoid any further rubbing. It is an odd material, almost felt like. Not sure how that is going to hold up to wet heavy snow come winter.

Had the car wrapped with xpel at Automobilia in West Haven Ct and they did a great job. As a plus they are less than 5 miles from the supercharger in Milford!

The shim fix was done for us week before last and it has worked well so far. The lubricant fix for steering creaks only lasted a few days before returning though. The service tech said sometimes it takes a few tries to nail it for good.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

OK ... here's my fix for those squeaks from the pano roof...

I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004B8GTQG/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

The problem area is this seal noted with the yellow areas. It's a very hard seal and you can almost duplicate the sound rubbing your finger across it ....

20130522_181801.jpg

Cleaned the seal all around the pano roof and applied the product ....

Gave her a nice test ride and got complete silence back.

Cannot speak for how long it will last, but it's much better than making a trip for another temporary fix from the SC .....

OK ... here's my fix for those squeaks from the pano roof...

I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004B8GTQG/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

The problem area is this seal noted with the yellow areas. It's a very hard seal and you can almost duplicate the sound rubbing your finger across it ....

Cleaned the seal all around the pano roof and applied the product ....

Gave her a nice test ride and got complete silence back.

Cannot speak for how long it will last, but it's much better than making a trip for another temporary fix from the SC .....

Great tip, thanks....just ordered a bottle, will report back later this week. My car had been parked for a week in a garage, so was totally silent on the way into work this morning, but at lunchtime it was terrible, maybe worse than before the 'shim fix' that the SC did.

I was getting a creak from around the drivers side cross-member around the fixed pano roof glass. Service could not fix it but wanted to schedule removing the rear glass. In the meantime I popped off the centre cross member cover, removed the metal cross member with three screws, sprayed up inside the metal dividing tube with WD-40 (without the plastic straw) while being extremely careful not to get any on the headliner or car. No more creaks and its been 2 weeks. It sounded like it was the sealant sticking and letting go. Perhaps the WD-40 softened it a bit.

Mine is in the shop for the second time. First fix took two days, and lasted a day. Now it has been in the shop for a week. The loaner Model S is even worse than mine. ddenboer - I know what you mean, they need to update us when our cars are in the shop - like other car service centers do. I hope they can fix it.

Any chance you might have some pictures when you had it apart? The cover just snaps off?

Service was able to solve the problem for about a month, and now the noise is back with a vengeance. I hate it.

I'm getting tired of all the noises in this car: Motor controller squeal at high throttle, pano roof creaking and seat belt mechanism nattering in my ear.

I was getting a creak from around the drivers side cross-member around the fixed pano roof glass. Service could not fix it but wanted to schedule removing the rear glass. In the meantime I popped off the centre cross member cover, removed the metal cross member with three screws, sprayed up inside the metal dividing tube with WD-40 (without the plastic straw) while being extremely careful not to get any on the headliner or car. No more creaks and its been 2 weeks. It sounded like it was the sealant sticking and letting go. Perhaps the WD-40 softened it a bit.

A lot of people have had their creaking pano roof and passenger A bar and their seat belt rattle 'fixed' by their service center. In many cases it seems like the fix worked at first
but then after a while the annoying sounds came back either because the temperature changed or whatever.

My question is, has anyone had these noises fixed where the fix lasted for more than a few weeks or months? I'm about to take my car in for the third time and I'm wondering if it's
worth my while.

Let me add one more question: are there Model S cars that don't have these noises at all? Or does everyone have them to some degree?

Last edited:
I plan on having the service center checking the roof, it only creaks when it is open or has just recently been open, then it goes away. Shims should fix this. The squeaky noise can be fixed by just applying a very thin layer of silicon gel to the rubber bits. Note the very thin. This will wear off, but can easily be reapplied. Learned this from Mercedes.

RNG

A lot of people have had their creaking pano roof and passenger A bar and their seat belt rattle 'fixed' by their service center. In many cases it seems like the fix worked at first
but then after a while the annoying sounds came back either because the temperature changed or whatever.

My question is, has anyone had these noises fixed where the fix lasted for more than a few weeks or months? I'm about to take my car in for the third time and I'm wondering if it's
worth my while.

Let me add one more question: are there Model S cars that don't have these noises at all? Or does everyone have them to some degree?

Strictly pano opinion: I've pulled the cover on the cross member myself. There is simply nothing there that can rattle unless the bolts are physically loose. It is the glass/seal mount that makes the noise and I am satisfied I have fixed it.

I had a similar noise that I traced to the headliner in the very back of the car. I stuffed some foam pieces in there and it is also solved.

I have not found a reasonable fix for the seat belts, however, its very minor in my car.

In our car with 11,400 miles on it I have never heard a peep from the Pano roof. We do have the seatbelt noise and are having those replaced.
In our brand new (VIN 37xx) we do have the roof creaking noise and will be bringing that in to have it looked at. Not sure about the seat belts, will pay more attention to that today.

I plan on having the service center checking the roof, it only creaks when it is open or has just recently been open, then it goes away. Shims should fix this. The squeaky noise can be fixed by just applying a very thin layer of silicon gel to the rubber bits. Note the very thin. This will wear off, but can easily be reapplied. Learned this from Mercedes.

RNG

Interesting. I hear the creaking all the time, not just after I open the roof. I haven't noticed a squeaking noise.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Strictly pano opinion: I've pulled the cover on the cross member myself. There is simply nothing there that can rattle unless the bolts are physically loose. It is the glass/seal mount that makes the noise and I am satisfied I have fixed it.

I had a similar noise that I traced to the headliner in the very back of the car. I stuffed some foam pieces in there and it is also solved.

I have not found a reasonable fix for the seat belts, however, its very minor in my car.

So this stuff you put on, it solved the creaking or tick sound when the car flexes? The sound I hear seems to be coming from
above the rear passengers seats somewhere, from the fixed pano roof, rather than the sliding pano roof over the front seats. But maybe I'll
give this your solution a shot, it can't hurt.

Also, when you say you had a similar noise from the headliner in the back, was it also that same creaking or tic noise?
Could you attach a photo showing where you put the foam?

- - - Updated - - -

In our car with 11,400 miles on it I have never heard a peep from the Pano roof. We do have the seatbelt noise and are having those replaced.
In our brand new (VIN 37xx) we do have the roof creaking noise and will be bringing that in to have it looked at. Not sure about the seat belts, will pay more attention to that today.

Glad to hear that there are some cars that don't have this problem at all. Gives me hope that there is a permanent fix, but wonder why
the Service centers haven't managed to find one yet.

So this stuff you put on, it solved the creaking or tick sound when the car flexes? The sound I hear seems to be coming from
above the rear passengers seats somewhere, from the fixed pano roof, rather than the sliding pano roof over the front seats. But maybe I'll
give this your solution a shot, it can't hurt.

Also, when you say you had a similar noise from the headliner in the back, was it also that same creaking or tic noise?
Could you attach a photo showing where you put the foam?

1. Yes ... solved it. We shall see for how long. But it's only 10 minutes to reapply.
2. I posted here originally ...
Literally the headliner area where a center passenger would sit in the rear seat.

worth my while.

The fix for mine has lasted for a couple months now. Mine started because there was too much adhesive from the factory install which grabbed hold of the weather stripping and took it out. Just putting the stripping back myself did not fix the constant creaks, but the Menlo Park service center worked their magic in about 4 hrs and got rid of it.

Now if they could just get the weird haze circles out of my clear coat I'd be completely happy. Their cutting compound just doesn't seem to do the trick.