Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic roof creaking noise.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3. Rattle from the driver seat belt fastener. They said they fixed it, but on the drive home it sounded worse than usual. Has anyone succeeded in fixing this rattle?

Are you referring to a seat belt fastener or the plastic sleeve that guides the belt out of the retractor mechanism? The latter is a well-know noise producer, created by the nylon belt rubbing against the plastic. You can diagnose by holding your sholder still with the seat belt on, then slowly moving your shoulder to see if you can hear it.

Are you referring to a seat belt fastener or the plastic sleeve that guides the belt out of the retractor mechanism? The latter is a well-know noise producer, created by the nylon belt rubbing against the plastic. You can diagnose by holding your sholder still with the seat belt on, then slowly moving your shoulder to see if you can hear it.

The latter. Is this something that anyone has managed to get fixed?

Kinddog,
Was the temperature outside on your commute significantly cooler with the rain? Metal expands with heat.....

no... the creak happens in both cold and hot. if anything, it increases as temps rise..

- - - Updated - - -

The latter. Is this something that anyone has managed to get fixed?

i saw someone put the soft side of velcro tape there. that way the belt rubs against that, there is no friction and therefore no noise.

(must not look very good tho)

i'm almost at the point where i don't even care about this seat-belt friction creak. just fix the damn pano roof!!! :cursing:

Had my car at the San Rafael SC this week, mainly for the windshield replacement, but also had my pano roof creak addressed while it was there. They put in the shims per their TSB and so far today, no more creaking. Here is the info from my service report.

-----
Customer Concern:
Customer states: Panoramic roof makes creak noises while driving
Pay Type:Warranty
Cause:Found creak from panoramic roof.
Correction:
Install 4 Shims Between B-Pillar Crossmember and Sunshade Tracks, Back
Out Panoramic Spacer Bolts, and Move J-Clips
Applied updates as per SB-13-24-001. Test drove and found noise was gone.

Had my car at the San Rafael SC this week, mainly for the windshield replacement, but also had my pano roof creak addressed while it was there. They put in the shims per their TSB and so far today, no more creaking. Here is the info from my service report.

-----
Customer Concern:
Correction:

Judging from the date of the SB, and the actions taken, it's the same thing they did to mine, and it lasted about 3 days before returning. The temperature definitely makes it worse, in the mornings it's slight annoying (~70-80f, car garaged), in the evenings it's beyond annoying (~100f, car baked outside all day)

I'm booked in for next Wednesday for another attempt to fix, my SC (Dallas) now has a couple of Model S loaners (a P85 and an S60).

-----
Customer Concern:
Correction:

anyone know if new cars coming out of production have this issue solved? It seems if there is a SC "fix" for it, they should be doing so upfront on new productions. I'm two weeks away from delivery, so hopefully they solve by then.

We got our MS on Sat and have heard ours only one time and that was going into a driveway entrance at an angle where there was some definite flex on the car. It was noticable but if it doesn't happen again, I am not agoing to worry about it.

anyone know if new cars coming out of production have this issue solved? It seems if there is a SC "fix" for it, they should be doing so upfront on new productions. I'm two weeks away from delivery, so hopefully they solve by then.

That's funny. We have Sunshade tracks, but no sunshade. Maybe the shades are delayed because they creak too much.

AHHH.....someone else has brought up SUNSHADES again! I am in a serious debate with Tesla over their COMMITMENT TO PROVIDE PANO ROOF SUNSHADE RETRO FIT KITS.

FOR THE RECORD, TESLA DOES NOT HAVE A DEVELOPMENT PROJECT GOING, AND WILL NOT BE PROVIDING PANO ROOF SUNSHADES!!! I have documentation that says I will get one and George Blankenship actually spoke about the "re-design" several months back, saying the design team didn't like the original solution. Doesn't show much class, IMHO!

I am having a custom shop design a PANO ROOF SUNSHADE kit for me, because I insist on having that here in hot and sunny Nevada.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: Had my pano roof shim kit installed yesterday along with a fix for high wind noise from the pano at high speeds. at the new (almost open) Las Vegas Service Center. Service folks were exceptional and very accommodating. Service Manager Jessica Wilde is a true professional, and will have a great service center soon!