Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic roof creaking noise.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the car back from my third attempt at the pano roof creak and rattle. Two distinct noises for me. One is a long "creak" when you are going up parking ramps, etc that sounds like the roof is flexing. The second sound is a rattle that you hear on bumpy roads like something is loose. The first time, both sounds seemed to go away but came back within 10-14 days. Second attempt did nothing for either. Third attempt (got the car back Friday) seems to have fixed the "creak" but the loose rattle noise is still very noticeable and I'm sure the creak will be back soon. This is very frustrating as it is not a cosmetic fix that you know can be fixed someday. Service is very nice and seems confident each time that they have some new "fix", but doesn't seem to be happening. I'm willing to try one more time, but started reading the language on the lemon laws as I don't sense this is fixable. VIN 13,XXX.

Im wondering if this is an issue related to the 13xxx vin numbers as I have the same issue. Multiple attempts have failed.

Service center completely removed and replaced the entire panel glass as well as the corresponding brackets. As soon as I opened the sunroof the creaking noise is back. I am about to give up and about to email Tesla asking for a new car since they cannot fix this issue. This is the 4th failed attempt. Very frustrated. Vin 13xxx.

In your case the Oregon Lemon Law would kick in and you would get a full refund....of course you would have to hire an attorney. One demand letter and a few emails would do it.

I have solved the creaking sound once and for all....about time. The fix is a no brainer and very simple to do. All you need is this:

velcro.jpg

Apply the fuzzy part of the Velcro on the top part of this sunroof lip.
Sunroof Fix.jpg

The creaking and rubbing is coming when this lip goes under the bracket on the front frame.
Just trace the Velcro with a razor and trim it to match the lip of the sunroof.
So easy and simple...no more sound !!! Finally !!:wink:

I had the creak start after about 2w. I put a little bit of black electrical tap on the top of the metal tab at the leading edge of the roof. Trimmed it with a utility knife. All creaking gone in the two weeks since I made the fix. Saved me a trip to the SC.
I've had this creaking noise for several weeks now and it has been driving me nuts. Did a search here, came up with this thread, and saw this fix. THAT...works like a charm! The creaking noise is gone now.

Nearly 1 year after you posted this, I offer my thanks to you!

I stand on the shoulders of giants. It was passed along to my and I am happy to pass along to others. I will add that I had a creak return some time later. After a few SC visits we determined the issue was actually a rattle in the interior cross bar that separates the front pano from the rear pano section. This is just a trim piece and if not correctly seated it can rattle. The SC was able to put some Velcro strips in there and that fixed things right up.

I suspect that some pano creaks might be trim rattles from the ceiling cross pieces. Hope this helps others!

The padding fix worked!
Here mine.
I have folded it on both sides,so it was very easy to install.
I am still taking the car to service, since the noise increased through time, and I think something got loose, in my opinion it is not the sunroof, but something under where the sunroof connects.

FullSizeRender.jpg

if you are wondering what the noise sounded like (I can use the past tense, now).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9pjjdd8c1eh0fns/Tesla M Noise.m4a?dl=0

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Romand
So I took delivery of a 70D on Tuesday. By Friday the noise had nearly driven me insane, ok that might be a bit dramatic but it's pretty annoying. Then I found this thread. So I looked into doing this fix and found that the tab looked like it had glue on it. I wondered whether it had come with something on it from the factory that came off? Either way I bought some felt with sticky backing and applied it. It worked like magic. I can't thank grkviking enough.

I was really going crazy with the noise, and the fact that SC wanted to deny warranty repair for installing a dashcam is making the whole Tesla experience sour.

I saw this post a while back and thought it only applied to older MS, until I ran across Alan's post above which had a similar 70D with the issue. So I gave the Velcro a try and so far the noise has not come back! Not sure how or why this works, but it does! Thanks to whomever that came up with this idea! You should patent it and sell it to Tesla LOL!

Is this creaking noise the same as a ticking sound? I hear a "tick" or "rattle" coming from the front center of my pano roof. Sometimes opening the sunroof all the way and closing it makes it go away, only to return later. I just wanted to make sure this was the same noise you're all describing, because if so, I'm putting some velcro on there tonight.

Is this creaking noise the same as a ticking sound? I hear a "tick" or "rattle" coming from the front center of my pano roof. Sometimes opening the sunroof all the way and closing it makes it go away, only to return later. I just wanted to make sure this was the same noise you're all describing, because if so, I'm putting some velcro on there tonight.

Yes it is. I had it there and after a few service visits, it was fixed.

Looks like the factory has began an effort to address the problem -- I took delivery of my 70D two weeks ago; same problem began after the 4th open and close of the pano; a faint tapping noise coming from above. Upon inspecting the lip, I discovered that a felt strip had already been placed in the prone area-- either by the factory or my SC before delivery. Unfortunately the strip they are starting to use for this problem is too thin. You can see in the photo it wore through it quickly. I replaced the felt with a thicker soft velcro strip on the top of the lip last night and the problem is solved --- my full gratitude goes to this thread!

Here's what it looked like from factory (top and underside) after 4 uses: wear marks seen on topside...
Felt.jpg