Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking at the Airport for a week (60D) - range loss?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Still relatively new here - have had my amazing 60D for about a month, and obsessively check this forum now - loving the community.

Can someone give me peace of mind (or call me off if I'm wrong) - that I can leave my car at the airport (Seattle weather...40s for the high, 30s overnight) for 7 days and not bleed out too much charge that I can get back home?

I charge my 60D to 210mi at home. By the time I get to the airport (which is about 15mi) - I'm down to 150-160 (my driving is likely not optimal + heating, etc.). How much range will I lose every 24 hours?

I haven't done any real 'testing' of how much I lose overnight when the car is just idle (most of my driving is to/from work close to home...and I plug into a standard 110V most nights right now)

We have EV spots at the airport, but they are often full - so I don't want to have to count on finding one!

The cold weather will definitely be a factor, expect no less than 10-15 miles loss per day based on my 90D, although it may be different based on percentage of total capacity.

Given your distance to airport and 7 days waiting (est 100 miles consumption) , you should have enough to return home safely unless my my calculations are too conservative.

I have wondered if a complete power shut-off is a viable approach. It may save some battery, but will definitely take quite awhile to restart and warm-up enough to function upon your return, really only possible if you park it yourself and not valet.

• Disagree
Reactions: Lbkmxp100d
Another option that may be available is an off-site parking lot that has guaranteed EV parking assuming that is available at your location. I use one near the Atlanta airport every time I travel and it is great. You just leave the car plugged into a 110v outlet the whole time you're gone and come back to a fully charged car. Costs me less than airport parking, too.

Or you could just use Uber to get to the airport. I'm guessing two 15 mile Uber trips is generally cheaper than paying for 7 days of parking at the airport.

You're 60D will drain completely to zero as it's rage at you for leaving it at the airport rather than at home in it's comfy garage will drain every last bit of juice o_O

My advice. Don't leave it at the airport. That's why I have a Prius 245K+ mile car as a beater so it can take the abuse.

I left my car parked in 40-50 degree San Francisco weather over new years, for 10 days. I even connected to the car 3-4 times to check, and while demoing the feature at parties while on vacation. I left with 175 miles and got back to 164 miles rated range in both cases. I assume it would be worse in much colder weather, but based on my own experience I don't give much thought to this when I'm parking in anything over 40 degrees weather.

Two things: First look if one of the parking lots offers charging. One at SFO does valet and makes sure it's full on your return. No extra charge beyond the surcharge for valet (but since that's no worse than the 'official' parking rate for long term, who cares

Second, I left mine (S85) for two weeks over new years at home. Yeah, I know not the same, but it let me test because if I got it wrong, I could just plug it in and wait. So, outside in cold (for us) weather. Freezing at night, highs to 50s. I left it in energy save but connection on. I left it plugged in but set the recycle down to 50% (IOW it wouldn't charge unless it drained that far.) Parked at 90%. I checked on it every couple of days (no leaving it in sleeping peace) and watched it drain rapidly for a few days when it was at the colder end of the range. However, after two full weeks, I actually forced a recharge remotely on the way home simply because I wanted it full. It was at 51% and wouldn't have kicked on automatically until the night schedule AFTER I arrived.

TLDR version: 14 days, cool to cold weather, outside, ~40% drain. I'm not going to worry at the airport for a week anymore.

Hi,

I have a question that fits in this thread and perhaps someone can help me. Sometimes my car sits the whole weekend parked at the garage, so It has 404km on friday (my 90%) but on monday it's only 390km (due to vampire drain), but it still says charging complete. Will the car keep droping range and not top up if I leave it for 15 or 30 days stopped? Or does it have a safety trigger that will auto replenish after a few days even if the car did not move?

SousagII90D- Yes, leaving the car plugged in after a completed charge, the car will drain a few miles / day until it gets down about 10% ( I'm not sure of the exact number) and then it will recharge- Sorry I don't know the exact trigger point, but my car does it all the time YMMV- I have an 2014 S85

As for the original posting- we leave our car at the PHX airport all the time- and we typically see ~3Miles/Day vampire losses with Range mode on and always connected off. We don't query the car during the time in the garage, so I'm not sure what additional drain that will use. We have left the car in the parking garage in all weather conditions (Mid summer >100F and winter ~50F) the results have been the same each time, We've left it form 5 to 11 days The vampire drain is always ~3Miles/day

Hope this helps

• Informative
Reactions: Sousagil90D
I will just add in my experience. I have had left my car at the airport for a couple of 4-5 day stretches and I only lost about 10 miles. the temperature was probably in the 30s-60s most of the time parked. I have an S60 and live ~10 miles from the airport and it would not phase me at all to leave my car in an airport parking lot for a couple weeks. However, two caveats. It doesn't get below freezing here very often and I don't have a bunch of apps and other things trying to connect to my car all the time.

Vampire drain on my car is pretty high as I have several apps / loggers connecting to it constantly, and I keep energy saving turned off and always connected turned on. Most days I charge when I get home, and it finishes around 10pm with about 284 miles of range. By 9am or so the next morning it is usually down to 277 or 278. If I let it sit for a couple of days it will usually kick off a new charge cycle when the charge drops below 270 miles or so. I wish the app would let you manually kick off a new charge cycle to top the car back off. You can do it indirectly by bumping the charge limit up to 100% and then back down to 90% after it starts charging, but it seems silly to have to do it that way.

Hi all,

Still relatively new here - have had my amazing 60D for about a month, and obsessively check this forum now - loving the community.

Can someone give me peace of mind (or call me off if I'm wrong) - that I can leave my car at the airport (Seattle weather...40s for the high, 30s overnight) for 7 days and not bleed out too much charge that I can get back home?

I charge my 60D to 210mi at home. By the time I get to the airport (which is about 15mi) - I'm down to 150-160 (my driving is likely not optimal + heating, etc.). How much range will I lose every 24 hours?

I haven't done any real 'testing' of how much I lose overnight when the car is just idle (most of my driving is to/from work close to home...and I plug into a standard 110V most nights right now)

We have EV spots at the airport, but they are often full - so I don't want to have to count on finding one!

1. I routinely charge to ~222 miles and drive 45 miles to Seattle airport and leave it there for a week, come home with plenty of range. 3-6 miles a day is probably a good estimate of the loss.
2. If you are really worried, SeaTac airport has a bunch of EV parking with charging (follow the signs, I think it's level 2), just bring your 110V charging cable and by the time you come back you'll be at full charge. Personally, I've never bothered, I don't even try (don't even bring the charge cable, nor do I even charge the 85 to 100% either) - I've yet to have an issue and most of my trips are 5+ days long.

I am curious about your Wh/mile though. You say you drive 15 miles and your rated range drops from 210 to as low as 150, that's ~1,200 Wh/mile. What on earth are you doing with your car? I've been driving a Model S for 4 years, own two of them today, one of them has Ludicrous, yet I've yet to average 1,200Wh/m for more than a handfull of miles when the car is very cold (for Seattle, so 20's F). I've even cruised between superchargers in Montana at close to 100mph but never came close to averaging 1000Wh/m. Do you pre-heat it for hours while not connected to shore? What Wh/m does you car say when you drive 15 miles and rated range drops by 60miles?

Hi,

I have a question that fits in this thread and perhaps someone can help me. Sometimes my car sits the whole weekend parked at the garage, so It has 404km on friday (my 90%) but on monday it's only 390km (due to vampire drain), but it still says charging complete. Will the car keep droping range and not top up if I leave it for 15 or 30 days stopped? Or does it have a safety trigger that will auto replenish after a few days even if the car did not move?

Yep. If you want it to charge, you have to manually trigger it at that point. Unfortunately, once it has completed a charge, I can't find a way to trigger it again from the app until you unplug and replug it. For two week sit, I set mine to 50% charge max (while SOC was ~90%) and plugged it in. Then it would have kicked on at 50% had I not tripped it manually via app a day earlier so it would be full when I got home.