Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking inside a small garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

We have a really small garage (length-wise), which came with the apartment. It measures 4.77m (477cm / 15.6 feet), the new Highland is 472cm according to spec sheets, which gives only 5 cm (2inch) manoeuvre room. We may have an option to extend the garage by 7cm (2.8 inch), which would give us 12 cm (4.7 inch) manoeuvre room to park - in practise, the latter with 12cm space, I could pull that off for sure, as I had a car that fit in that space with wiggle room of 10cm.

In any case, would Tesla allow me even to park in such tight space? Or will it display 'STOP' and won't allow me to move the vehicle, since it thinks I already hit the wall. I saw some videos where new Vision Parking makes really bad estimates of how much space it has.

Any experience with parking in tight spaces at home?

Thanks.

As @UncleCreepy said, the car will scream warnings but won't stop you from hitting the wall if you persist. At a slow speed it won't apply the brakes at all.

My garage isn't as tight a fit for my M3 as yours but it's still pretty short and I always get warnings to stop during the last few cm. I park by driving in forwards. As an alternative to a tennis ball hung from the ceiling, I use a "pool noodle" on a plunger sitting on the floor.

I was also concerned about accidentally opening the trunk (such as from the app) when the garage door is closed because the door is a one piece metal one with cross beams. To, hopefully, avoid damaging the trunk lid, I put a sheet of foam on the garage door.

As long as you're driving, it wont interfere.

You can tape a horizontal line on the rear wall to tell you when to stop, as demonstrates here:

I am thinking of getting something like this:
1716887664524.png

But instead of to protect door opening, I use it for bumper. So when I touch it, I know I am done. But I will also try with what the video suggested, however, since I park it 'front', it probably wont work best for me. I can try to reverse though, but I would then have a bit less space to open the doors to go out.

Check below how limited space I am dealing with here, requires a touch of magic that I did not damage anything :D
IMG_1724.jpeg

BTW, how reliable would be parking it with a the Phone? Basically, just to move the vehicle 'forward' and I can observe with my eyes before it hits anything. This is available only if FSD is enabled, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindenwood
Summon is still not available on the newer cars without parking sensors. But I would not trust it in such a small space. Mine for some reason turned towards the other car in the garage when I wanted it to just go straight.

You can put some foam or other soft padding at the front wall just for extra protection but I would get one of those parking stop things and/or hang a tennis ball from the ceiling so it just touches your windshield when you’re at the right position.

Attachments

• IMG_6361.png
    IMG_6361.png
    932.8 KB · Views: 4
Check below how limited space I am dealing with here

If you really want prevent hitting the back wall, you could anchor blocks or a bar to the garage floor that the tires hit when you've reached the proper distance from the wall. They could be made sturdily and high enough that it would be near impossible to drive over them at a slow speed. I considered doing this but didn't want to be tripping on the blocks when the car wasn't parked there (and I had enough clearance that allowed for a bit of overshoot after contacting my pool noodle "pylon").

You could probably come up with a way that makes it easy to remove the blocks when desired, such as pins in the blocks that are inserted into holes in the floor to hold the blocks in place at the correct location. Or, you could use bolts or screws in place of pins, that screw into some kind of threads in the floor.

Since the distance to the wall is quite small, you might even be able to make the blocks long enough that they're prevented from moving forward by the back wall itself. This way, they could just lie on the floor or be held in place with very small pins. My rough measurements say they would end up about 2½ feet (75 cm) long or less each, whether sized for pulling in forwards or backwards. I you want to get fancy, come up with a way that the blocks are anchored to the back wall and hinge up against the wall when it's desired to get them off the floor.

Last edited:
Doing it with the phone (if it becomes available again) would be scary. I've done that and worried that it wouldn't stop when to tell it to.

What's with the rebar lattice? Removing that would get you a few more inches, yes? Or you could pad it just in case you hit it.

I am trying to get that 'approved' by our apartment building council. This is my initial plan, I would get definetly few inches, which matter here for easier parking. We have garage 'boxes' that belong to each apartment, but are not really our property, so we need to get it approved. Hopefully this won't take ages or they come up with some excuses as to why not.

If you really want prevent hitting the back wall, you could anchor blocks or a bar to the garage floor that the tires hit when you've reached the proper distance from the wall. They could be made sturdily and high enough that it would be near impossible to drive over them at a slow speed. I considered doing this but didn't want to be tripping on the blocks when the car wasn't parked there (and I had enough clearance that allowed for a bit of overshoot after contacting my pool noodle "pylon").

You could probably come up with a way that makes it easy to remove the blocks when desired, such as pins in the blocks that are inserted into holes in the floor to hold the blocks in place at the correct location. Or, you could use bolts or screws in place of pins, that screw into some kind of threads in the floor.

Since the distance to the wall is quite small, you might even be able to make the blocks long enough that they're prevented from moving forward by the back wall itself. This way, they could just lie on the floor or be held in place with very small pins. My rough measurements say they would end up about 2½ feet (75 cm) long or less each, whether sized for pulling in forwards or backwards. I you want to get fancy, come up with a way that the blocks are anchored to the back wall and hinge up against the wall when it's desired to get them off the floor.
I have done this using a piece of 3/4” plywood! Maybe 6’x2’, it was low enough and heavy enough that I actually didn’t have to affix it to the ground. But, even on 33” tires (on my 4Runner) it was plenty to feel when to stop.
I feel as if I will be forgiven this semi-hijack...

Can the mirrors be folded in for entry into a narrow garage? Or is this function exclusively tied to door-locking?

TIA!
Yes! You can even use the verbal command “fold the mirrors” and “unfold the mirrors.”