Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensors unreliable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a parking sensor issue where the car jumps from green to red "stop" when sitting at the lights and a reasonable distance from the car in front, for example. I took it to my SC and they said this was a known problem and a software update would fix it in Q1 next year.

Mine seem to work great. Very helpful in the garage also. However, I'm very disappointed that it will NOT sense the lower objects--- CURB and those concrete parking BLOCKS! I would think that these would have been some of the most important things. The bottom nose of the car is low and 21" wheels stick out!! I haven't hit anything ( yet :) ) but probably will touch something "low".

I spoke to the service department and they said it would NOT sense these lower objects. Oh well :(

I went the same route as artsci with an OEM retro fit. Two things need to be upgraded IMHO.

1) Both front and rear sensors should operate when reversing.
2) Sensor feedback is too slow and needs to be a little more responsive.

Other than that, they work great and I'm glad I had the job done.

The loaner I have now has the parking sensors (not the new hardware) and the front and rear both operate while reversing.

Also out of curiosity for those that had it done what did the OEM retrofit for the parking sensors end up costing? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to discuss it here, or clog the thread with OT stuff.

The loaner I have now has the parking sensors (not the new hardware) and the front and rear both operate while reversing.

Also out of curiosity for those that had it done what did the OEM retrofit for the parking sensors end up costing? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to discuss it here, or clog the thread with OT stuff.
Interesting. Can you look at the firmware version that you are running?

Interesting. Can you look at the firmware version that you are running?

It's rev 6.0 it's one of the 2.0.xx builds, I'll try to remember to check which one this evening.

Edit:
It is 2.0.77 but it looks like I was mistaken, it's only showing the rear sensors. I didn't look close enough last time since I wasn't actually using them.

Last edited: