Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Parking sensors up on the USA site. $500 for new orders. Also a lot of standard options were pulled out and made ala carte (alcantara, fog lights, etc).

Parking sensor retrofit not listed yet.

Based on what's on the web site, this is a very good implementation of the parking sensors. There must be a front camera, as there is video as well as graphic warnings, and I suspect audible warnings. Too bad a retrofit does not appear to be in the cards for we earlier deliveries.

Based on what's on the web site, this is a very good implementation of the parking sensors. There must be a front camera, as there is video as well as graphic warnings, and I suspect audible warnings. Too bad a retrofit does not appear to be in the cards for we earlier deliveries.
No, that picture is the rear camera -- look closely at the car's silhouette.

It is a very nice implementation, though and IMO surprisingly reasonably priced.

At Teslive, Jerome confirmed a retrofit but also mentioned it would require a new front panel as the sensors are flush mount. Also, some early cars (a small batch) lack the wiring. If you have the wiring harness installed, a retrofit is in the cards possibly but as he noted, it won't be as cheap as one might think given the body panel change requirement.

The new design studio options has increased the price of my already ordered MS by around $4,000. While I'm still bracing for the announced price of a parking sensor retrofit, I guess I could "justify" it if I consider the price I'd be paying for the same car plus sensors today, vs the price I paid last month plus a retrofit.

Note to Tesla: this is NOT an endorsement to charge $4000 for the retrofit!

The new design studio options has increased the price of my already ordered MS by around $4,000. While I'm still bracing for the announced price of a parking sensor retrofit, I guess I could "justify" it if I consider the price I'd be paying for the same car plus sensors today, vs the price I paid last month plus a retrofit.

Note to Tesla: this is NOT an endorsement to charge $4000 for the retrofit!

My guess is $1500. Sign me up.

I just emailed Jerome G at Tesla to see if there was any way to get parking sensors installed on my MS which is at the factory right now, and if not, can I get a retrofit. I am super impressed that he replied personally in a very short amount of time!

"Unfortunately" my car is done, so he replied that they could not add the parking sensor now. But, he did have this to say:

"As such, we cannot install parking sensors at the factory. That said, we will be offering soon a retrofit option, which is compatible with your car. The retrofit is likely to be expensive, as we need a new front and rear fascia, which need to have holes punched in them by a special sonic punch machine installed in Fremont."

So, I don't think we can ask for more confirmation than this, from the Director of Model S programs himself. It's an answer that merges the two themes here: if I read his reply properly, it means park sensors:
1. CAN be retrofitted
2. Needs new fascia for front & rear as the drilling is done in Fremont
3. Therefore can't be done "just" by the local SC, but would need the parts in #2
4. Will be expensive because of that

Now, it's a matter of when it will be formally announced, and how much it will cost, but at least I know it will be possible.

edit: to correct JG's title

One of our club members just had a conversation with a Tesla representative on this subject. He was told that retrofits are being considered and that Tesla would like to get a better grasp of the degree of interest in retrofits. I assume this has to do with economies of scale.

Therefore, it would be helpful if those interested in retrofitting parking sensors communicated this desire to Tesla.

Larry

I've wanted it since the beginning, and really really hoping for a retrofit option. I emailed my local service rep as soon as I heard this option was available (he didn't have any info). I will email ownership too.

I would only get the parking sensor retrofit if it was less than $1500, included blind spot detection, and active cruise control.

anybody with info on active cruise or blind spot detection coming as a software update later if the sensors get put in as a retrofit?

The parking sensors are near field ultrasonic devices which detect objects close to the car. Most active cruise control and blind detection systems use radar. There will not be just a software upgrade to get active cruise control or blind spot detection working (hint: it requires new hardware)

@logan: if there's any chance can you see if your shop will take pictures of the inside of the bumpers? I presume they will be taking them off with installation rather than drilling blindly into something behind the bumper.

If there are pre scored mounting circles, you might want to have them drill it in the same spot. That way in the future, should you decide to install the Tesla sensors, it would be to spec (assuming the hoes are the same size or smaller).

As a bonus for rhe rest of us, pictures would also provide us an opportunity to verify whether or not current bumpers have pre scored holes. As far as I know, other than the front nosecone, there haven't been any other pictures documenting this aspect.