Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking ticket worth a challenge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the USA (at least in New York and New Jersey), if the time the parking ticket was issued is within the timeframe you paid for parking shown on your dashboard receipt, along with submission of an explanation of what happened, the offense is usually dismissed.

In the USA (at least in New York and New Jersey), if the time the parking ticket was issued is within the timeframe you paid for parking shown on your dashboard receipt, along with submission of an explanation of what happened, the offense is usually dismissed.
But this is not USA.

If rules say that it must be displayed - oray that they would acvept this

perhaps you may get lucky if common sense prevails, perhaps your cars cameras caught you buying a ticket and bringing it back to the car - could possibly help your case though there are so many jobsworths about that not complying exactly with the stated terms will probably result in you needing to pay. good luck, got to be worth a try.

Yeah slim to none unfortunately. If you REALLY wanted to go the whole hog and take it through to POPLA you might be able to pull it off, especially if you get help on the forums from the incredibly knowledable guys on there but then it comes down to, is it worth the hassle...

Parked in Porthcawl, it was windy and my ticket was overturned by the wind and I didn’t notice. What are the chances of a challenge. The ticket was visible on the dashboard.
If you discuss the matter in person with the parking supervisor at the town hall, you may get a sympathetic hearing. This is much less likely if you take it up with the parking contractor - assuming parking control has been outsourced.
Good luck.
P.S. We are driving the Y to South Wales on Thursday.

Exact same thing happened to me. Ended up in county court as I refused to pay. Won the case as parking co couldn't prove they had taken a photo of the valid ticket. They had no ID number on the reverse of the ticket.

Commercial parking companies will pursue to county court. Local authority may be more reasonable.

But this is not USA.

If rules say that it must be displayed - oray that they would acvept this
Do UK courts not understand the concept of wind? I’ll bet even a few judges have had a parking receipt flip as the door closes… seems patently unfair since you can prove you paid for the parking. Why would anyone pay for a spot and then not display the receipt properly on the dashboard unless it was an accident? In any case, I wish you good luck in fighting it.

Reactions: Exy1
If it was me I would challenge it, esp. if you paid by credit card - you are in possession of a ticket valid for the time, and proof that you paid (i.e. the ticket is yours, not "borrowed" :) ), I don't think a court will find that you should also pay a fine because the wind had turned the ticket over.

Parking in the UK is a major revue generating business. It is both expensive and ruthlessly managed when outsourced to the private sector.
It is cheaper to park in central Geneva, Switzerland, than in a suburb of London.
Parking in western European countries is generally, in my experience, managed more reasonably. I have even enjoyed free city centre parking during the 12 to 2 pm lunch period - civilised n'est pas.

However, in the UK, local council internal parking managers can be reasoned with and are less likely to go to court if their appeals process is followed. To ignore the fine can prove expensive and is not advised.

We sadly live in a country where the rich get richer, the poor get poorer and our leadership is infused with lying, cheating, money grabbing scum who will do anything for money.

The parking scam is utterly unreal and more and more scams emerge as they come up with them. If I think I’m in the right, I fight them. Not lost yet. Don’t take any crap. Don’t bow to policy, or terms. Take everything back to law, legality and what will stand in court. FIGHT IT 👍🏻

The discussion here does make a significant difference if it’s a council car park operated under bye-laws or a civil matter with a private parking company. Whilst the appeal process might appear similar the law is quite different.