Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Part of my left side headlight is out.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
When driving the 3 in daytime, even with all the headlights turned off, that section at the top of the headlight remains lit, with that narrow but really bright band of light along its lower edge.

On my left headlight, that bright band isn't lighting.

I noticed it in traffic a few days ago, when seeing my lights shining on the back of the car in front of me, and I had someone sit in my car today and change the lights between different settings and I confirmed it today.

I called my local service center today, and it said the wait time was 30+ minutes, so I left a message.

Same as above. My car (19xxx VIN) had its glass roof replaced two weeks ago. I had shared pictures of the signature strip as I knew a service visit was on cards. The service advisor brought the service tech for his expert's opinion as the former couldn't see it in bright day light. The service tech agreed and Tesla replaced the entire headlight assembly (passenger's side) on my car.

It may help to send your local service center a few pictures before hand, also to make sure they have that part in stock. Many parts are known to have a bit of a wait, depending on where you are.

I had mine replaced within one day. I took it into the center in Santa Clara, CA. I drove a rental Chevy around...so happy to get the car back.

It no longer has a perma-wink.

just take a pic when you are behind a car and see the reflection, but most centers know this is an issue with some headlight assemblies.

I took my 3 up to the Wexford service center today and got it taken care of. They took 2 hours to fix it. They changed the left headlight assembly and updated the firmware for the BMS.

In the meantime, I walked around and looked at everything. There had to be 30 Model 3's there waiting for delivery, my 3 won for low VIN of the bunch, although one was close with a VIN in the 015000's. I watched a car carrier unload a full load of 3's, the truck driver said they are shipped by train to Chicago and Birmingham, and trucks take them the rest of the way. I saw a lot of VINs in the 86000 and 88000 ranges, with one at 100400-something. A couple employees told me they are delivering 50-80 Model 3's per week now, much more than when I got mine on May 8th.

They had a red P3D for test drives, so I asked someone if I could get a test ride in it. They said it had to be scheduled online, which I knew. So about 10 minutes later I asked another person and got the RIGHT answer. My main concerns were how fast the P3D was compared to my RWD LR, and how rough a ride did the 20 inch wheels give. None of the roads we went on were very bumpy, but it didn't feel too rough, and the 0-60 was definitely faster, it scoots to 60 before you know what happened!

The guy who went on the test ride with me was kind of new, he was trying to tell me how all AWD cars has 3 motors, so I explained it is only the Roadster 2, not every AWD Tesla. You'd think these people would know more about the cars their company has.

I noticed that most of the 3's coming in had the 19 inch wheels, which looked good. Kind of makes me wish I had gotten 19s, but not at $1500!!! When I can grab a set of 4 used 19 inch factory wheels for $50 or so each, maybe.

The service guys showed me how my tires were at 5/32 on the fronts and 1/32 on the rears with 13000 miles, but that'll be another topic.

Last edited: