Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger Side Mirror Glass Popped Out - Parts Prices are Ridiculous!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to post this for people on the forums. So, my wife has had her Model 3 for 13 months now. We had our fair share of issues but most of them were taken care of post delivery or thru warranty.

Wife's car:
Model 3 is a 2018 Long Range Dual Motor.

So... my wife left for work like she usually does around 6:30 am. I get a call around 6:40 am with my wife saying the passenger side mirror fell off. I'm thinking she must of hit something and the whole housing was hanging on by it's wires. Images of the side mirror housing hitting the side of the door as she was driving, kept running thru my mind. I was going to meet her but she finally called back and said she was able to disconnect the wires.

She gets home and I go out to look at the car. Only the glass looks like it popped off and broke. I look around the whole housing and I don't see any issues. There was no damage anywhere on the housing. I asked my wife to see if she hit anything or heard anything. She just remembers hearing something and when she looked over to see the glass hanging off. She said it was hard to remove the glass because she didn't know how to remove the connectors. As I looked inside the housing, I noticed that the circular part of the actuator was cracked. The actuator is what the mirror attaches to.

I called Tesla service to see if they had any issues like mine. They said it was odd and they don't have any service calls like ours but they would send out a mobile service tech. The service appointment was about a week out so I decided to see what it would cost to just replace that parts myself.

I emailed Tesla parts and this is what they email me:

Ext Mirror Glass, Premium, Domestic, RH M3 (1130652-00-A) = $90.00

EXT MIRROR ELEC-MECH PREMIUM DOM. RH M3 (1110778-99-H) = $385.00

SPECIAL ORDER 48-72 HOURS OUT $35.00 FREIGHT

I know Tesla parts are expensive but this is a little much. I did a little research and found the parts for way cheaper. I went on ebay and bought a used mirror for $70 shipped. I then looked up the part number that was on the actuator and found it for $35 shipped. Seems like the actuator is a part for Chevy, Buick, Cadillac, GMC cars. Install was very easy.

Finally, the mobile tech came by and took a look at the issue. He took a few pictures and sent them to his supervisor. The supervisor said that they would have goodwilled the mirror only if the actuator wasn't cracked.

I'm sure not all parts are easy to find but it doesn't hurt to look at the parts for part numbers and do a quick Google search.

Attachments

• glass.jpg
    glass.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 369
  • actuator.jpg
    actuator.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 316
Yeah, it's hard to take off. Not sure when the actuator broke but could be the reason it popped off so easy. I never did anything to the housing or did any upgrades to it.

Maybe it had a hairline crack from the factory and it just got worse over time ? There was another post a while back on this forum, where another Model 3 owner noticed his side mirror glass became detached.

Tesla did you a solid by sending you the part numbers.

Why did you still have a mobile technician come out to your house if you fixed it yourself?

The part numbers were internal part numbers. There are part numbers on the actual parts themselves. Always need to cross reference the part numbers or do a search to see if there are are numbers. Up to 5 different part numbers came up on the actuator since it's used in different cars.

I called mobile service for my battery issues and told them about the mirror. I didn't fix the mirror until they came out to see it. I was hoping there was a chance they would warranty some or all of it. When they told me they couldn't cover it, I ordered the parts and fixed it myself. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Reactions: tvad
I was always surprised on how much these online parts suppliers charge for shipping... I ordered an OBDII Port cover for my Acura from an online Acura-Honda parts supplier. The actual part was about $2.45 and weighed only a few ounces, but I was charged $13.50 for shipping...

Reactions: MaxSpeedM3
Wanted to post this for people on the forums. So, my wife has had her Model 3 for 13 months now. We had our fair share of issues but most of them were taken care of post delivery or thru warranty.

Wife's car:
Model 3 is a 2018 Long Range Dual Motor.

So... my wife left for work like she usually does around 6:30 am. I get a call around 6:40 am with my wife saying the passenger side mirror fell off. I'm thinking she must of hit something and the whole housing was hanging on by it's wires. Images of the side mirror housing hitting the side of the door as she was driving, kept running thru my mind. I was going to meet her but she finally called back and said she was able to disconnect the wires.

She gets home and I go out to look at the car. Only the glass looks like it popped off and broke. I look around the whole housing and I don't see any issues. There was no damage anywhere on the housing. I asked my wife to see if she hit anything or heard anything. She just remembers hearing something and when she looked over to see the glass hanging off. She said it was hard to remove the glass because she didn't know how to remove the connectors. As I looked inside the housing, I noticed that the circular part of the actuator was cracked. The actuator is what the mirror attaches to.

I called Tesla service to see if they had any issues like mine. They said it was odd and they don't have any service calls like ours but they would send out a mobile service tech. The service appointment was about a week out so I decided to see what it would cost to just replace that parts myself.

I emailed Tesla parts and this is what they email me:

Ext Mirror Glass, Premium, Domestic, RH M3 (1130652-00-A) = $90.00

EXT MIRROR ELEC-MECH PREMIUM DOM. RH M3 (1110778-99-H) = $385.00

SPECIAL ORDER 48-72 HOURS OUT $35.00 FREIGHT

I know Tesla parts are expensive but this is a little much. I did a little research and found the parts for way cheaper. I went on ebay and bought a used mirror for $70 shipped. I then looked up the part number that was on the actuator and found it for $35 shipped. Seems like the actuator is a part for Chevy, Buick, Cadillac, GMC cars. Install was very easy.

Finally, the mobile tech came by and took a look at the issue. He took a few pictures and sent them to his supervisor. The supervisor said that they would have goodwilled the mirror only if the actuator wasn't cracked.

I'm sure not all parts are easy to find but it doesn't hurt to look at the parts for part numbers and do a quick Google search.
What???
Why isn't this covered under warranty if she didn't damage it. If it just fell apart for no reason, why don't they cover this? I don't get it.

Reactions: milleron