Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger side window crack - any experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did a search and doesn't seem to have come up before in the UK, so thought I'd check in here.

Sod's law, had the Model 3 less than a week and we woke up today to find the passenger side window has big crack in it. :mad: We're guessing that a truck has come by during the night and flicked up a huge stone that has pinged straight into the side of the car. I suppose I should be happy that it isn't in the bodywork.

I've seen plenty on windscreens but was wondering if anyone on here has had a side window replaced/repaired? I'm presuming its covered by the insurer similar to a windscreen crack, but is it the sort of thing you'd trust autoglass with? Or would you be going direct to Tesla? I don't really wanting to be forking out £300+ directly.....

Mine is the new 2021 model which I think has the double paned glass so I'm guessing I need to ensure any replacement that occurs is done to that spec?

Windscreen cover, despite its name, almost always covers all windows.

Autoglass ought to be able to fit it without issue, but they'll need to get the glass from Tesla anyway. The only complication with fitting the glass is alignment, but that's easily manipulated.

If there is an impact mark then try your insurance, otherwise if there is no obvious impact it maybe something tesla replace under warranty. Though i'd think there is less chance of it being stress related for a passenger window, normally it happens on one of the windows where there is considerably less movement allowed (any non moving glass in the car).

Thanks all.

It looks like a stone has been flicked up and impacted into the side of it I'd guess - the mark is smack bang in the middle so would be surprised if it was stress related.

Good to know re: insurance treating it similar to windscreen - had plenty of windscreen chips over the years but never deal with a side window before!

Presumably sentry cameras didn't record anything?

(In a parallel universe, we were able to identify a truck which knocked our gatepost over as it was recorded on a Ring doorbell).
No I don't tend to turn sentry on at home as we have a Nest Doorbell Camera similar to you, but nothing untoward was picked up on that anyway.

Just as a general update - I contacted Autoglass to get it booked in. All good, said they would get in touch as the window was on backorder from Tesla.

3 weeks later, still waiting - they've updated to say they are waiting for Tesla but have no ETA on when it might come into stock.

So my advice would be, make sure you don't get broken into via your door windows as you'd be waiting a very long time for a replacement!

Not great, is it. Stuff like that should be on hand from the moment the cars are delivered to customers in that spec.

I've had a heated steering wheel on order for nearly 2 months and have been told that there are "none in Europe". I assume it is conceivable that someone has taken delivery of a car with a mark or some other damage to theirs, and are having to wait months for a replacement?

Yeah, its quite worrying - I did wonder whether it was just a Tesla-Autoglass comms issue and if you went to Tesla direct, they might magically have it in stock, but your situation with the heated steering wheel probably puts paid to that theory.

They really need to sort it out as I imagine things like this also drive up insurance costs for Tesla's if parts take so long to come through - for more serious accidents, the associated costs of putting people in hire cars probably makes every claim massively inflated.

Not a side window but the top glass. Reported early March and given a date of 22 Mar by the app. That was then pushed back a week every week and is now 4 May. The problem is that they do not keep stock at the SC and the delivery keeps being put back.

Crack_1.JPG

Similar story for me today. No impacts that I was aware of while driving my 21my Model3. Car parked in a quiet residential spot, came back to a cracked passenger window. No other damage. I’ve already had the roof glass replaced under warranty. So mystery, vandal or fracture??

Tesla probably get Autoglass to do glass replacement- unless anyone knows any different. Ford certainly did when I took delivery of a new car with a faulty rear screen heater. The Autoglass technician was subsequently sacked for leaving the tailgate full of broken glass, the paintwork scratched and the rear wiper disconnected!
To be fair Autoglass recently replaced my M3 windscreen and did an excellent job.

Similar story for me today. No impacts that I was aware of while driving my 21my Model3. Car parked in a quiet residential spot, came back to a cracked passenger window. No other damage. I’ve already had the roof glass replaced under warranty. So mystery, vandal or fracture??

That's interesting, to be honest I haven't bothered pursuing that angle as its £70 excess at the end of the day. I can imagine far more time being wasted arguing with Tesla over whether it was fracture.... Also, I hope you are ready for a long wait for repair

It's been over 2 months since I booked an appointment with Autoglass to get mine repaired and they are still telling me it is out of stock with no ETA for it coming back into stock.

At this rate, it probably won't even be repaired in time for hand back to the lease company (a year and a 9 months away!) 😄

2 months for a replacement passenger side window 😧 imagine if it had been smashed due to a break in? Are you supposed to drive around with no window for 2 months?

Exactly! That's what I said to Autoglass, but apparently there is a temporary plastic cover they can put in place if such an eventuality were to arise.

How that practically works with frameless doors however is another matter.....

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
Hi all,
I am french, and own a model3 for 3 months
I just experienced a passenger glass crack, with no reason (car is stored in my garage)
only one of the two glass is cracked (the outside one)
asked for a ranger appointment, he should come in a week,; keep you informed

Attachments

• 20210620_194932.jpg
    20210620_194932.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 291
Hi all,
I am french, and own a model3 for 3 months
I just experienced a passenger glass crack, with no reason (car is stored in my garage)
only one of the two glass is cracked (the outside one)
asked for a ranger appointment, he should come in a week,; keep you informed

Interesting. Looks like a flaw to me. I presume from your description that you have the new double layer glass and the crack is only on one side. (Many years ago I had a new car with toughened glass door windows ... both exploded ... one went first and then the other a couple of days later! No indication of damage and the second one exploded whilst I was driving along so I know it wasn't somebody trying to break into the vehicle.)