Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passing Lane Issue on Model Y FSD 2022.4.5.21

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got back from a road trip from North Carolina to New Jersey, and back, in my 2022 Model Y with FSD. I am on version 2022.4.5.21.

I noticed a few quirks that were really perplexing. I was traveling down a divided highway, two lanes in each direction. I had nobody in front of me and yet the car kept moving into the left lane. The speed limit was 55. I was doing 60 in the right lane and the car kept moving to the left lane. The other weird thing was that I have the options set to confirm lane change. This means I need to move the stalk to confirm the lane change. However the car did a lane change on its own without any confirmation, I had to override the lane change by disengaging the autosteer. This behavior was rather disturbing. Unwanted or unneeded lane changes and failure to wait for confirmation

As an aside, the self park is totally useless as not matter how many times I drive at 10 MPH through a parking lot it never finds a spot by displaying a (P) on the screen So self parking is a no go at this time. And we still have an issue with phantom breaking where the car will slow down from 60 to less than 30 for no obvious reason. My wife hates when I activate any of the self driving features due to the jerkiness and unpredictable nature of the driving experience.

• Funny
Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG
I just got back from a road trip from North Carolina to New Jersey, and back, in my 2022 Model Y with FSD. I am on version 2022.4.5.21.

I noticed a few quirks that were really perplexing. I was traveling down a divided highway, two lanes in each direction. I had nobody in front of me and yet the car kept moving into the left lane. The speed limit was 55. I was doing 60 in the right lane and the car kept moving to the left lane. The other weird thing was that I have the options set to confirm lane change. This means I need to move the stalk to confirm the lane change. However the car did a lane change on its own without any confirmation, I had to override the lane change by disengaging the autosteer. This behavior was rather disturbing. Unwanted or unneeded lane changes and failure to wait for confirmation

As an aside, the self park is totally useless as not matter how many times I drive at 10 MPH through a parking lot it never finds a spot by displaying a (P) on the screen So self parking is a no go at this time. And we still have an issue with phantom breaking where the car will slow down from 60 to less than 30 for no obvious reason. My wife hates when I activate any of the self driving features due to the jerkiness and unpredictable nature of the driving experience.
That's why it is still in beta testing and you agreed to it when you bought the FSD package.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG
Was this FSD beta driving or TACC/AP/NoA? (You can tell based on the car-view display, when its TACC/AP/NoA the display will revery to the old gray-only lane display.) My guess is that FSF beta was driving, which does NOT require lane change confirmation (the various lane change options only apply to TACC/AP/NoA)

I have these EXACT issues with my model Y. I stopped using the beta FSD because soon after I turn on FSD it immediately moves to the left lane. Even when no one is in front of me. I understand the automatic lane change with FSD but do not understand WHY it is changing to the left lane when it does not need to change lanes.

I have these EXACT issues with my model Y. I stopped using the beta FSD because soon after I turn on FSD it immediately moves to the left lane. Even when no one is in front of me. I understand the automatic lane change with FSD but do not understand WHY it is changing to the left lane when it does not need to change lanes.
Is this with FSD or AP doing the driving? That is, do you see the "colorful" road display (with red road edges) or the older gray display? FSD will hand over to "good old" AP when on a freeway. It its FSD you should report it to Tesla (use the button). In either case, this may be a map error.

As of Dec 2022, with FSD, still constantly "moving out of the right hand lane" on non-expressway 4 lane roads (2 lanes each way), with no one in front of me in right hand lane. I no longer use FSD with anyone else in car on the non-expressway 4 lane roads, since I am constantly fighting the system. I have speed set to 10% over speed limit. As others noted in other threads, the action occurs even when someone is approaching from behind in the left lane. The larger issue is that the car tries to automatically move to the left lane, and I have to cancel using the turn signal quickly to stop the action. I always use the setting whereby I have to confirm the lane change, which works on expressways, but the car changes lanes without confirmation on non-expressway multi-lane roads. The car should not change lanes without my confirmation, but it happens all the time with both "moving out of right hand lane" and "changing lane to follow route" (when a lane change is not needed for many miles or never). It is a bug, not a feature, not related to exits, merge lanes, or other excuses. In my Model Y, I have been dealing with it for 20,000 miles over the past year. I have announced "Bug Report" more times than I can count. I keep hoping it will be fixed with next update. I am hoping someone at Tesla looks at these forums. (I still use FSD a lot, including Miami to Seattle round trip and 3 round trips from Miami to Maryland thus far in 2022, but keep hoping the system will improve more quickly relative to fixable issues.)

Reactions: Aikidoka