Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paying over the weekend - ACH on Sat/Sun?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So apparently my car is still in transit and won't be ready for pickup tomorrow (par for the course I suppose). Rescheduled for a weekend delivery now.

Perhaps a dumb question: can you pay via ACH on a Saturday or Sunday? How does that actually work when you're at the delivery center?

I don't want to pay in advance via the website portal in case there are issues with the car that require me to refuse delivery.

A lot of people report being allowed to initiate the ACH payment at the time they take delivery. I don't know why Tesla would allow that, since ACH takes at least one business day to clear, but I've seen enough reports that I believe it.

A lot of people report being allowed to initiate the ACH payment at the time they take delivery. I don't know why Tesla would allow that, since ACH takes at least one business day to clear, but I've seen enough reports that I believe it.

That's what I was wondering as well. Seems like a big risk. How do they even know you sent it... do they watch you submit it?

That's what I was wondering as well. Seems like a big risk. How do they even know you sent it... do they watch you submit it?

Yeah, I think they have you log into your account on their website and submit routing/account number and authorize the payment. You're definitely on the hook legally for the payment, but they won't know until the next day if the payment clears.

They seem pretty cavalier about it. From their perspective, the risk is pretty low, I think. They have GPS tracking of your car and could remotely disable it if they needed to.

Yeah, I think they have you log into your account on their website and submit routing/account number and authorize the payment. You're definitely on the hook legally for the payment, but they won't know until the next day if the payment clears.

They seem pretty cavalier about it. From their perspective, the risk is pretty low, I think. They have GPS tracking of your car and could remotely disable it if they needed to.

I wonder why Tesla won't take personal paper checks, but ACH is ok. The two methods are similar in how they clear the bank.

I wonder why Tesla won't take personal paper checks, but ACH is ok. The two methods are similar in how they clear the bank.

San Diego delivery center said paper personal checks are just fine. Just check with your local delivery center.

I paid by ACH through my account today. Received an email from Tesla within 5 minutes confirming payment. Account now shows $0 due (was updated within 30 minutes). Seems like Tesla has the payment part of the transaction all dialed in...go figure!

San Diego delivery center said paper personal checks are just fine. Just check with your local delivery center.

I paid by ACH through my account today. Received an email from Tesla within 5 minutes confirming payment. Account now shows $0 due (was updated within 30 minutes). Seems like Tesla has the payment part of the transaction all dialed in...go figure!

Cashiers checks are paper checks. I doubt they will take personal checks. Way to high a chance of them bouncing. Although bouncing personal check for a Tesla in California could be expensive with treble damages being just the beginning.

Just got my notice for my delivery tomorrow. It clearly stated that personal check is fine.

This is to confirm that we have you scheduled to pick up your Tesla tomorrow (9/21) at 6 PM!

Once the final paperwork is prepared, you will be able to review the documents through your My Tesla page and a Pay Now button will appear allowing you to make final payment by ACH from your bank account. Or you can just bring a check with you to the delivery. Personal check is fine.

I’ve actually seen ACH clear the same day and I’ve also seen an insitutation use ACH information to check your balance in advance before trying to run the transaction, though neither of these apply to Tesla from what I’ve seen. Don’t expect to have the transaction clear until then next banking day, so ACH on weekends are fine.

So... when I took delivery of my vehicle, I did financing through Tesla with a 20% down payment. They didn't even verify that I had paid the down payment online or asked for a check or verify ACH before I left the lot with the car. I wondered how long it would have taken them to notice...

But after a full week had passed and not hearing anything from Tesla about the missing deposit, I logged into my Tesla account and couldn't find where to do the ACH transfer. Luckily, I kept where that URL was and it worked fine. I finally entered in my details and the next day, it was debited from my checking account.

• Informative
Reactions: MikeATL
I received a step today to confirm all of my information which I did. The next step is payment only offering ACH. I had planned on taking a certified check. Do I just ignore the ACH request?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180920-225124_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20180920-225124_Samsung Internet.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 226
So apparently my car is still in transit and won't be ready for pickup tomorrow (par for the course I suppose). Rescheduled for a weekend delivery now.

Perhaps a dumb question: can you pay via ACH on a Saturday or Sunday? How does that actually work when you're at the delivery center?

I don't want to pay in advance via the website portal in case there are issues with the car that require me to refuse delivery.
I went to CO SC today and asked them if it'd be ok to initiate my ACH on Sat after I see my car. They said fine, whatever makes me feel comfortable, but I can't be sure the same applies to CA.

I had planned on taking a certified check. Do I just ignore the ACH request?
They can’t tell if you are planning to ACH at the last minute vs having the certified check, so I think you’re fine ignoring that message (technically you’re paying before delivery...even if only 1 second before!)

I assume the check is your money.... not a secured loan? ...because if a loan, then you’d have provided different answers.