Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Peeling yoke replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been waiting to the new yoke to come , with better material.

Could this article be true?

Maybe, my SC said that the v3 of the yoke isn't coming out until October, it begins manufacturing September 31st.

We've all heard BS from SCs.

Reactions: aerodyne
They are reusing your existing airbag when doing the Yoke replacements, so the seam will be the same.

It isn't clear if this one is re-designed new (was expected in October) or just a more recent model than the original which may still have the peeling problem.
This is the reddit thread:
I have a feeling the OP on Reddit just got a replacement of the current version.

Reactions: morbidz
I am on my 1st replacement and it is wearing out again and Tesla is refusing to replace it under warranty, saying that I already had 1

20230724_074654.jpg
replacement..
They are wanting $1100 to give the "soon to be peeling again" version of the Yoke
Any suggestions?

I'd wait for this theoretical new version that is in the works if you can. Its an optimistic view, but they may change their mind about charging for a replacement if they have a known good version to supply that ends the issue. Tesla has been super inconsistent on warranty vs. "good will" service, so who knows. If they still refuse, you can talk to a lawyer about a small claims court action against the cost to replace. A few people appeared to be successful due to Tesla not contesting the action for the lower RAM / no Steam in earlier Plaid era cars.

Reactions: Evee and Matezz
I'd wait for this theoretical new version that is in the works if you can. Its an optimistic view, but they may change their mind about charging for a replacement if they have a known good version to supply that ends the issue. Tesla has been super inconsistent on warranty vs. "good will" service, so who knows. If they still refuse, you can talk to a lawyer about a small claims court action against the cost to replace. A few people appeared to be successful due to Tesla not contesting the action for the lower RAM / no Steam in earlier Plaid era cars.
Thank you. Speaking of lower ram/SSD and no steam, I am in the same boat :). Just never considered the upgrade as I have good gaming rig already.

I am on my 1st replacement and it is wearing out again and Tesla is refusing to replace it under warranty, saying that I already had 1

View attachment 967818 replacement..
They are wanting $1100 to give the "soon to be peeling again" version of the Yoke
Any suggestions?
I paid under $550 for this, real leather and carbon fiber. I'm just saying...

Attachments

• IMG_8161.jpeg
    IMG_8161.jpeg
    602.2 KB · Views: 199

View attachment 967818 replacement..
Any suggestions?
I'll sell you mine (installed in Feb, used for about 5 months, still in new condition), for $750 including shipping.

Attachments

• IMG_8451.jpg
    IMG_8451.jpg
    486.5 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_8452.jpg
    IMG_8452.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_8453.jpg
    IMG_8453.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 132
I’m current sitting at my Tesla Service center waiting for my vehicle. One of my concerns was the peeling yoke. I was told that a new revision with better materials will be out in November. I was given the option to pay for replacement if I wanted it done today or I could wait for the better one and have it replaced under warranty later.

Attachments

• IMG_4729.jpeg
    IMG_4729.jpeg
    461.4 KB · Views: 140
Reactions: smoak5
I’m current sitting at my Tesla Service center waiting for my vehicle. One of my concerns was the peeling yoke. I was told that a new revision with better materials will be out in November. I was given the option to pay for replacement if I wanted it done today or I could wait for the better one and have it replaced under warranty later.
That’s the same problem I am having and location. Of course the photo is when I first noticed it and it was gotten larger. Tesla obviously is aware of this problem. Wonder if a class action is warranted?

Attachments

• IMG_7655.jpeg
    IMG_7655.jpeg
    307.7 KB · Views: 124
Why such a rush to class action? It appears to require a redesign, which is about to be released. So far it's covered under warranty. Seems 99% of class actions return a $2 discount on a future purchase, while the lawyers make millions. Such a scam.

Reactions: Yelobird
Yup. Mine started to peel a couple of months ago. Tesla canceled my service appointment twice already. They finally reached out to me last week and said that the current yoke has been discontinued, and a new version is set to arrive in April and for me to request replacement at the end of March. We'll see!

Reactions: zoomer0056
FYI, I stopped by the Nashville Service Center today to inquire about the status of the new yoke. I was told that it was due this month and that they had stopped providing the old yokes. I submitted a service ticket for a peeling yoke and received a call from a Tesla tech almost immediately. He said that they had started installing the new yokes but quickly determined that the new yokes had "durability" problems also and they stopped installing them. He said it would be at least into the 2d quarter before they would have a replacement. Bummer

• Informative
Reactions: JER85