Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PEM Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much would a PEM cost out of warranty?

According to this post:

What's gone wrong with your Roadster?

Very useful and a bit scary thread! For the replacement/new item (PEM/battery) discussion, the information below from Tesla Motors (sent late 2011) might be useful:

"The cost of the US PEM would be $16,713.48USD. Upon receiving your old PEM back, we would proceed to refund you half of the funds as a core return. The PEM would have to be in good condition, repairable, and not damaged in any way by shipping or outside influences. The warranty label/seal would also have to be intact upon receipt. Upon receipt of your old PEM in good condition, we would credit you $8,356.74USD. "

That is without labor to install, but from watching the Techs it is about a 30 minute job to swap out PEM's.

Roadster just died with power train error. Tesla Burlingame told me it's something with the PEM and that "unfortunately they don't open up the PEM" and so it'll be $10k for a new one. So I want to register this experience here. Some people claim to have been charged $10 by Tesla to fix the PEM, another had the fortune of having JB Straubel nearby who simply popped the PEM open and replaced a fuse, and others have just been told to pay the $10,000. I am, unfortunately, being put in that last category.

The Roadster PEM is a three phase inverter. Like any electronic equipment moving around large amounts of energy, there are predictable failure points including electrolytic capacitors, IGBT's,
and some questionable design issues such as under-rated resistors. Gruber Power Services has 30+ years servicing Uninterruptible Power Systems (UPS's) which are functionally identical to the
EV inverters, taking DC energy from strings of batteries and feeding the inverter, which keeps a Data Center running. They have successfully migrated to upgrading and repairing Roadster PEMs.

Someone pointed out earlier independents are emerging and will be vital to create a competitive climate to keep Tesla from gouging or ignoring their first customers - The Roadster owners.

Check out Gruber Power Services. They repair PEMs and charge only for failed components and labor, usually WAY less the $10K.
They also remanufacture PEMs replacing known wear components such as Electrolytic caps, Relays, etc. Their experience with inverters (PEMs) eclipses even Tesla Motors having been in the inverter repair business for over 3 decades.

Check out Gruber Power Services. They repair PEMs and charge only for failed components and labor, usually WAY less the $10K.
They also remanufacture PEMs replacing known wear components such as Electrolytic caps, Relays, etc. Their experience with inverters (PEMs) eclipses even Tesla Motors having been in the inverter repair business for over 3 decades.
always good to have more options but I cannot get the answer to the question whether tesla will service the car after the PEM is changed with third party one or even tampered with or repaired by third party

You probably should mention that you're CEO of Gruber Power Services, according to your profile & not just some random satisfied customer.

Screen Shot 2016-02-07 at 7.21.21 AM.png

• Funny
Reactions: DeedWest
You probably should mention that you're CEO of Gruber Power Services, according to your profile & not just some random satisfied customer.

attachment.php?attachmentid=110629.png

This is getting shadier by the minute. I started to give theses guys the benefit of the doubt, but spamming people and then this. Its getting over the top and to the point of possibly being banned from this site. This is highly unethical in my opinion.

Simples - advertising should be paid for !
or
like Henry sharp does - services / parts knowledge spread by reputation / word of mouth to a website.

I have no problem with alternative Tesla parts and suppliers, indeed would encourage them, and then let real customer experiences pass on feedback.
Message to Gruber: simply do good work, share knowledge, be transparent and your reputation will benefit.