Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pencils down in 6 weeks - Model 3 design work nearly finished

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He said pencils down in 6 weeks on June 2'nd so I guess July 14'th is 6 weeks.
I wouldn't worry too much about the exact date. I'd rather he take take a bit more time to button up the design and engineering rather than to call it good enough because of something he said at a conference. Also, he said pecils down in 'about 6 weeks' - gave himself a bit of wiggle room.

I wouldn't worry too much about the exact date. I'd rather he take take a bit more time to button up the design and engineering rather than to call it good enough because of something he said at a conference. Also, he said pecils down in 'about 6 weeks' - gave himself a bit of wiggle room.

Agreed, get it right. Everyone is so excited to hear that things are progressing (myself included), but I'd rather wait an extra month to two for a better designed car.

he
Did you have a source for this as I've missed this one. Or do you mean the "The new secret plan" Elon tweeted about?
I tried to copy image from his Twitter, but didn't work, but he tweeted on July 10 "Working on secret Tesla master plan, part 2, hoping to publish later this week". It could however just be a date for the part 2 reveal, but ill be anxiously waiting :)

Update is coming later this week for "part 2" of model 3, im thinking that it will also have some updates on the final version that is supposedly completed around this week...
I don't believe that the "Tesla Secret Master Plan, part 2" is going to have anything to do with the Model 3. I'm betting that this plan is going to concentrate on Tesla Energy, and how a buyout of Solar City will fit in & allow Tesla to further ween us off of oil and coal.

I don't believe that the "Tesla Secret Master Plan, part 2" is going to have anything to do with the Model 3. I'm betting that this plan is going to concentrate on Tesla Energy, and how a buyout of Solar City will fit in & allow Tesla to further ween us off of oil and coal.

I agree, BUT....since it seemed as if Part 1 of the Master Plan had different pieces, I'll agree with others who've mentioned the possibility of mobility...as well as autonomy.

I think Tesla is going to share their "fine-print" mapping that AP-enabled Teslas have come up with so far, in an effort to make autonomous driving safer, and potentially have interconnected autonomous vehicles all talking the same "language" some day.

The Master Plan will be multi-faceted, and beneficial to everyone if it can be pulled off.

Reactions: Red Sage
I do think we should remember Tesla's often purpose: To accelerate the transition to sustainable transport/energy.
Autonomy and ride share are not the big drivers here. Adoption of solar and BEV are.
Since the master plan is not detail oriented features,etc need not be included.
Pickup trucks constitute the largest ICE segment and since they also have the poorest fuel economy/emissions, I think they must be included. They will need to be a few years away because the battery tech must be good enough for one to tow a 5000 lb trailer 200+ miles. Currently it is not.
Solar bundled with a new car will happen, I'm just not sure how Elon includes solar in the master plan, but somehow I think he will.

I do think we should remember Tesla's often purpose: To accelerate the transition to sustainable transport/energy.
Autonomy and ride share are not the big drivers here. Adoption of solar and BEV are.
Pickup trucks constitute the largest ICE segment and since they also have the poorest fuel economy/emissions, I think they must be included. They will need to be a few years away because the battery tech must be good enough for one to tow a 5000 lb trailer 200+ miles. Currently it is not.
Solar bundled with a new car will happen, I'm just not sure how Elon includes solar in the master plan, but somehow I think he will.

While autonomy and ride share aren't the end game, they are a way to get us there. It would help those who currently have to rely on others (the elderly, or sick, or otherwise unable to drive) to have access to clean and reliable transportation. Replace a lot of the local chair vans and taxis with EV equivalents, and you've added another layer of EV adoption.

Could enough people afford the pick up truck to make a difference?

Could enough people afford the pick up truck to make a difference?

Sure. Have you looked at the price of new trucks? A F150 supercab starts at $39,000. Bigger trucks are in the 60-80 range.

The reason people get beefier trucks is horsepower and torque (F450 (starting at $53,000 and up to $75,000) has 440 hp and 860 ft-lb torque) A model X has 532 hp and 713 ft-lb torque. Think of what Tesla could do if they were trying to design a truck.

Thank you kindly.

Sure. Have you looked at the price of new trucks? A F150 supercab starts at $39,000. Bigger trucks are in the 60-80 range.

The reason people get beefier trucks is horsepower and torque (F450 (starting at $53,000 and up to $75,000) has 440 hp and 860 ft-lb torque) A model X has 532 hp and 713 ft-lb torque. Think of what Tesla could do if they were trying to design a truck.

Thank you kindly.

There are also a lot more ways to write off a pickup truck purchase for business than a car purchase.

It would help those who currently have to rely on others (the elderly, or sick, or otherwise unable to drive) to have access to clean and reliable transportation.

Lots of time those groups need human help also. It's not uncommon for taxi drivers (at least around here) help elderly with carrying groceries etc. I would think younger people would benefit more from autonomous vehicles.