Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Percentage vs Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time Tesla owner here. I had it on miles for the first week (had the car since Sept) and was very comfortable having it on miles. Decided to try out the percentage and never looked back. It just makes more sense for me and you just gota try it to really understand why it might be better. On my previous cars I had a gas gauge and i never used the “miles remaining” indicator. The percentage to me is kinda like my gas gauge. Half a tank left = 50% battery, 1/4 tank = 25% battery.

Also like what many people have been saying about the miles. It’s not a accurate number. Let’s say a full charge is 325 miles. When the battery is at 50%, does that mean the car has 162.5 miles left? If the answer is no, then why have it on miles?

If the car says x % how many more miles can you drive?
If the car says x miles how many more miles can you drive?

What's better is whatever makes it easier for you to do the math.

Reactions: mark95476
Another thing to keep in mind is that regardless of whether you choose % or miles, actual performance is highly dependent on travel conditions. One month ago I took a 60 mile drive; the temp was 65F, my average speed was 47 mph, and my average consumption was 262 wh/mi. Today I did the same drive; the temp was 32F, my average speed was 33 mph, there was a significant snow storm in progress (hence the slow speed), and my average consumption was a whopping 448 wh/mi. The gauge was useless and I had to stop and charge despite both Tesla nav and ABRP suggesting I’d make it home with 12-18% remaining. If I hadn’t charged I would have hit 0 just as I got to my house (at best). The effects of cold weather are well known of course, but it was a stark reminder to over-budget and not put too much faith in the gauge. That’s why I chuckle when I see folks getting all worked up about seeing 5 more miles of range on the meter at full charge after an update that delivers an efficiency boost. Not that I wouldn’t take it, of course!

Reactions: Big Earl
I have tried both and find it mentally easier to look at miles. I understand that I may not achieve that mileage if I drive at 80 or if it’s very cold, but it gives me a better mental image of what the car has available.

Keep in mind that my commute is 60 miles each way. If I don’t have 100 miles remaining, I may be looking VERY hard at the consumption during the drive, especially in the winter. For %, I would have to develop the % that would be equivalent. Could I do it, sure, I would need 30% say. But miles seems easier.

If the car says x % how many more miles can you drive?
If the car says x miles how many more miles can you drive?

What's better is whatever makes it easier for you to do the math.
You don't do math if you're using the rated miles. It's just looking at how big your fudge factor is:
Can I do this 35 miles? Display says 60--sure. Display says 38--no, that would be dumb--not enough wiggle room.

ALWAYS use the Navigator to get range.

Set your battery display to percentage.
That's a hilarious Polyanna response since the navigation still won't do waypoints. So it can't total up the distances for going three or four places where it's about 15 to here and then 10 miles over to that and then 15 to that place and then about 10 back home, etc.

That's a hilarious Polyanna response since the navigation still won't do waypoints. So it can't total up the distances for going three or four places where it's about 15 to here and then 10 miles over to that and then 15 to that place and then about 10 back home, etc.

One reason to buy a Tesla is not to have to be concerned about the battery when running around locally like that.

Heck, I'll run to the airport and back (70 mile round-trip) and some errands without giving any thought to how the battery is doing.

One reason to buy a Tesla is not to have to be concerned about the battery when running around locally like that.

Heck, I'll run to the airport and back (70 mile round-trip) and some errands without giving any thought to how the battery is doing.
And I most of the time don't need to worry about it. But tonight, for instance, I was going out to four different places before coming back home, and was guesstimating how far it would all be, and the car showed 131 rated miles on it before leaving, and I thought just by eyeballing it that yeah, that should be enough. % just isn't instantly informative like that without having to do conversion mathematics.

But yeah, that lovely that you forcibly tell everyone to use %, and then when I pointed out one of the complications with that because of lack of waypoints, you pouted and marked it with a disagree.

Reactions: artnalex
I find that using miles is better when I am close to not making it to a destination...it forces me to drive slower and turn off the AC/heat.
Plus you can see percentage on energy trip display (unfortunately you need to enter destination)

I vote for Tesla showing both or find an easier way to toggle.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Agree...I have a Fiat 500e as well and it shows both. The percent charge is the accuracy gauge while the miles remaining is a gauge of how aggressive you have trending. I hope my Y will get both ultimately as they are both useful.
Since you are coming from another electric car, I should clarify this, because a lot of people assume the meters operate the same way.
That Fiat 500e and most others show that "miles" number on the display, which is being auto-adjusted by your past efficiency and driving behaviors. Many people call it the Guess-O-Meter.

Tesla doesn't do that meter the same way. The "rated miles" number shown on that battery bar is just scaled by an efficiency constant, so it doesn't depend on who has been driving and past behavior. It's more like just a fuel gauge, but converted to a unit that is a little bit more comprehensible: the slightly optimistic EPA driving range.

To get the one you're talking about, the one that does a calculated estimate based on your driving habits, that is available in the Energy app on the scree, which @Canefan456 was talking about.

• Informative
Reactions: mark95476
To get the one you're talking about, the one that does a calculated estimate based on your driving habits, that is available in the Energy app on the scree, which @Canefan456 was talking about.

Speaking of the Energy app, do you know what the difference is between the wh/mi data on the Energy app vs. the 'card' display (i.e., 'since last charge', etc.)?

I've noticed the wh/mi is different between the Energy app (say the last 5 or 15 mi) and the 'card' when the miles driven on the card is the same as the Energy app. Usually, the wh/mi on the card is higher than what's displayed in the Energy app.