Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did they give a reason why?
Stopping distance. When it drops down to freezing all seasons (which should really be called 3 season tires) turn hard, and you can't stop in a short distance. I learned this the hard way when I slid right through an intersection when the light turned red. Winter tires remain soft and you can stop shorter.

That response to the OP from that Tesla person (clearly not a technical person, nor a person that has dealt with winter tires) reminds me of asking the random teenage grocery store worker where they keep the yeast. That kid has never purchased groceries ever, so he/she is not that useful...
Except that not knowing where the yeast is isn't likely to get the customer injured/killed in an accident like that Tesla support person's advice will.

I have also ordered a P3D with Performance Upgrades package and instead of purchasing an entirely new set of wheels and tires, I plan on buying these winter tires which fit perfectly on the 20" performance wheels: PILOT ALPIN PA4 N-SPEC - SIZE: 235/35R20

This is an interesting option. My (hopefully) soon-to-come P3D+ is a second, sportier ride for us. We’ll use it year round but likely not in heavy snow. The X will be the go-to then. So keeping the 20’’ wheels in winter but mounting these Michelins on them would allow us to retain the look and sports feel year round.

Yeah if the 18” don’t work out, might just do this.

That's what my thought was as well. Looks like the OEM 18"s won't fit, interestingly enough... the rear brakes are the issue.

Here's what I've been thinking:

Earlier today I went on my first test drive of a Model 3, the Performance version. And to say I was extremely impressed is the biggest understatement. I'm likely going to be ordering a P3D with the PUO wheels/brakes. My main concern is with the Summer Performance tires that come with it. In RI, we get a decent amount of snow every year, so winter tires, or at least All-Seasons will be necessary, especially when Michelin warns against driving the P3S's in temps under 40F.

While at the Tesla store (Dedham, MA), I asked the sales guy if the Tesla Factory would swap out the 20"s with the 19"s that have the Continental All-Seasons. However, he mentioned that another customer asked the same question, and they won't. And even less likely, the same customer asked if the Factory could swap out the Summer tires with similar 20" All-Seasons (specifically: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, either W or Y-rated). As expected, they won't.

I know Tesla offers the 19" wheels with winter tires on their store, they're a $3,500 USD option....a bit pricey I think. Not sure what might be available for aftermarket wheels for the P3D? Looking at tire-rack.com, they have several wheel choices starting out at around $149 USD/wheel -- Platinum Wheels Elite - Black Painted. But I'm not sure about the bolt pattern, offset, and whether they'd fit with the larger PUO brakes and rotors. I reached out to @MadHungarian on the other Forum for insight. But any other insight and suggestions would be great.

--Cintoman

That's what my thought was as well. Looks like the OEM 18"s won't fit, interestingly enough... the rear brakes are the issue.

Here's what I've been thinking:

Earlier today I went on my first test drive of a Model 3, the Performance version. And to say I was extremely impressed is the biggest understatement. I'm likely going to be ordering a P3D with the PUO wheels/brakes. My main concern is with the Summer Performance tires that come with it. In RI, we get a decent amount of snow every year, so winter tires, or at least All-Seasons will be necessary, especially when Michelin warns against driving the P3S's in temps under 40F.

While at the Tesla store (Dedham, MA), I asked the sales guy if the Tesla Factory would swap out the 20"s with the 19"s that have the Continental All-Seasons. However, he mentioned that another customer asked the same question, and they won't. And even less likely, the same customer asked if the Factory could swap out the Summer tires with similar 20" All-Seasons (specifically: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, either W or Y-rated). As expected, they won't.

I know Tesla offers the 19" wheels with winter tires on their store, they're a $3,500 USD option....a bit pricey I think. Not sure what might be available for aftermarket wheels for the P3D? Looking at tire-rack.com, they have several wheel choices starting out at around $149 USD/wheel -- Platinum Wheels Elite - Black Painted. But I'm not sure about the bolt pattern, offset, and whether they'd fit with the larger PUO brakes and rotors. I reached out to @MadHungarian on the other Forum for insight. But any other insight and suggestions would be great.

--Cintoman

After hearing from everyone I think my final plan will be to swap my 20inch summer treads with the 20 inch all season treads. I'll store the summer treads until Tesla hopefully sorts things out and either A) we find out the 19inch winter wheel set fits fine, or B) they offer a winter 20inch wheel set (or other alternative). Then I can always put the summer treads back on the original wheels, grab the additional winter wheel set and sell the all seasons. Or if I'm super-lazy and don't care at the point - I might just keep rolling with the all seasons and sell the summers. I could care less if the all seasons don't have the acoustic tech as I'm usually blasting music anyway :)

After hearing from everyone I think my final plan will be to swap my 20inch summer treads with the 20 inch all season treads. I'll store the summer treads until Tesla hopefully sorts things out and either A) we find out the 19inch winter wheel set fits fine, or B) they offer a winter 20inch wheel set (or other alternative). Then I can always put the summer treads back on the original wheels, grab the additional winter wheel set and sell the all seasons. Or if I'm super-lazy and don't care at the point - I might just keep rolling with the all seasons and sell the summers. I could care less if the all seasons don't have the acoustic tech as I'm usually blasting music anyway :)

This might be the way I'll go too....remove the Summer PS4S's that come with the 20" wheels and replace them with All-Season 20" ones, and not have to worry about swapping a summer/winter set.

Wasn't sure if there'd be a market to sell 20"s nearly new PS4S's, but @zackmilo looks like a first customer for such a purchase.

--Cintoman

Reactions: nogassnorlax
Are the Tesla stock tires on 18&19, ultra high performance all-season tires like these? Those may be good for most of the year but likely useless in 1+ foot snow storm in New England.

The 18"s are Michelin MXV Primacy's IIRC, definitely a economy/range tire.
The 19"s are Continental ProContacts. I don't think they're as high-performance as the tirerack link ones.

--Cintoman

The 18"s are Michelin MXV Primacy's IIRC, definitely a economy/range tire.
The 19"s are Continental ProContacts. I don't think they're as high-performance as the tirerack link ones.

--Cintoman
Thanks. Hoping we get some clarity in near future about what could fit on the P3D+ for winter. 20” winter tires are quite expensive and I’d rather have a different set of wheels anyway

Yeah, the only problem is that the current tires on the 20 inch performance wheels will literally fail at 20 degrees and aren't recommended below 40 degrees. The only real solution (for at least this winter) is the replace the summer treads with winter treads.
I would agree, fail is too extreme of a portrayal of what would happen, my speculation is that we would see slow degradation to grip strength to the pavement.
Better to be safe than sorry, so I agree with your suggestion about using winter tires for winter.

I would agree, fail is too extreme of a portrayal of what would happen, my speculation is that we would see slow degradation to grip strength to the pavement.
Better to be safe than sorry, so I agree with your suggestion about using winter tires for winter.

Well, not fail as in "fall off the rims"

But fail as in "increase stopping distance by hundreds of feet" compared to winter tires in snow- which is pretty bad.

Above 35-40 degrees summer tires > anything else
Below 35-40 degrees winter tires > anything else

All seasons are 2nd or 3rd best, in all seasons.

I ended up instead ordering an AWD non-Performance Model 3. When running the numbers for the added expense of the P model, the PUO package, and then either getting a set of All-Season tires or buying a dedicated set of winter tires/wheel, I felt it was beyond my already stretched budget.

--Cintoman

As a soon-to-be owner of a P3D+ in a region where winter temperatures frequently dip to -30 and the roads can be covered in ice for weeks at a time, all-season tires are not going to cut it for me. I am intently watching this thread for a solution to appear.