Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thats something I hadn't considered. Looks like a swap and balance costs $50-150 depending on location. Does swapping every year have any effect on the tires themselves?

I personally am not a fan of stretching out the rubber each time. Had to do it only once and winced at the added stress for them. Some will say no big deal, but IMO, I don't want 'stretch marks' on my performance babies. I dropped a good bill on this car and they're getting a dedicated set for winter AND summer.

• Informative
Reactions: nogassnorlax
wow....what a response from Tesla. I read it 5 times and still don't understand how caliper clearances can impact tire wear.

Check out the below thread. From this it appears that even some 18" wheels (not the Aeros). I expect the 19s will fit. I would prefer aftermarket 18s if it could work. The winter rims are pretty much sacrificial anyways.

That $5k Performance Upgrade option, Part Deux

The online tire/wheel shops will need some time to find 18s that will fit over the P+ big brakes. I can almost guarantee you that there are 18s out there that will fit. If all else fails, when I get my P+ (aug/oct estimate, betting on october), I have a friend with a 3 that has the 19" wheels. We will see if those fit.

Yeah, this is something that's really given me pause to getting a P. Initially my concern was that I was done with doing the winter/summer wheel swap. I have an 05 Mercedes C230 Sport Sedan that I do that now: Come late Nov, I jack the car up and swap my summer wheels/tires with my winter wheels/tires setup. Then swap them again come late March. A bit of a pain, but I've been doing this for 12 years already. It only takes about an hour of my time.

I'm definitely not a fan of having to bring my car to a wheel shop and have them swap the summer tires with the winter ones. I think removing and mounting tires 2x a year, plus rebalancing will eventually wreck havoc on the wheels. I hate having to clean the wheel weight sticker residue left behind from the old wheel weights. Plus some shops, what they use to scrape off the old weights will honestly scare you.

So I've been wondering what people who are ordering the P Model 3 in the snowy climates are doing for their winter setup. Fred Lambert of Electrek is one of them. And his neck of the woods in Canada gets the same if not more snow than my area (RI).

The Tesla response, IMO, is ridiculous. There is no way you can use the Michelin's in the winter below 40F; it will develop cracks in the rubber. So no matter how good a driver you are. Plus the comments on the sidewall hitting the calipers??? Really?? And this is the responses you get from inquiring a bunch of people who know a lot about this car?

If I decide on the P Model 3, I'm probably going to go with some aftermarket wheel with some dedicated winter tires. But, I would need to know if 19" aftermarkets would fit with the P's larger brakes.

-- Cintoman

• Informative
Reactions: nogassnorlax
If you don't like doing it yourself (this is me really) take it to a reputable shop. I load up the winter set (Wheels and tires) and have my local shop do the swap for me in like 15 minutes (Keeping care to not scuff up my good rims ;) )

But like what I and @Cintoman said above... Just swapping the tire itself is probably not the best idea...

Reactions: Cintoman
I have also ordered a P3D with Performance Upgrades package and instead of purchasing an entirely new set of wheels and tires, I plan on buying these winter tires which fit perfectly on the 20" performance wheels: PILOT ALPIN PA4 N-SPEC - SIZE: 235/35R20

In addition to the car looking awesome blasting through snow on 20s, it helps avoid spending all that extra money on an extra set of wheels. Additionally, the slightly larger contact patch of the 20s might actually provide slighty better traction than a smaller sized wheel/tire.
Actually, the larger contact patch results in poorer ice and deep snow traction. That is why many winter tires are narrower. Tire Rack discusses this on their winter tire site. Many go minus 1 with a smaller wheel.

What are your guys thoughts on switching out the summers for all seasons on the 20” and calling it a day?

This is my thought as well, because I've been fine with my RWD Model S in the winter with all-season tires, and I would expect the Model 3 to be better than that given that it is AWD. The only concern would be finding all-season tires in the right size with the acoustic foam like in the tires Tesla provides.

Did they give a reason why?

Simply unnecessary wear with a good chance of potential damage to the tire due to stretching each time you swap the tires off the rims. Just a personal thing I wouldn’t do to my tires (for this reason). Factor in the cost for the mounting plus balancing each time, doing this twice a year adds up. I’d rather spend the money on a dedicated set of wheels for winter vs risking the pretty summer set.

Another big factor too in ones decision is space. I’m lucky to actually have space I cleared out of my garage for a set of wheels. Other people simply have too many things (lawn mowers, kids toys etc :) ) or no garage at all. In that case, get the best all seasons you can get and be done.

Simply unnecessary wear with a good chance of potential damage to the tire due to stretching each time you swap the tires off the rims. Just a personal thing I wouldn’t do to my tires (for this reason). Factor in the cost for the mounting plus balancing each time, doing this twice a year adds up. I’d rather spend the money on a dedicated set of wheels for winter vs risking the pretty summer set.

Another big factor too in ones decision is space. I’m lucky to actually have space I cleared out of my garage for a set of wheels. Other people simply have too many things (lawn mowers, kids toys etc :) ) or no garage at all. In that case, get the best all seasons you can get and be done.

I meant like permanently switch to the all seasons as the daily tire. That should be a solid option, right?